1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuttering playback from hard disk

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Delta Richard, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Delta Richard

Delta Richard New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Suddenly today, on my DVR921, recordings that I have made, both recently and a couple of months ago, stutter regularly during playback. Pauses can be as long as 2-3 seconds. Another post mentioned defragmentation, is it possible for a 6 month old disk to become so defragmented as to cause this problem? Has someone already had this problem, and found a solutions?

If you have a suggestion for a cure, please let me know. a3b12498@telus.net.

Thanks

Richard

2. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Have you tried a reboot (power plug might be best)?

Have you tried the hard disk diagnostic.

3. Delta Richard

Delta Richard New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    I have tried unplug, and replug a few times, and am running the disk diagnostic.

I am beginning to suspect that the problem is caused by one of the latest updates, I am L215HEED, as recordings made in the last 2 days are find, but recordings 2-3 weeks old, or older stutter. When they updated the software, it must have affected the sync of playback somehow.

Hopefully someone else will verify this.

4. langlin

langlin Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    I have old recordings that do NOT stutter.

5. KKlare

KKlare Godfather

Sep 24, 2004
    I've had recent recordings that lose picture or sound for 1 to 30 seconds. I can some times fix this for a few seconds or the whole recording by backing up once. This has happened a lot and did not happen before L215. The old loss of sound followed by dropped frames is still there. Backing up does not help.

Yesterday I had a weird one. An hour recording showed only a gray picture with the sound. A second subsequent recording looked OK. Went back to the first and it played fine. They were 2 1-hr segments of the same program -- the 1 long Saint instead of 2 Avengers on BBC. There is some new audio and video disconnect.
    -Ken

6. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    I had a show that did that with L211, i started the show and it played the audio with no picture, i could pause and fast forward and everything, just no picture. Then i stoppped it watched it later and it was fine.
    So this is not new to 215....
    Jon

7. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    My experience with frequent stuttering during playback of recorded events or when using "trick play" was that it was the first symptom of hard drive failure. As the drive got worse, the duration of stutter/freeze increased, until the unit became essentially unusable and had to be replaced. Of course, there are likely other causes for this issue as well; just noting what I personally experienced.