1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck with Showtime?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mkelley, May 23, 2010.

1. mkelley

mkelley New Member

May 23, 2010
    It's been ages since I've had DirecTV (at least a decade) and back then I *wanted* the premium channels (with blu-ray now, not so much).

I tried signing up again and find that no matter what package I'm stuck with some premium channels, "free" for three months (but then I have to pay for them). There is no indication I can cancel this anywhere -- is that true? Is there no way you can just have the core service without at least one premium channel? (If so, it's bait and switch at the worst).

I'm already not happy that the basic price will go up after 12 months -- seems like false advertising to say their price is one thing and then be able to raise it within your contract period -- but I'll live with that. But I won't sign up if I'm stuck with Showtime for the whole period (I never cared much for it when I had ALL the premium channels :>)

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    No, you don't have to have any premiums if you don't want them. Just call and and cancel. The only catch is, if you add some later, there is a penalty for canceling them within 30 days of adding them.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Complaining for getting free premiums? Hmm.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    All you have to do is call and cancel Showtime prior to the end of the free period to avoid future charges, or, instead of ordering online, just call to order DirecTV and decline the free Showtime offer.

It's really not that difficult.

5. mkelley

mkelley New Member

May 23, 2010
    Thanks to all -- just wanted to be sure I wasn't get stuck.