1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestions for getting RF remote to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HiDefGator, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1 of 25
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    I have it working on two other HR20's. But I got a new one last week that just won't do it. Once I step through the procedure, remote doesn't work anymore until I switch it back to IR.

The on screen display says to attach the RF antenna, but I don't think I've done that with either of the other boxes. And it didn't come with any RF antenna to attach. I was like 4 feet from it and getting no response at all.

The new box is a HR20-100.

2. Dec 9, 2009 #2 of 25
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Does this remote have an RF sticker on the back like your others do?

3. Dec 9, 2009 #3 of 25
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    What are your other HR20 manufacturer's? Are they HR20-700's? I believe I read somewhere that one version of the HR20 requires an external RF antennae. All the other HR2x receivers have internal RF antennae.

- Merg

4. Dec 9, 2009 #4 of 25
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The Hr20-100 needs an antenna atttached, where the HR20-700 doesn't.

5. Dec 9, 2009 #5 of 25
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    well that explains it. thanks for the info.

6. Dec 9, 2009 #6 of 25
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    You would think it would be as simple as calling them and having them mail me an antenna for it. But no. They apparently have no idea how to order an antenna any more. Nor do they want to pay for a service call to bring me one. So instead they are going to FedEx me an entire new box. Whatever.

7. Dec 9, 2009 #7 of 25
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Double and triple check the box, did you buy this one new or is this a refurb sent from D*?

8. Dec 9, 2009 #8 of 25
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can make an antenna pretty easily. Just take a 6-8 inch piece of coax and put a fitting at one end. Then strip about 1 inch of the insulation from the other end. Voila, perfectly functional RF antenna.

I was missing mine and used my homemade one for a couple of weeks and it performed at least as well as the antenna that comes with the box.

9. Dec 9, 2009 #9 of 25
    drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Edmund is correct as he always is in these matters.
    The RF antenna is only available with a lighted remote not a la carte. It should be included with any HR20-100 but as all others have internal antennas the 100s get lost in the shuffle. The NFL remote ($20 bucks online@ D) being lighted has the antenna included. A couple possibe solutions: 1. Radio Shack has these antennas. 2. In a pinch I have used a coax patch cord. Cut off about 6-8" of one end and strip all the insulation off the wire. bend it 90 degrees at the fitting and you are good to go.(Don't laugh till youv'e tried it.):lol: Anyway I hopes this helps.

10. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    hilmar2k, You type faster than my two fingers:lol::D

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    A whole faster, apparently. My post was 15 minutes before yours. Were you typing with your nose? :D

12. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    That would have been faster.:lol: I was looking for a link to Radio Shack but gave up. That took at least 3 min.;)

13. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Oh I certainly could have made my own antenna. But since they sent a refurb in a box with no cables, no antenna, etc. as far as I was concerned it was their problem not mine. I just wonder how many other HR20-100's they are sending out with no antenna.

The first tech support guy i talked to tried to tell me it was my problem and I would have to use IR or buy an antenna adapter (?). I quickly informed him that this was his problem, not mine and RF capability was a listed feature of the box. Not a feature I had to pay extra to get it to work.

14. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    You are absolutly correct. It is their problem. But that doesn't solve the problem. I can say with almost 100% certainty that no refurb comes with an antenna. It seems because it is a replacement box D thinks that you would already have all the accesories you need. Go figure. In this case the system is broken. I was just trying to provide you with an alternative solution. Another solution could be to flag down a D install truck in your neighborhood and ask him for one. However if trading boxes and losing recordings is the easiest way for you -go with that. Unfortunatly D would rather send you a new box than an antenna.

15. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    It's a brand new box. There aren't any recordings on it yet. Maybe the next box won't need an external antenna.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  17. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    VOS, I had exactly the same situation as the OP and know his frustration firsthand. The CSR I talked to had great difficulty finding that remote in their system. I had to explain over and over about the backlit part also having the antenna included and that was the only way to get the antenna. She finally found it but it was a struggle. The kicker was after finding it she did not have the authority to send me one. I was transferred somewhere else and got an instant ok, but as you state it really shouldn't be that hard. One side note, during my conversations I was told that as long as a remote works in IR mode they won't replace it if RF doesn't work.:eek2: Ahh.. I love roulette.;)

18. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Apparently someone at Directv reads this forum. I just got a call that I willnot be getting a new box. Instead they are sending me a new remote and antenna as a "package". My account will be credited $30 so it is free.

I asked why they don't just have an installer drop off an antenna and he said the installers don't even have them anymore.

19. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    But in this case it isn't a replacement box. They are sending out reconditioned boxes as a new additional box to be installed.

20. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    WOW! Exellent. A call back and everything. Time to load up the DVR. Edit: Unfortunatly they don't distinguish between additional or replacement. I received an "additional" with nothing in the box but the DVR. Not even the power cord. Yikes!