1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stretch to Pillar Box Ghost

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mr1213, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr1213

mr1213 AllStar

Feb 12, 2007
    Several times in the past month my stretch setting has changed to pillar box seemingly by itself. Anyone else experienced this? I have HR20-700 with 17e. What could be causing this? Otherwise, unit is working fine.

2. dngrant

dngrant AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    I haven't experienced this personally.

Do you change channels when it switches, or are you watching the same channel.

I assume these are SD channels. Am I correct?

3. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I have seen it happen. For me it happened a few times coming out of the list or guide.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Have you tried going to native ON? At that point your TV could handle the scaling and the HR20 wouldn't try to pillar box.

5. Philby

Philby AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    My Native is on - and my setting changed from stretch to pillar box at some point during the day yesterday.

My GF was watching TV in the morning and later that afternoon the same SD channel (and all SD channels) were pillar boxed. I went into the menu and changed it back to stretch and everything is working fine now.

6. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    It has happened to me.

7. mr1213

mr1213 AllStar

Feb 12, 2007
    Apparently I am not alone. I have native on, and yes, it is only for SD channels, which, hopefully, I won't need to watch soon.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Second button down from the upper left on the remote changes format, so there is no need to go into the setup menu to make the change.
    Could this same button have been pressed by mistake/accident?

9. mr1213

mr1213 AllStar

Feb 12, 2007
    Not in my case, VOS. This button is not programmed into my universal remote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.