1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange setup and questions...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mjferguson, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Ok all, I recently bought a second home and have taken a receiver there to have dtv. The receiver worked great for all channels except locals, as explained in a previous post, more than likely out of spot beam. Well I hooked up a AM21 with antenna today and now nothing is working. After looking into the setup a little more I am thoroughly confused. The dish, a slimeline, has one wire coming out of the lnb, so I assume a SWM? Bare with me, I am pretty green here. It goes to a splitter below the dish that goes to two different rooms, we're only using one. I see no power anywhere? I thought an SWM needed some sort of power? Checked all cables and nothing has actually changed except the AM21 connection, now removed. So one RG6 from the slimeline dish to the receiver with nothing in between and it was working for all but locals. Now just getting a 771A error? Any input would be appreciated. I have double checked all cables, everything looks fine all the way from the dish to the TV?

Receiver is an HR21. Followed all lines from receiver to dish, no PI and it was working for several days?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like the previous owner may have taken the PI with them.
    Yes a SWiM needs a PI, and in some [bad] cases a receiver will barely power it.
    Think you might need to get the SAT working before anything else will work.

3. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    Makes sense now if the receiver can possibly power the satellite. Puzzling to me that I have had a perfect picture with 90+ signal for over a week. Now I unplugged the receiver and can't get it back.

Any chance Radio Shack or anywhere else would have a PI? I don't want to miss the entire weekend of football because of this! :mad:

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Radio Shack will not have one, I think your only chance would be a dealer that sells and installs. These are usually independent shops, NOT chains and there are not very many

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I didn't think Directv Allowed customers to take one of their DVRs to another house.

Aren't you Violating your Directv TOS?

Also, it is a SLIMLINE Dish and Not Slimeline.