1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden issues with my HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Monte406SS, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue lately or if it is possible my hard drive is starting to go (even though this box is only 13 months old).

Yesterday morning I turned the TV and HR21 on and noticed the remote was not really working too well, a long delay between pushing a button and an action by the HR21. So I did a manual reset and all was fixed.

Woke up this morning and noticed live TV to have a slight lag. For example, when tuning into ESPN News, the text along the bottom that scrolls right to left would hiccup every 5 seconds or so. My first thought was maybe a signal issue. I tried to go back 30 seconds or so to watch the replay of what just happened and the same thing. I then tried playing something I recorded 3 months ago and it has the same lag. Is the HD going after only 13 months? If so, anything I can do to save what I currently have on there? I would back it up to a DVD, but it is just going to record the lag. I have tried about 5 resets this morning, same thing after each time. My other 2 boxes (H20 and HR15) in the house work fine.

Also noticed (maybe this is normal) that during the reset when it is on Step 1 of 2 searching for sat. settings, it sounds like the unit powers down for a second, then you can hear it power back up. The lights do not fade, but it sounds like a hard drive in a computer when you shut it down, but then it fires right back up. This happens probably 10 times during the Step 1 process.

As much as I love this technology at times, other times (like this morning) I just want to throw the box out the window.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kinda does sound like the HR itself might be the problem. What you're experiencing on rebooting should not happen. It is interesting to see a "new" problem pop up. With all the problems I've had with the HRs, I've never experienced that particular one. And I've never seen a post such as yours that related anything such as you are experiencing.

Don't forget to tell us the outcome of this. Been getting kind of bored and here is something new!

Rich

3. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Thanks, will do.

I was going to try the software download I saw some other guys do, can't hurt.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That does seem to help, reformatting the hard drive seems like an exercise in futility. The way it boots up would really seem to be a problem with the HR itself tho. But, force the download, if it boots up and does the same thing, I'd give up and get a replacement.

Rich

5. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Just did another reset, nothing. Tried to watch something I taped in November and before it came on the entire box froze. Not good.

Not sure if Directv will just replace the box or not, sure I have to pay for a tech to come out to make that decision. I was thinking of just getting an external ESATA drive and plugging it in. Though I would like to keep what was on my hard drive, it won't be the end of the world if I cannot retrieve it. Just want to be able to watch TV again and record without issues.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    +1

As all of the program code for the DVR is stored in flash memory, the hard drive should have little effect on the booting process.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't waste your money. I doubt very much if the internal hard drive is the problem. Harsh is right on the money.

You could buy an eSATA from Best Buy and try it. You can always return it easily. Hey, you never know.

D* will replace the defective HR, but if you don't belong to the Protection Plan, you're in for a visit to D*Hell.

Rich

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If your HR is running a software version that does a "receiver self check" during bootup, hit the select button on the remote when you see that message, and run a diagnostic on the hard drive from the menu that should pop up.

9. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Well, just hit the select after a manual reset and it went into diagnostic mode. Came right up and indicated there was an error found on the hard drive. It stated it will scan the drive to attempt to fix the errors and this may take hours. On 0% right now.

I will let you know what happens when it is done.

And Rich, I am not on the PP, not good. I have been with DTV since 1999 and really have only had an issue maybe once with a box crapping out. What bothers me the most now is this box is just over 1 year old, doesn't anyone make anything that lasts anymore?

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Call D* and explain the box will not boot up and that you are fine with swapping the unit yourself, they should send you one W/O a service call and bill you for shipping, $20.00, I believe.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Hard drives are mechanical devices, and a DVR hammers then non-stop. Gonna have a few here and there that dont hold up. As for being on the PP, shouldnt be a problem. DVRs are leased, and will be replaced with another. PP covers the DISH, wiring, multiswitches, and customer owned receiver replacement (The last Ive been told, but dont know for sure).

You should have no problem getting a leased receiver replaced with another leased receiver. You might have to pay shipping ($20) depending on the CSR.

Hopefully the repair will fix your problem, and if it does, I would copy off your important shows to DVD before it craps out further down the road.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I went thru diagnostic thing and let it run for 24 hours and it did zip. Did it again and after a few hours gave up and reformatted the drive. I wish you luck with that, a few posts that I have read said that it worked for them. Most of the posts said that they had the same experience as I had. And I didn't trust that eSATA anymore even tho it seemed OK after the reformat. Figured the same thing would happen again and dumped it.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The PP also covers "leased" HRs. Always has. Well worth the few bucks a month. And I know a few cheery souls will pop up now filled with outrage at the thought of paying D* more money. Penny wise and pound foolish not to have it. Just an opinion.

Rich

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    But the leased receivers are replaced at no charge with or without the PP. The PP only covers the shipping charges in the event a receiver is replaced, which in many cases can be waived with a simple call to customer service explaining that it was "their" equipment that was replaced.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, but I get the replacements within two days, sometimes the next day. No two weeks or a month waiting for it to be "shipped". That in itself is worth the price of the PP.

Rich

16. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Well, after both the software update and diagnostic run to fix the error on the hard drive I am back and good as new (well maybe not new). Not sure if I am running on borrowed time or not, so I will be burning my taped shows to DVD now in case it bombs again.

Thanks to everyone's help, you guys are great. Without this site I would not have known how to update software or run the diagnostic on the box. Thanks again.

17. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Spoke too soon. Live TV is working fine, but try to watch something that was previously recorded worked twice. Now, when I click on something to watch that I previously recorded, it goes right to the end and asks "Would you like to delete this?"
    Even if I record 30 seconds of live TV and try to watch it over, it asks if I want to delete it. So close, yet so far. :(

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Have you tried a menu restart (not the red button)? If you did, and that didnt fix it, try another one, and when it turns off to reboot, unplug it for 10 minutes, then plug it back in.
    Im afraid if that doesnt fix it, your best bet it to call DirecTv and swap receivers, and ask if they will credit the shipping charge for the lost time and shows. If you ask nicely, they usually will do that. They ship FedEx, usually takes two business days.

19. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Yup, just tried a menu (not red button) restart after reading about others with the instant keep or delete issue. It hung at Step 1 for about 25 mins. :mad:

Hit the red button and went to the diagnostic again. Took a few minutes, but I finally got into the menu (it did not auto detect a HD error like it did last time). So now I am doing the advanced HD checks (short and long) to see what is up. Hopefully after spending basically the entire day at this I will have something to show for it by the end of the day :D

If nothing here works, I will go your route with the unplug for 10 mins and see what happens. Fun way to spend a Sunday :D

20. Monte406SS

Monte406SS Cool Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Just ran every test possible through the diagnostic (except long hard drive, that just started) and everything, including all the internal tests passed. :whatdidid

Will see what the long test HD outcome is and go from there.