1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden 771A "Can't Communicate With Dish" Alert

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pappasbike, Dec 4, 2012.

1. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Last night was watching DTV without issue. This morning both receivers ( HR21s ) were on, they were turned off/standby last night, and that message was displaying on both. I've rebooted everything, checked all cabling, unplugged everything and then plugged everything back in. When the receivers restart they get through the self test and when the getting satellite bar comes up the error message returns.

I'm waiting for DTV's phone service people to be available but in the meantime I thought I would ask what would be the most likely problem. We've had no weather event over the last nine hours that would explain any cable issues. I do have the whole home service with the deca adapters, and swm. Any ideas?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    First thing to check is the Power Inserter. It is about 2" square and 4" long and usualy black or gray. Most times it is plugged in close to one of the receivers. See if it is on and the light on it is green.

3. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks. I've had a problem with that device in the past but unplugging it and plugging it back in always fixed it. This time that didn't work, but on the phone with DTV the rep asked me to also disconnect the cables to the inserter which I had not done. That apparently worked, I had thought not to bother with removing the cables since I had done everything else, I'm glad I did what the guy asked. A service call is still set up since there must be a problem with that device.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    More likely a problem with the cable/connector...

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Very possible.

Connectors/cables are among the first things to check.

6. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had that message about 6 months ago. It turned out I had a defective SWM and had to be replaced .