Stutter on Channels (Genie--HR44/500)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by danielmak, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Oct 1, 2019 #1 of 10
    danielmak

danielmak New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    I have a genie that I set to 720p for a variety of complicated reasons. I am finding that some channels have a stutter on the image. This problem has existed for a while on Comcast Chicago during baseball games (I don't remember seeing it during hockey games and it seemed to happen more often with Cubs games than White Sox games which is bizarre). The problem occurs when I download on demand soccer games from Univision Deportes but never when I watch live or DVR games from Univision Deportes. And now I am seeing the same problem on TBS East while watching the MLB Wild Card game but not on TBS West. The problem never happens during TV dramas/comedies/movies and only during sports.

I really don't know how to describe the problem other than as a stutter. The closest thing I have seen is when someone converted a PAL DVD to NTSC or vice versa and the image isn't smooth: every 15-20 seconds there is a stutter.

I have tried changing the box to 1080 but there was no change.

Does anyone have any advice about ways to solve this problem? It's bizarre because of the lack of repetition across channels or even within a specific channel.

2. Oct 2, 2019 #2 of 10
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Check the Motion Blur control setting on your TV.

compnurd likes this.
  3. Oct 2, 2019 #3 of 10
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    Several channels have been stuttering as of late. Yes it's been going on on NBC Sportsnet Chicago (Comcast Sportsnet Chicago - it comes and goes) for quite a while. I noticed it last night on TBS East also. Quickest solution is to pause your dvr for a second or two and then hit play...stuttering gone! This also works at my mother's house. Don't know why or how this fixes the issue but it does seem to work for me all of the time. I don't think it has anything to do with the motion settings on your tv

4. Oct 2, 2019 #4 of 10
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Sounds just like the frame rate bug some see with 4k channels. The fix for that is to tune to 206 (ESPN) before you tune to the channel you want to watch. Although there is only a small chance this will work for you, it's worth a shot.

You say for a variety of complicated reasons you've set your DVR to output 720 only. Perhaps one of those reasons is for the stutter? I believe there was a recent firmware update for some DVR's to fix the 4k bug - perhaps it broke something in your setup while fixing the 4k bug for the rest of us?

5. Oct 2, 2019 #5 of 10
    danielmak

danielmak New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Thanks for the quick replies and the tips.

I don't have a 4K TV and assume my Genie isn't 4K equipped since it was sent to me before 4K existed, although perhaps the various updates have this model working for 4K. Either way (again), not having 4K has meant that 4K shouldn't be the reason but perhaps that is the culprit. My 720 setting basically has to do with a recording input for media I need for work and 1080 produces both giant files and TS files that tend to have problems with playback.

I have a second DVR in the living room (HD DVR) so I will have to do an A<->B test this weekend when I have more time but I rarely use that receiver other than as a DVR because it has other problems, most notably bizarre frozen images and breaking up of images during commercials on MLB Network that then leads to missing programming when the commercials should have ended. I can report back after I do that test.

6. Oct 3, 2019 #6 of 10
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I know you don't have 4k, I only said your issue sounds similar to the 4k bug. Did you try my suggestion?

7. Oct 3, 2019 #7 of 10
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    HR54/C61K Discussion
    The issue is being discussed here and on other forums.
    Has nothing to do with your TV settings or 4K.

8. Oct 3, 2019 #8 of 10
    danielmak

danielmak New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    I will test that tip next time the problem happens. I haven't watched baseball on either channel since I posted since (A) Cubs and White Sox are done for the year and (B) ESPN had the AL wild card games. But TBS has games tonight so I will see what happens. This weekend I'll see if that trick works for on demand Univision soccer matches.

9. paule123

paule123 Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    I noticed the same stuttering problem watching MLBEI Cubs games (the Comcast Chicago broadcast) or the SF Giants (NBC Comcast Bay Area broadcast). Doesn't happen on every game, or on other non-sports channels. I had assumed it was a NBC/Comcast issue. I'm watching via an HR54 set to 1080i. Can't remember if the input on my TV was set to the HR54 or the C61K when the stuttering occurred.

10. danielmak

danielmak New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    I left the channel on 665 Comcast Chicago while I was between other sports viewing. The channel is currently airing Air Force - Notre Dame hockey and the stuttering problem is pretty bad. I tried the switch to ESPN trick and that didn't help.

I have not called DTV about this problem because it's one of those things that they will put back on me. They did this in the past about problems with broadcasts on NTEL a Colombian channel that only had problems during live soccer matches. Of course they put in a ticket, the techs checked the channel, and reported nothing was wrong on their end. I was very explicit that the problem only occurred during live soccer matches, never any other programming and yet they never tested during live soccer matches. Finally I remembered a contact I had when DTV used to have rights to UEFA Europa League games. I emailed him directly, he put me in touch with someone else, the guy contacted the Colombian network engineer, and the problem was fixed. It took 3 days to fix a problem that DTV ignored for 8 months. And this was before ATT bought DTV, so I doubt the email address I have for that engineer still works even if he still works there.