Sudden freezing (audio/video)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Sep 27, 2018.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I have been watching recorded and some live TV the past few days and had the programming freeze (audio and video). I had to trickplay forward slightly (in the recorded programming) approx. a minute or so forward to get things to work again. Rewinding causes the 'freeze' to show up in the same location again. I watched one show that had this freeze 3 times in the 60 minute program. For the live programming, I had to change channels and go back. No pattern with this issue. Anyone else seeing this issue? I also rebooted both units and still had some freezing later. I've had the freezing while watching both the HR54 and C61k.

Software is 0x1104 (8/9 download, but the issue seems to have popped up the past few days).
    The HR54 and C61k were installed this past spring.

2. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Yup.

3. jpenneck

jpenneck Mentor

Oct 19, 2007
    I've been getting this for a while, intermittently with the "black flash" (see other thread). I'm not sure if the two things are related, but I have seen a rapid black flash combined with freezing picture a few times...

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What were you watching when that happened? Sports? If you can replicate the freeze by clicking back it's probably not the 54 or the 61 that are at fault.

Rich

5. johnee249

johnee249 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Ozark, MO
    My HS17 is doing the same thing and then some. Running 0x110e since 9/26 but it's been doing this before. Does it on recordings and live. All clients (C61W-700).
    Happens with movies and news shows.
    Playback fine if I repeat same scene. But live the program gets stuck. I toggle Pause/Play and still stuck.
    I have to back up or toggle channels to get it playing again. This started a few days ago so I suspect this latest release.
    But the momentary freeze problem as I said earlier has done it for awhile it just gotten more noticeable in the past month or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    It was happening with all sorts of programming.. sports and non-sports. I haven't had this issue in a while.. hopefully fixed.

7. jpenneck

jpenneck Mentor

Oct 19, 2007
    I am still experiencing this picture freezing issue on my HS-17 / C61K and I have the latest 0x114B firmware. How many others are still getting this issue ?

8. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I had a technician come to my house and change out equipment. I had that very issue and dish 775 no communication error. I am still having this problem after two visits from technicians. I have to unplug the SWiM more than I want too. I have no clue what the problem is.

9. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    He's right! This has been going on the past few days.

10. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    My Genie has been freezing, but it actually becomes unresponsive. Started Saturday. Before that, it sometimes would freeze while FF, but that went away with another arrow push or play button. This new issue is causing me to miss recordings while it is in stupor state. Tech coming tomorrow.

11. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Not gonna do you any good. Software issue. Wast of time for you and a tech.

12. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    Well that's great news. So I shouldn't let the tech replace the box, and just wait it out for a patch? It's unusable as a DVR since it's frozen while I'm away. Rebooted this morning and it ran for 30 mins before freezing.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would replace the box and anything else the tech finds.

14. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    You were right. The tech aimed the dish better (probably off due to wet ground as compared to dry ground in summer) but I talked him out of swapping the box. The HR44 froze up 15 minutes after he left. Can you explain the software issue? Should I wait for a fix, or trade this box out (I have lots of recorded programs I'd rather not lose if I don't have to)

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you had any indications of a bad HDD? Like a 14 error of some sort? Sure sounds like an HDD problem the more I think about it. How full is that HDD?

Rich

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them and complain right away to have it in your record that the tech visit did not work for you.

17. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    I ran both the short and long HDD tests in the startup diagnostics and passed both. Just weird that I went from no problems to locking up multiple times a day. The HDD is almost always full, but only about half of the material is protected.
    Can Genies run the full diagnostics that the older HRs could? I'd like to see the temperature/fan test. I keep a small fan blowing on the unit because when I don't, I get overheating messages. I did NOT get any overheating messages prior to these latest lockups.
    Also, lately I've been leaving the unit unplugged while I'm away from the house. This allows it to cool to room temperature, and seems to let it run longer before locking up again after I plug it back in.
    My very amateur diagnosis is that the new firmware (be it the new GUI, the screen saver, whatever) is casuing the CPU to overheat before a warning can be shown. Could also be network traffic issues (I also have 4 HR-2x DVRs in the system. Yes, I'm a pack rat, but the old boxes are more stable than the Genie, it seems)

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The tests don't tell us how badly the HDDs have degraded. My HR44-700 was having problems similar to yours but not as bad. I only let my 44 get over 75% full once and what I saw was the same thing I have seen many times on 24s. The DVRs just don't run as well as they should when the HDDs are close to full. What I saw was just like the way a 24 would act with a close to full HDD. What did I do? I blamed the software. I blamed the constant updates. And I was so wrong. I don't think there's anything wrong with the software. I think I have fixed my problems with the 44 and a couple 24s.

What you can do that might help for awhile is dump a lot of the content on that HDD, get it down to about half full and see if it works any better. Or you might want to read this: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?

This might seem a bit off the wall, but I have no problems at all on the 44 and two 24s. No video issues, no audio issues...none. And the 44 is easily as stable as the 24s. Yes it cost me a few bucks and it was worth every penny. I'm not alone, there are others using SSDs here in/on their HRs. I have not heard one negative comment from anyone using an SSD. I filled a 24-200 with a 500GB SSD on it to full capacity and let it run like that for around a week. Nothing happened. Try that with a 24 with an HDD. Oh, I forgot, the HRs are a lot quicker with an SSD.

Rich

19. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    Rich, last night after plugging the Genie back in (I want to type "the bottle" right there), I cleared a bunch of unprotected programs from the drive and got it over 25% free space. I also reset to defaults. I also cleared out old series from the series manager. I also got the HR2x in another room back in service... it had gone dormant and off the whole home network.
    So... I'm a poor scientist because I introduced all these variables at once, but I'm glad to report that the Genie was still running this morning! It can't see 3 of the other 4 HRs on the network, but at least one can see Genie content. Anyway, knocking on wood that this trend continues, and I'll try to keep some free space on the Genie.

I have used external drives before (not currently) but not a Solid State drive. I will consider that down the road. Thanks for the suggestions!

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I would have done the same thing. I'm never quite sure which "fix" works. Had an electrical troubleshooting job for about 10 years and drove my boss nuts because I usually didn't know which fix worked. The most important thing you did was free up space on the HDD. I think. Now, if you could get that down to 50% you'd be much better off.

To get the HRs on your MRV system back to seeing all the HRs on it you have to reset all the HRs sequentially. That means resetting one HR and waiting until it is thru rebooting and then resetting the next one and so forth. If you reset all of them at the same time they might not see each other. Yes, doing it that way is a PITA but I had 12 HRs on MRV and I did the resets damn near weekly. Just to keep MRV working correctly.

I don't remember how big the HDD is in your Genie. If you have a 2TB drive in or on the Genie and keep it half full that seems to mean you're willing to give up 1TB in capacity. I understand why folks don't want to do that. After playing with HDDs in/on HRs for many years it became pretty clear that keeping an HDD no more than half full is an easy way to keep things running smoothly. But all the capacity you lose...that always bothered me. When I filled up the HR24-200's 500GB SSD I didn't know what to expect. Kept it running full for a week and saw no difference in performance and no uptick in other issues. I would expect to see a 24 have a lot of problems with a full HDD and I base that on experience. I saw no issues on the 24 with the SSD. Yeah, it was only a week. Does that mean we can use an HR with an almost full SSD and expect no problems caused by the capacity? I'm not sure but I think that might be what it means. Think about that, that would mean a 1TB SSD = a 2TB HDD.

I put the SSDs on the HRs intending to see what happens with them running "normally", which to me, means with a drive that's not close to full. We must be coming up on six months since I installed the first SSD and I still have not one negative comment to make about them. Not one.

Rich