Sub contractors. Why do they do this for a living?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by FastNOC, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I've experienced this before but not this bad.

I just moved into a new place, ordered a new account and they came to install today.

First, this building is pre-wired. there are dual connectors and phone jacks on every wall. The owner of the complex instructed me that this was set up for Dish Network and that is the preferred provider.

These guys come out here and 1. tell me the dish on the building won't work. 2. it's wired for directv. This is incorrect, but whatever. I had HD and the dish on the roof only has a dual LNB or whatever it's called. Mine will have 3. Ok fine.

next, get this.... They say "So we'd have to have the owner's permission to mount the dish somewhere else." To which I reply "They are fine with that, they will give permission and I'll go to the office and get it now".

"Well also, this building is stucco. We don't install dishes on stucco buildings."

I have a south facing deck. When I moved in there was a dish network dish on the patio from the last tenants. This guy tells me that the deck won't work because I need to be able to access satellites at 3 poisitons, and there are trees in the way.

These are yearling trees that are so small I could pull them over and bend them in half........

I've never seen someone try so hard NOT to do their job before.

So I told the guy to just install it, see what we have, then we'll decide. I can almost guarantee he'll turn the dish so it gets ****ty reception or none.

I figured, if these idiots will just do the install I'll contact dish when they leave and get someone else out here that knows what he's doing.

Just a tidbit. I ordered and specified a 722 Vip. I called two days before install and verified this. I called again last night to verify it..... They come out with a 625. I made him drive back to his shop and get the right box.

Based on this I'm really unhappy. But I'll admit, this point is not a problem with Dish. it's these jerkoff techs. I'm definitely going to get names and complain.

2. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Follow up. All three satellites hit just fine....

3. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Nice to hear a happy ending.

4. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    They had a better paying job after yours. :p

5. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    Glad it worked out. These installers fall all over themselves to get out of doing these installs sometimes. I suspect their reimbursement from E* is less than motivational.

6. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Actually I spoke to one before they left. It was his partner that was doing all the crying.

He told me that this is his bread and butter. They make a trip all the way to someone's place and they can't do the install they don't get paid. But the other guy is always trying to find a way to get out of it. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to work like that.

whatever the case I'm pretty happy now :). It's so nice to have Dish back. One thing suprised me though. I thought I'd be able to get 720p but the box only shows me 720i available. I think i'd rather use 420p than 720i. The ghosting etc is just bad isn't it? I haven't seen enough to decide yet.

7. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    If you have a 722, you should be capable of 1080i.

8. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    That's what I thought too. But someone else responded in a different thread that Dish doesn't put out 1080i or p.

The HDTV setup shows only 480 and 720i. no 720p or 1080.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. That's usually the case :)

9. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    In the absense of govt regulation, the service industry cherry picks customers to maximize income.

Duh.

There is absolutely no sentiment to mandate universal communications infrastructure beyond POTS.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Broadcast formats are 480i/480P/720P and 1080i. P is progressive scan and i is interlaced scan.

11. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    How do you have the 722 hooked into your TV set? I know I read somewhere about Dish making only lower resolutions available if HDCP wasn't available. So if you have it hooked up via component you may want to try hooking it up via HDMI (or DVI with an HDMI to DVI cable) and see what's available with that method.

12. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    There is no such animal as 720i on the 622/722, at least as far as I've seen.

I don't believe 720i is even in the ATSC standard, is it?

Output TV1 is either 480p, 720p or 1080i.

Are you using HDMI or component connections?

Other options for output TV1 are S-video (480i only) and RF (480i only).

Output TV2 is either composite (480i) or RF (480i).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.