1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion for DVR Recording Software from a Sports Subscriber

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by peridoc, Oct 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Oct 6, 2008 #1 of 11
    peridoc

peridoc Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    As DirecTV is the leader in sports entertainment and I subscribe to some of the sports packages they offer, I have a suggestion that would make the DVRs a whole lot better (I think). I am not sure if this has been suggested recently...I know I have mentioned a very long time ago though, so sorry if this is a post that was made recently.

As a sports viewer, nothing really makes me more mad than when I come home to my DVR recording my favorite sports team and the DVR turns on from the off state in real time to the channel that I am recording - of course the current score is on the screen and I can never seem to change the channel fast enough before seeing it or hearing the announcers say the score. This total ruins the essence of watching the game with anticipation of what is about to happen next. I understand there is a problem when recording two programs at once to solve this 100%, but most of the time I am only recording one event which means that the other tuner is free to be on any other channel. It would be GREAT if when the DVR is turned on and recording a program (not just sports, but any program) that the DVR would NOT display that channel/tuner by default. Display any other channel on the other tuner. If there are two programs being recorded and one is sports and the other is not then it would be nice to have the non-sports program shown for the same reasons listed above.

I realize that this can be possibly be solved if I don't leave the tuner on the channel I want to record, but for some reason that does not seem to work in my world. I just forget far too many times. It would be nice to have a DVR that tries to mask what is currently being recorded until I ask to watch it if the DVR is being turned on from the off state.

Maybe I am the only one with this problem...:scratch:

2. Oct 6, 2008 #2 of 11
    Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    Turn on the DVR, type <1><0><1><ENTER> then turn on the television.

If only one tuner was recording, it will be the background tuner and you will be watching Channel 101. If two recordings were taking place, you will see an OSD asking if you want to abort one of the recordings.

Life is simple, humans are complicated :)

3. Oct 6, 2008 #3 of 11
    peridoc

peridoc Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    I agree that there are alternatives with extra steps that I can do to prevent this from happening, but my point was I would like this to happen without taking extra steps. For example, I have a Harmony remote that has a simple "On" button to power on all my devices at once. Extra steps are somewhat cumbersome when the DVR could help this situation out automatically. Plus...as I mentioned, I forget to take extra steps when coming home and turning on the system.

Your point is a good one, though it would be nice (DirecTV) to have the only DVR on the market to do this for the end user automatically.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #4 of 11
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I too use a Harmony. As soon as I press the activity, I hit mute and list. It's just become a habit. I can easily avoid looking at the PIG. I do this, because even with your proposed workaround, I'm often recording two shows and my problem still wouldn't be solved.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #5 of 11
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I agree... They could set it up so that if it should nevre display a recording tuner feed on power up...

6. Oct 7, 2008 #6 of 11
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is really not a cutting edge discussion... I'm sure our other members would enjoy it as well.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #7 of 11
    Manunited

Manunited New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    For Harmony users you can pre-program the unit to open the list as well as mute or just about any other function. Whats worse though is taping simultaneous 2 games and getting the score on the other from the scroll. Nothing you can do about that one.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #8 of 11
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    This is why I'm hoping the new TiVo doesn't have picture-in-guide on the Now Playing list (or, at least, has a setting available to turn it off).

9. Oct 7, 2008 #9 of 11
    Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Why not just have "my playlist" automatically open up when the HRxx is turned on, with no PIG for this instance only (power up only). If you hit "exit", it can return to normal TV viewing..... Shouldn't be too complicated

10. peridoc

peridoc Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    That would be an ok solution except that there is audio playing from the tuner when you are on the "My Playlist" page...you would have to take care of that somehow for a complete solution. That is a good alternative solution that would require less new programming though.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Most likely it will for a few reasons:

1) The PIG is industry standard. Pretty much every receiver and DVR *except* Tivo has the PIG. In fact it was a highly requested feature on the Tivo's many years ago.
    2) The Comcast Tivo has a PIG
    3) The leaked screenshots of the new Tivo UI in development has...you guessed it...a PIG (along with a lot of ads).

So I'd bet that the new DirecTivo has a PIG. :D

I think we'd all like an option to turn it off though. :)