1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Students suspended for a year in NY bus monitor bullying

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Stewart Vernon, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    From the article:

"Four seventh-grade boys from upstate New York who were caught on video mercilessly taunting a 68-year-old bus monitor have received their punishment.

Each student will also be required to complete 50 hours of community service with senior citizens.
    "

Full article here.

Ok...

Since we had a thread last year on school bullying and police/government involvement, I thought this news was interesting because it relates to something I had said in that thread.

In that thread we had a lot of people taking the stance that "kids are kids" and "need to learn how to deal with" bullies... and that it teaches them about the real world and so forth... I, and some others, argued that bullying serves no real purpose and for schools to knowingly allow it was absurd AND that if this happened to an adult, everyone would cheer if the bullies were punished.

So, here we go...

Not only did the kids get suspended for a year, and have to do 50 hours of community service for bullying the adult... but also people took up a collection and gave this person quite a bit of money.

Now imagine... if instead of an adult bus monitor being teased and bullied... it was another kid on the bus... Do you think a collection would have been taken up? Do you think the bullies would have gotten a year suspension and hours of community service?

I'm betting no.

Thoughts?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Those kids were sickening to watch. Kids like that, I wish could attend those Scared Straight programs where they get scared s***less by big intimidating inmates.

3. acer505

acer505 Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    +1

4. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    My daughters could not believe the lack of respect from this kids! They were pretty mad that kids would do that. I've taught them that respect, responsibility, honesty, and trustworthiness will take them far in this world. It's a shame that this happened but its also a sad look into the future. :(

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd take it further. Would the collection be taken up if it was a 68 year old man? Or a 40 year old woman?

Yes, kids will be kids. Normal teasing shouldn't carry the same penalties as bullying. But they probably would not have gotten as severe a punishment.

6. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I should probably also have said that I agree with the punishments here... I remember back when I was in 4th grade there was a teacher in that school (not one of mine) but I saw her more than once leave her classroom in tears and the kids in the class were excited about having driven her to that.

I grant you that you have to be thick skinned to be around kids and to control them and command their respect... but kids shouldn't be able to be that outwardly cruel and out of control either. I'm pretty sure that teacher was gone before the end of that year and I was young enough that I never did know what the whole deal was or what happened... but I don't remember any of the kids in that class disappearing from suspension or anything like I definitely remember the teacher not coming back.

7. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Totally agree with the punishment. Kids get away with too much and they need the swift kick in the ass brought back. Problem is lazy parents!

8. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I agree with the basic punishment but instead of 80 hours of community service and a year "vacation" from school the kids should have to do the community service everyday of the missed school year.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Now THAT'S an appropriate punishment !

10. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They're still attending school... an alternative school.

11. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    It's not going to be "a vacation from school" they have to go to a special school for kids that cause problems. Very strict, no friends, no phones, no sports, just work, work, work. Believe me they won't be laughing anymore.

My biggest gripe is that the kid who physically touched her wasn't arrested for assault. It's one thing to verbally taunt somebody, but once you touch a person that crosses the line. Now, I'm not saying the kid should be tossed in prison, but certainly should be put on a supervised probation until he's 18. If he stays clean until then the court can seal the case so it doesn't go his record.

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Pardon me for putting you on the spot... because I don't remember if you were involved in our previous school bullying thread.

But... do you feel the same if the object of the punishment (i.e. the victim) was also a kid in school? Many in that thread didn't think such punishment was warranted for a kid or kids bullying another kid.

That's why I started this thread... to put something of a point on how kids victimized of bullies don't get the same protection by the law or our society that adults do.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Not here in NJ. Kids love suspension here. In fact, the school my wife works in they intentionally try to get suspended just for that purpose. They now have to be home schooled by Teachers who we have to pay the OT for in taxes since the state is required by law to provide "normal" education for those who are suspended. Suspension is totally meaningless as a punishment.

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It says "alternative program" not "alternative SCHOOL." If it's like here in NJ in the district where my wife works they get private home schooling. It's like a vacation. They love it and we pay for it.

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That may be how your wife's ISD is, but it's different elsewhere and not fun at all.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's really hard for folks who have never walked the streets in the City to comprehend how these kids behave. Most of the public schools seem to be in disarray. We see it here in NJ in some places.

What I'm trying to say is: They are not normal kids, not what most of you are used to.

Rich

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They should have given the parents the same time doing community service. If they could find them.

Rich

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Yes it was terrible behaviour and im glad it was videotapped and they got thiers!!!!

The poor bus monitor made out great though :) (Over $500,000 i heard)