1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Thunder

Discussion in 'The OT' started by ProfLonghair, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1 of 11
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Yesterday, around 5:40 AM, we had what sounded like an approaching thunderstorm. It was unique in that it sounded like one continuous roll of thunder, with maybe a few small breaks. I know there were several distinct rolls, but they overlapped so much it was a bit tough to tell.

Here's what makes this worth reporting:

1) I never saw any lightning flares. It sounded distant, so I figured it never quite got to our area,

BUT

2) It managed to reset the clock on the microwave, start the D* receiver in the basement (happens on some pikes, but not sure why only this one), and that's it. No other clocks, fans, nothing else

3) It didn't show up on radar. I check online when I got up @ 6, and weather.com has about an hour or so of the most recent radar, and it was clear.

Any ideas what that was? If it was cloud-to-cloud, it would have had to have been high enough to escape radar, and yet somehow, close enough to effect at least some of my electronics.

2. Aug 3, 2010 #2 of 11
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "There is a fifth dimension...a dimension of sight and sound and mind...you've just crossed over to..."

3. Aug 3, 2010 #3 of 11
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago in the wee hours of the morning - at first I thought it was a large truck rumbling down the driveway next to my house.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #4 of 11
    mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    You thought that was strange? That was only the beginning. Yes... only the beginning...

5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 11
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    probably cloud-to-cloud in a dry thunderstorm. No rain = no RADAR echoes.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 11
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    And they call the thunder.... Aurora!

Attached Files:

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 11
    Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    I hope it didn't sound too much like the thunder in the remake of War of The Worlds with Tom Cruise

[​IMG]

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 11
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I lived in south Florida for ten years and twice this happened shortly after a thunder storm had cleared the area about 15 min after sunlight had returned.

One single clap (Extra loud!!) of thunder that shook windows,walls,ground and so on,Never detected a flash but that was probably due to full daylight conditions.

It was just the title of this thread that reminded me of the events,Both times it didn't seem extremely close but what made it note worthy was the extreme power of the sound/bolt.:eek2:

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 11
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Aliens. Actually aliens with probes. We'll leave it at that before it becomes family unfriendly. :p

10. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    This was called "Rolling Thunder" back before it became a military term. No uncommon.

11. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Would cloud to cloud cause enough electrical disturbance to reset clocks and stuff?

Funny, been watching that the last week or so while on the treadmill.

Oh, and this morning MORE than made up for it. Around 3:30AM, had worse thunder, but this one definitely had lightning and rain. I don't know that I've ever seen that much lightning in my life