1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I've now got 6 tuners running off my SWM8 ( HR21-700 and R22-200 working off SWM1, HR20-700 working off SWM2 with the second output terminated). I also have 2 tuners from an R15-500 running off Legacy 1 and 2. The WB68 is running in parallel using the Skywalker 5 - 2300 mHz splitters recommended by others. The WB68 has two tuners from my second R15-500 (one of which was unable to be used before due to lack of ports).

So, 10 total tuners in use now, with 6 HD-compatible ports free off the WB68 and 1 legacy port free on the SWM8. Woohoo! :D

Signal strengths are great across the board, one to three points higher than previously on the WB68 for the HR21-700 and R22-200 downstairs, and upstairs on the HR20, which is running partially through pre-installed RG59, signals are only about 2 points lower than the units downstairs (peaks of 97 or so on 101, upper 80's - mid 90's on 103 and 99).

Thanks Doug and everyone at DBSTalk, and thanks especially to Direcv for giving me the opportunity to test. Pics to follow later, but first I need a shower. I gotta get to my son's soccer game!

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Glad the Skywalker splitters worked out as they did here.

Congrats...and by all means....take the shower first, before you share your photos. :D

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Glad you are all up and running!

4. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Here's a pic. It's not pretty in my crawlspace, but it's all working. :)

[​IMG]

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Looks pretty good to me. Lots of room for expansion! :D

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Nice job.

7. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Thanks for your comments, guys. It was fun. One interesting observation I made while down in the dusty catacomb below my house is that you can sure tell the last installers under there were from before copper got so expensive. I have what looks like miles (dozens of feet at least) of cables running every which way, just big coils of excess. While it's not ideal for signal strengths I'm sure, I really can't complain since my strengths are already in the mid 90's - 100 for 101, and high 80's - mid 90's for 99 and 103.

8. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Woohoo! Congrats. Next thing you know, you might be a rocket surgeon. :)

Seriously, congrats.

Cheers,
    Tom

9. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Not to hijack your thread, but I wanted to report complete success here too ...

Mounted the SWM-8 in parallel with the WB68 this morning ...

Used the 4 single-port power passing splitters that I had previously to split the signal from the dish to the SWM/WB68, and some JVI splitters I had "hanging around" to split the SWM outputs ...

Things went great! I have a few more cables to plug in, but other than that, I'm all set.

One question though - I moved the terminator from the SWM2 port to the unused port on the splitter connected to it (see diagram). Is it needed? I realize I could do without the splitter, but I figured for uniformity's sake, let's put it in now ...

One thing you'll notice is that all of the cables have little white labels on them. I had access to a cable labeler at my previous job and printed a whole pile of labels way-back-when but never put them on ... this was my opportunity... each feed, each room, everything's labeled now. Awesome.

In case you're wondering - everything is mounted to a small (~20" wide) piece of plywood attached to the 2x10 floor joist above my head in the basement. Didn't have much room to work, and that's why the plywood board is so small. It had to fit between the BX cable on the left and the water supply on the right. :)

Attached Files:

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Nice work!

Yes...you should put the terminator on....as signal loss off the vacant port may or may not be an issue...rather be safe. I did the same thing.

11. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    The one thing that frustrated me is that the WB68 and SWM-8's inputs are reversed...

In other words, from left to right on the WB68 is 13v, 18v, 13v-tone, 18v-tone.
    From left to right on the SWM-8 is 18V-tone, 13V-tone, 18V, 13V

If they were lined up in the same order, the cabling from the splitters to the WB68/SWM8 would be a lot neater :)

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I had to contend with that before when I had the SWM5 and WB68 in place....now with 2 SWM's together, I no longer have that issue.

But honestly.....your install setup is very neat and well done.

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Looks great dmurphy! Nice job.

14. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Nice job dmurphy! :) No worries about a thread hijack - I'm glad for anyone to share success stories about involving reconfiguring their systems to accommodate the SWM8.

I noticed that about the SWM8 and WB68 inputs. That's part of the reason I laid out my backer board the way I did, and part of the reason I used such a big board (about twice as big as I needed to). I wanted to make sure I'd have plenty of room to run cable any way I needed to, as well as flexibility for reconfiguring someday if necessary (though with room for 8 more HD tuners and another legacy tuner, that won't be soon). :)

15. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I wish I had the room you do, but I wanted a joist-mounted solution - wall space is precious for us (I have about 8 or so shelving units down there... and if I replace the oil boiler with a natural gas one, I can add 3 more where the oil tank is!)

I need a bigger house ... or less junk ...