Stumped with what should be easy install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by J Blow, Aug 14, 2017.

1. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I've been installing my own equipment since my first Sony unit in 1996. It's not rocket science. That said, I'm stumped here on an install.

The house had a Dish setup installed. Looks like it was 2 wires into what would appear to be a combiner type device (looks like distribution or splitter unit) and then a single wire into the house. Of course I swapped the dish out and got a great signal in a wooded area behind a real house. Still surprised. The Dish box was gone when we took possession of house. I tracked the wire into the house with my little tracer unit and hooked into the power inserter - voila, TV at the main unit.

There is no distribution closet, basement room, etc. I looked all over too be sure I'm not missing something but all the wires come into a corner area of the room where it appears they then branch out all over the house. There's a bundle of 4 wires labeled HR1 though HR4. The single coming into the house was in that group. I believe there are only 3 locations downstairs so not sure why 4 wires but also not sure how Dish works. I guess it could be 1 in, 3 out for 4 total. There is another bundle that is labeled attic1 through attic 4. Not sure why they used the term attic but I assume they are referring to the upstairs. It's a little attic like I suppose. Each bundle has 2 white and 2 black wires - labeled rg6. The white is labeled that for sure.

The weird part is that I can't trace any of these wires with my little machine. These simply have to be the wires that are coming out at all the locations. I know the tester is working perfectly as I tested it. It's an odd place to be stuck. What could I possibly be missing?

I researched dish setups and it doesn't appear to be a cause for hangup.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So you replaced the Dish with DIRECTV?

What are you trying to set up? What units do you want when you're done?

3. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Yes, I have Directv. It was wired for Dish before. I just mentioned that in case they use some strange proprietary wiring - which I doubt. I'm assuming the house was wired with RG6 before it was decided they'd have Dish. I just can't understand why the bundle of wires doesn't seem to be the same wires routed to the rooms....but it has to be, right?

I'm just trying to do a standard install with existing wiring. No Genies or anything elaborate, just a HR24 (which is already working at the location the single wire comes in) and a couple other H25s throughout the house.

The dish is a SL3 (swm) but equipment isn't my problem. Sounds like a stupid question but I just can't understand why all the RG6s that seem to be distributed from this single location don't appear to be the cables coming out at each location...but they HAVE to be, I'd think. Just wondering if I'm missing something simple in how they used to be wired for Dish. I removed some splitter like combining device on the outside of the house but it should have no bearing. It appears it was just used to combine a couple sat signals into a single wire output.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Are you using a DirecTV splitter and the power passing port is hooked up correctly ? Their has to be a large splitter to accommodate all your receivers or multiple small ones to branch out to each TV.
    I am not an installer but it sounds like this is not done at this time.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    J Blow, can you post photos or a diagram of the dish and wiring?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How old was the DISH install?
    In general, DISH uses home run wiring. It sounds like that corner was where they placed their distribution switch or splitters. If the home was wired for a single Hopper or Hopper 3 one could use a single wire from the dish. Older setups would normally home run to the dish or a switch with multiple feeds from the dish.

Not being able to match wires is a problem. There could be a switch hiding somewhere unseen. But it is hard to tell without being there.

7. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I haven't even got to the point of trying to use a splitter. I'm very in tune with the needs of making everything work usually. This is my vacation home. My home has a much more elaborate hookup with splitters, etc.

I'm trying to figure out what wires run to the other rooms do I can hook up my distribution block there. Seems simple but the wires have me stumped.

8. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Yes, when I get a minute but honestly there's nothing to see. In the corner where the main working signal comes in, there's 2 bundles of wires going out, assume throughout the house. Seems like I've would be upstairs, the other downstairs.

9. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I would guess the install was about 4 years old.

I just keep thinking there had to be something somewhere else, too, but that didn't make sense. The previous owners likely just disconnected their 3 boxes and left. It was one at the main, one up and one down. There are other hookups scattered throughout the house.

Thanks, all.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    My guess would be- Since you can't (tone) or test the other cables -they once may have been connected to a (BOX) like a switch -somewhere -that was either removed and the cables are open at that point -or they are still connected and that is blocking your tester from being passed through.
    Another thought- Do you have one down lead coming from the Dish now - I assume so as you say you have one location working - BY any chance have you looked at the roof (base) of the dish -the other wires or (BOX) may be connect at the base of the dish - No being used.

11. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Makes as much sense as anything I can come up with. Thanks

WestDC likes this.
  12. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Just guessing HR 1-4 is Home Run prewired before any actual installation. Wires in corner should tone to outside wall of the house. Attic 1-4 were prewired to a location in the attic probably near stairs or hatch. Wall plates go to an attic location where attic 1-4 are terminated.

What is printed on the "splitters" you removed give us some tips as to what was previously installed.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Is there an actual attic? Maybe the wires go to a splitter just inside an access point to the attic. I’ve seen that.

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Glad you found it!

15. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

So, in what I would call the upstairs, there actually is an attic entering through the ceiling in a closet. The 'upstairs' is actually in the roofline so the room up there is narrow - there is also a couple weird entrance points into each side from there as the roof would make the room triangle shaped otherwise.

16. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

Unfortunately, this was what was on the outside of the house. I'm still stumped.

17. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Here is what I removed. It was on the outside of the house. I'm sure it's to run a Hopper and a Joey. Two feeds were coming from the dish into this with only one port was being used and fed to the house. It's a combiner of some sort.

[​IMG]

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The to host output went to the Hopper (and can feed a Joey through a special splitter). The to client output feeds Joeys.

With only one wire leading from the Node either the previous owner had just the Hopper or had the joeys split off elsewhere.

19. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    This would make a lot of sense to me if the wires labeled HR1 through HR4 were active on the first floor. They aren't. For clarity, here was the setup again. At the dish, two wires ran into the 'box' above. One came out and into the house. I traced that wire down to a single wire coming into the corner where the entertainment center sits. After hooking up my dish, I have TV at that location. Also in that location were the 2 bundles of wires I mentioned above. One labeled HR1-4, with two of those being black and two being white. One of the black 'HR' wires is what carried signal into the house. Three remain that I would figure feed three locations on the main floor. The second bundle of 4 wires are labeled Attic1 through Attic4. When I connect my cable tracer (that I know functions) on every single RG6 outlet, I get nothing. I put all my tone finder ends on various outlets and connect my continuity tester to all the other ends....nothing at all.

I just can't understand where there could possibly be something where everything else would join - especially for 2 floors. It makes no sense to have the 8 open cables on one end leading to somewhere else where there another mess of splitters/distribution blocks.

20. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

Yes, my thoughts exactly. With just a single wire coming into the house, it fed the Hopper where I have my working unit now. From there, they fed 2 other Joeys. I know they only had 2 TVs because we bought the house completely furnished. When they left, they grabbed the boxes since I didn't want DISH. I know they didn't access the attic or side crawl spaces to disconnect anything else as those spaces are oddly sealed with hinges that can't move without unbolting several things. They had to have just unhooked the Hopper and whatever fed the Joeys.