Streaming doubles, 646,152 unique program titles available - Nielsen

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Feb 11, 2020 at 1:03 PM.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per The Hollywood Reporter (emphasis added):

The ratings service's latest total audience report takes a deep dive into the streaming ecosystem, revealing that the majority of TV consumers pay for more than one SVOD service, that streaming usage in OTT-capable households has nearly doubled in less than two years and that there is a virtually endless supply of content available to those users.

...Using data from the Nielsen-owned Gracenote (which powers TV listings guides and search functions for on-demand providers), the company determined that in 2019 alone, a mind-boggling 646,152 unique program titles were available across every linear and streaming outlet. That's every series (current and past), movie, special, news program, sports telecast and kids' show that ran on one platform or another, from broadcast networks to Netflix to niche streaming services.

That staggering number does not count individual episodes, Nielsen senior vp audience insights Peter Katsingris told The Hollywood Reporter: "There are [236] episodes of Friends, but Friends just counts once here. You can imagine when people go to choose content, they can get very specific."​

Uh... No wonder I'm struggling to create some sort of schedule for viewing. I was overwhelmed when the cable network FX research reported that 532 original scripted series aired in 2019. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The significance of this should not be underestimated.

[​IMG] For the first third of my adulthood, TV entertainment encouraged American households nationwide to share an entertainment experience for several hours a night.

Now 300,000,000+ Americans can huddle down with their earphones staring at individual screens watching what appeals based on which one of the 100,000+ American cultural sub-identities with which they identify, never being confused by an "All In The Family" show challenging commonly shared assumptions.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It is a lot to process, I get that. I gave up on jumping from one program to another and ended up just binging on series because there is so much stuff out there. I understand what you're trying to do to replicate the "old way" of watching, I tried that years ago and gave up. Too confusing for me.

Rich

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, there are literally a ton of shows and movies to watch out there in the streaming world. And there are ways to watch ranging from antenna to cable/sat to streaming with some overlap too, so running out of something good to watch is isn’t all that hard, and if you can stand ads, not expensive either.

If you don’t care a whit about keeping current with what the broadcast and cable channels have today, but just want to watch some enjoyable video, you don’t have to pay for a subscription at all. Just for your internet service.

If you have to have the current from many ‘channels’ then there are quite a few ways of skinning that cat inexpensively. From OTT services like YouTubeTV and others which operate somewhat similar to the way cable/sat does, to mixing it up with a few services to accomplish the same thing.

Last week I was using only YouTubeTV to fairly evaluate it. Worked well, a few quirks of its own of course. This week I’m using a combo of OTA w/Tivo, SlingTV Blue, Hulu and CBS All Access. It works well too though it takes a little more work to set things in place if I want to ‘record’ new episodes. With this week’s trial I can watch all but live local channels on nearly anything that can get to the internet. With YTTV, I can even get live local channels too.

Talk about versatility!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...