1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck at activation screen on new HR24-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Brian_R, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 #1 of 28
    Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Well I received my new owned HR24-500 earlier this week, called DirecTV and verified again that it was owned and in the clear, transferred to the access card department and they shipped out my new access card.

I got it in the mail today and went about setting up the receiver to swap out a D12 I have in a bedroom. Everything went smoothly (unit lighted up, started setup) until I got to the screen "Call 1-800-DIRECTV for activation and provide the RID and Access Card Number". I followed the directions on the access card mailer and called the automated system. I followed the prompts and surprisingly got auto-transferred to an operator. She then tried sending every signal she could to the box to no avail. She then transferred me to the protection plan service group where she tried sending activation signals with no success. I have a tech coming out Monday morning, but maybe there's something I'm missing or something I could tell the people over the phone to try?

I checked the signal tests and everything was registering similar to my other receivers, so wiring isn't an issue.

Also what things to I need to be weary / aware of when the tech arrives? I don't want to get screwed and end up with my owned receiver leaving and getting stuck with a leased one.

Thanks! :)

2. May 7, 2011 #2 of 28
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Seen that on a few occasions; some of the owned receivers seems to pre-assigned to some [business or employee perhaps] installations.

3. May 7, 2011 #3 of 28
    Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    So what typically is needed to fix it?

4. May 7, 2011 #4 of 28
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sometimes advanced support did helps, sometimes the box is need to be replaced.

5. May 7, 2011 #5 of 28
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Go online and see if the receiver shows active on your account.

6. May 7, 2011 #6 of 28
    Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    It shows up as active on the account.

7. May 7, 2011 #7 of 28
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Unplug it for 5 minutes then plug it back in. Let it sit there for about 30 minutes before you choose any options. See if it prompts for a software download. It seems like the receiver itself is hung on that part of the software.

8. May 7, 2011 #8 of 28
    Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Followed the steps and no prompt for a SW download. Went through the wizard (Language screen, dish configuration (17, SWM, Dual) since I don't have an order code I left that blank and click continue. It verifies the config with 3-4 passes of the busy progress bar and then back to the activation screen.

9. May 7, 2011 #9 of 28
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It will never pass the screen regardless of FW version. Guarantied !

10. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    BTW thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it! :)

Is there anything I can tell support (check to see if the receiver is still associated with an old account?) that they could try?

Also what do I need to be weary of when the tech shows up tomorrow so I don't get screwed over?

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Have you put this DVR in place of another known good working unit? That will validate wiring (both from the dish and to the TV).

Have you verified sat setup is same as your other receivers?

As to what to be wary of when tech comes, it sounds like you are very concerned about having an owned unit, so don't let the tech replace the unit, as the replacement will be leased. If the DVR is defective, you need to deal with the source where you obtained it.

12. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    1) Yes. Tried in two separate rooms.

2) Just verified that it does say the same on both a working / non-working unit (Satellite config 17, SWM)

3) Since it's owned and it's under the protection plan it should be swapped in kind. The access card department rep said as such when I ordered the card. I've just heard horror stories on here with owned devices being swapped out with leased devices instead of an owned - owned swap and wanted to be prepared.

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    in past I thought I had seen someone say changing dish type, reboot, change back and reboot again helped. was long time ago though so I dunno if applies.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Forgot to mention of forced upgrade the FW - press firmly 0-2-4-6-8 (only the buttons !) on IR remote right when first screen will up.
    Try, just for finish with some speculations (I did try that for new, OOB, H23 and HR23 - no dice].

15. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Tried and was able to update the FW to 459 no problem, however when running through the wizard afterwards I got stuck at the same screen.

I also tried putting in a bogus order number and it at least got me to a different verifying progress screen before kicking out with the invalid code.

16. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    It auto-identifies the dish configuration. I can't change it unless I unplug the cable before start up, then connect it on the dish configuration page.

Tried it that way anyway and still no go.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sorry, but post#9 is correct.

18. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Yeah the person over the phone (and supervisor) said that the signal strength to receive an activation signal needs to be higher than what's required to receive a SW download.

Even though the signal strength in the tests are all above 90 I have to presume that's the case. :/

19. Brian_R

Brian_R AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Well the tech will be here shortly. Just verified again over the phone that my unit is still an owned receiver and it shows up on my equipment list on the directv.com website. Hopefully this all works out!

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had that problem a couple times with Techs in my home. Each time it was cleared up by pushing the red button or the Tech making a call to verify his "number". Always better to have a Tech (if you can actually find one) with you when you first activate a 24.

Rich