"Stranger Things" gets second season on Netflix

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Aug 31, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The announcement for the second season is this video listing the "chapter" titles for season 2:

[youtubehd]aXWG_kKDZlY[/youtubehd]

You can pick your news story announcing the second season. The Hollywood Reporter had an interesting interview with the producer of this show which appears to have had a larger following than anything on "regular" TV except the Olympics.

I waited for awhile to see if anyone would start a discussion on this streaming-only hit that both my wife and I loved, as apparently did a whole lot of other folks.

It's interesting that we really haven't had titled threads on streaming "channel" original shows.

2. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    We watched the 1st episode and thought it was pretty good. Will definitely watch the whole season. We like the Netflix series as we can binge watch episodes and not have to worry that after 5 episodes it will get cancelled.

3. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I binged on it, it's one of the best shows in years. I was surprised there was no discussion about it here until now.

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There is a "discussion board" problem with streaming shows when a season of, say, 10 episodes is released all at once. You can't discuss episode 3 the following week because many viewers, particularly the shows fans, have seen the whole season while many viewers might not watch the show until next month.

It is even problematic with a show like Hulu's "Casual" which was released as a weekly episode. Still at the end of the "season" all episodes are there and many viewers will watch it three months from now.

Every post would be a spoiler for a lot of potential future viewers.

I don't know any good way to discuss "Stranger Things" here without spoiling it for someone and I really, really think that had it appeared on the Fox broadcast network the year after "X-Files" ended it would have been a discussion board favorite as well as a huge hit.

5. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    We need to create a type of separate thread on awareness of a show and then a spoilers thread of said show. Stranger Things is to good of a show to not be able to discuss.

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    By the way Phrelin, did you enjoy it?

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We weren't real sure in the beginning because neither of us are horror-genre enthusiasts and it seemed like this show is that genre. But really, it is a complex show that not only tweaks your memories of 1970's - 1980's movies you loved in many genres - I mean it has a Stand By Me meets ET core feel - but offers within its darkest depths a psychological thriller element represented by this scene as Eleven (are we giving a subtle reference to Seven-of-Nine in a Firestarter-like character) deals with the monster (or is it "her" monster):

[​IMG]

And yet, at another level its feel is a clear "X-Files" government conspiracy taken on by the local Sheriff and Winona Ryder's mom character - a weird shout-out to the Scully and Mulder team.

I could go on as one can see so much in this, but simply we see it as great TV.

8. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Just saw the first episode. Looks like I am all in.