1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumped...Any suggestions???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by UPEngineer, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    Hello all,

I am at a loss and so is DTV technical support...

My brother in law called a few days ago and talked them into sending him a free HR20 to replace his HR10-250.

It arrived today and I take it out of the box and it is a refurb unit. HR20-700 btw.

He already had the Slimline dish installed a while back....Where he has his receiver there is only a Single Line (No SWM).

Hooked it up and it already had the latest national release. Went through guided setup and he went to activate it and there is a problem....

According to their records, that receiver is already activated on someone elses account. After about 30 minutes and reading the Serial # and Access Card # 100 times or so it gets activated.

Now here is the fun part.....

Again only one line...I had it is SAT 1 (FTM) in with a BBC hooked to it....

No locals yet, had to call them back and got them going....

Went to Smithsonian HD channel and it came in and looked very very good...
    Went to another channel and I get Searching for Signal (771) Tuner 2 on every single channel now.

Reboot and all is well.....Most not all of the new HD channels come in fine...But some like FoodHD and HGTV HD I get the searching for signal again and then none of the channels work.

Reboot is only thing that helps....Switched from Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 with cable...Switched BBC's...Same thing.

Channel 77 and MHD is grey channel and then Searching for Sat signal.

One thing that is weird is I can go into Signal meters and I get 100% aquired on Tuner #1 and I get 96-99 on most all transponders on all the Sats until I get to 103(b). I then get 0 on all transponders from 103b...I then can go look at the other sats and 0 on them as well now.

Go back to Smithsonian HD (which i was watching for 30 mintues before testing transponders)...Now nothing except searching for Sat signal...

Tech support had me reformat and do a bunch of stuff still no joy. She thinks the receiver is bad and I did at first but now I am not so sure.

Is there something that can cause the LNB to hang or go bad or whatever it is doing?

Again, Most of the new HD will come in great. But then you go to like MHD and then everything is out.

Anything else to try? No other lines in house to try it on and I was so pissed after spending a few hours with it that I didnt want to bring it to my house and try it :)

The workaround is that I took off BBC and rebooted and now he gets all of the non-103b signals just fine...All the 70's and such.

I would lean towards something wrong with the 103 LNB but why would I get some of the channels and then nothing? unless all the channels I am getting is on the odd or even polarity and the others are not and it is messing something up.

Sorry so long, but I am open to anything right now!

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The tech who installed the slimline did not have a HR20 to tune in the other satellites. You need to call for a dish alignment or do it yourself.

3. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Let's start at the beginning. You have 1 cable connected to tuner 1 and you selected 1 tuner or single tuner mode in the initial setup. Is this what was done so far?

4. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    If that was the case would I not be getting in the 90's on 103(a)? Our HD locals come in fine...The problem seems to be 103(b) and trying to tune in a channel from the new Sat...He might call Directv to have a tech come out and look and see if he can figure it out.

One other thing I just thought about while typing this is that at one point he had his OTA diplexed...Not and the end where the HR20 is but in the wiring closet. Didn't even think about it until now...Don't know if it is still there or not.

I know you can't diplex with the new dish and all....could this be his source of problems? He is not home right now or i would have him check!

5. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    I have reset it several times and redid setup and everything. No where in there does it mention 1 tuner or single tuner mode. Is there something else I need to do to see this?

It asks about dish, then zip code, and then goes into signal strength but nothing about number of tuners.

6. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    "Reboot is only thing that helps....Switched from Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 with cable...Switched BBC's...Same thing."

The quote above makes me question the single tuner status on initial setup and presents the possibility that the OP is seeing tuner 2 every other channel change.

7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    It can't be diplexed as you already know.

8. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Let me check my manual to be sure. I have installed several tivos and they are this way but I have only done 5 HR20s and never with only one cable.

9. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    That is what I orginnaly thought too.

I even hit record on one channel and then tried to switch channels and get the message about the active tuners are busy recording and if you want to switch channels you have to cancel recording...

But once he gets the Searching for Sat on Tuner 2 then no channels come in at all...Only a reboot will clear it up...

again, we are about ready to back up 10 yards and punt!! :lol:

10. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, Tivo will ask but I was under impression that HR20/R15 automatically adjusted number of tuners on boot.

11. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    You've mentioned "wiring closet", possible OTA, and also "no other lines to try it on".
    Since all your troubleshooting has been only at the box so far, I would suggest simplifying the process way down to start.

See if there's a way you can run one line directly from the dish to the HR. Based upon the possibilities above, you may run into something along the way that might point to your problem (diplexer, a split somewhere at the closet etc. )

If you can get that to work, you can add back OTA which you should do with a separate line if at all possible.

And 70s on 103b would be considered low. You'd still need a realign no matter what.

12. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    OTA was done away with a long time ago, mys sister didnt like the antenna, lol.

He has 90s on 103b until the error message.
    For example if we tune to Smithsonian HD 267, the picture comes in and is great!!
    If you go directly to signal levels 103b is in high 90s.

Tune to MGM 255 picture comes in and high 90 signals on 103b.

Tune to local channel 4 HD-high 90's on signal test.

Tune to 77 - Gray channel no picture.
    Tune to Food HD 231-1 - Searching signal and now zeros on ALL transponders for ALL sats.

No channels will tune in until a reboot of receiver.

It seems just certain channels cause the searching for Sat signal....both the -1 channels, MHD. Takes so long to reboot and all that I don't have a good list. That is why I am wondering if certain channels are even/odd or whatever and the LNB is bad....

13. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Yeah the "dwindling" strengths, plus the fact that it seems to virally move to other SATs does kinda point to the LNB. Is that service call still scheduled? :)

14. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    don't know if he canceled the call or not...I do know they are overnighting him (supposedly) a brand new HR20 not a refurb.

Once he gets home I am gonna check and make sure he does not have one end diplexed when he had OTA setup...didnt even remember about that till a while ago.

15. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    OK. Checking those cables may still be a benefit just in case, like you say, maybe there's an unneeded cable/diplexer etc hanging around in the line.

16. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Have we looked at the possibility of the BBC being bad/intermitent? You said that you have removed and replaced it so it's not just a loose connection.

I have not found confirmation, one way or the other, on the single cable setup. The manual does not mention it nor have I found anything online after a short search. I have PM's out to a couple of guys that know the HR20 inside and out and I will forward the results here.

17. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    well I looked at it again and there was a diplexor in the wiring closet...thought all right, so I removed it and now I can get food HD where I couldnt before but then going to USA-HD, bang searching and now I am rebooting...

I have used three different BBCs. Either there is something else wrong or all 3 are bad (not likely but who knows)

i am done for the night...tomorrow I am going to bring my HR20 over and hook it up....I know it does work....Hopefully it doesnt fry mine :)

18. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    This must be one "heck" of a friend. !devil12: Shoulder :engel10:

19. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    Not friend but family....brother in law and sister..

Bad deal is I talked them into the HR20 and lose their HD Tivo Hr10....:)

So I kind of have to get it to work!!!!!

BAd deal is they want to reactivate the TIVO until the new HR20 arrives but DTV won't do it without another access card. Said their policy is once a card is deactivated it cannot be reactivated.....Didnt feel like arguing with them but I thought I have done it before....Oh well

20. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    If it comes to reactivating the HR10, you have to get by the CSR and go to the tech or access card department. Any late generation card, registered on the account in good standing, can be reactivated but it is rare that a CSR can do it.

One frequent poster here suggested a 0 2 4 6 8, at the welcome screen, forced firmware download for the HR20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.