1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for moving to Canada and keeping Dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rop, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 1, 2005 #1 of 31
    Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to move my Dish install to Canada and keep watching it? I'll keep a US credit card and set up a PO box as its mailing address. Dish already has auto-pay set up for that card. Do they need a physical address or is a PO box sufficient when informing them of the change-of-address? Does Canadian customs have any trouble with a couple of satellite dishes and a receiver? Can I just declare it ? (I know that actually subscribing violates some obscure Canadian law, which doesn't stop thousands there from doing just that, but how about importing equipment?) Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Rob-

2. Jun 1, 2005 #2 of 31
    RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    DISH will probably require a physical service address. You'll need to use either the address of a family member or friend in the US who will not be subscribing to DISH, or else one provided by a "reputable" address broker.

I don't even want to know how you're going get your equipment through customs. :sure:

Once you get there, if you ever plug in a phone line to a receiver, you risk cancellation of your subscription. This will make ordering PPV difficult to impossible, except possibly over the web.

You might want to get new dishes for your new home, too, emblazoned with "Bell ExpressVu" and/or "StarChoice" logos. A multi-feed setup might be nice, if you also want to watch Canadian satellite services.

Remember, too, that "It's just TV, for crying out loud!" probably won't fly as a defense (defence), if you're ever charged with violating that obscure law. :eek2:

3. Jun 1, 2005 #3 of 31
    Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    Thanks RJS!
    Rumour has it that importing dishes and a receiver is actually legal and one can declare them to customs. I'm trying to get confirmation on that though, before trying it.

As it happens my current 61.5 dish is an ExpressVu dish. It just happened to be cheaper (on EBay), and they are 2" larger than the regular Dish dishes, always good when one goes further north. The other dish is a Superdish 121 though.

PPV is not an issue, never use it. The receiver I have has never been hooked up to a phone line.

I'm just looking for information on making this as painless as possible. I'm sure others on this list are in the same boat.

-Rob-

4. Jun 1, 2005 #4 of 31
    Spruceman

Spruceman Legend

Nov 21, 2004
    Isn't it legal in Canada to receive US signals that are NOT ENCRYPTED? If so, then you could respond to any inquiries by customs or neighbors that you have a DiSH receiver for getting Sky Angel, NASA, and the few of the shopping channels that are in the clear.

But don't discount ExpressVu or StarChoice. They carry a fair number of services from the USA including CNN, HN, FNC, A&E, and multiple feeds of all the Canadian and US broadcast networks. Whereas, we in the US are restricted to broadcast nets only from our DMA (unless in a white area) and absolutely no Canadian broadcast or satellite networks. Canadians are allowed to get two feeds NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, & PBS in both SD and Hi-Def via ExpressVu. Canadians might cry censorship; but their "censorship" is paltry compared to ours.

5. Jun 1, 2005 #5 of 31
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Use a friends address as the physical, you can use a po box for the bill CC autopay will minimize this.

you LIL probably wouldnt be viewable in canada, so its better to pick a full conus city like ny or la for locals.

wonder if a superdish will work in canada? anyone try?

6. Jun 1, 2005 #6 of 31
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    105 definitely won't work currently the signal isn't strong enough for the border states never mind crossing the border. 121 might but it will be weaker than in the states.

7. Jun 1, 2005 #7 of 31
    Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    I know lots of Canadians watch Dish, so it seems the signal is no problem there (remember that 90% of their population is within an hour of the US border, and so will I). While I'm picking up the 121 satellite right now I'm not subscribed to any of its content, so that one won't matter. I need the 61.5 sat for HD (my main reason for wanting to stick with Dish), the 110 and 119 sats for general content. My 61.5 dish is already 20", ie. larger than a regular Dish Network dish (a dish 500 is 18" if I remember right). Superdish is also larger than the usual (ie. the effective size). Anyway, half of this is hobby, I like tinkering with the stuff.

-Rob-

8. Jun 1, 2005 #8 of 31
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    both will work no problem from there.... 121 even with a smaller Dish... (I heard even 24 incher can pull this one.. cuz signal is strong enough.. 30 incher - for sure...)

but 105.. with 40 inches (or a meter) .. or something like that - will work no problem as well...

Not sure about Northern provinces though.... but say, in Manitoba, etc .. - No Problem...
    People get there with the 1 meter ..something like from 50 to 70 (depending on the weather and on the TP #) ... so more or less same as in US in lots of states....

9. Jun 1, 2005 #9 of 31
    alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    Ya, the problem with pulling the stuff in will only be signal strength, as they have all the loong angles (was looking at a look angle calculator). Obviously, you will need some largers dishes for some of the FSS stuff, but all the BSS stuff (61.5/110/119/148) should be ok.

Just make sure your dish is as hidden as possible, to keep a low profile. While it is illegal in Canada to get encrypted programming which is not provided by a Canadian Provider, I don't really think many frown on getting the US Signals. Its funny, Canadians all want American Programming yet the Americans are looking for some of the Canadian stuff...

BTW: If you are going to be within one hour of the boarder, you can probably still pull in some OTA-HDTV (I came across a site devoted to those in Toronto trying to get OTA-HDTV from Buffalo).

10. Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    Yeah, I'm looking into OTA as well. I'll be south of Ottawa, and AntennaWeb indicates there's a digital PBS station not too far from there. Hopefully they also carry PBS-HD, one of my favorites in pretty programming! I'm pretty sure I can pull that one in, since I'll have to put up a 50' tower anyway for Internet service (for my business-from-home, all deductable ;) ). So, a few more antennas at the top will be an easy decision. Also a handful other non-digital locals within range. Looking good!

-Rob-

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are enough people getting Canadian signals in the US and saying it is better to consider just subscribing to the content via the most legal method. Canada has more stringent laws against receiving US DBS than the US does.

It *is* illegal to watch Canadian DBS in the States but the law is more obscure and there are no reports I have seen of it EVER being enforced. In Canada they enforce the law.

Don't do it or don't get caught. Your choice.

JL

12. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    if HDTV really interests you, Bell Expressvu has the big 4 + PBS from both Boston & Seattle along with WB from Chicago in HD, along with the Canadian networks. The only one missing is an HD UPN, but with Enterprise gone, not much left on UPN anyway.

13. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Incorrect. It is not illegal to watch Canadian DBS in the States. Bell and Starchoice are just not licensed to provide it here. The end consumer faces no criminal liability.
    There is an acutal law in Canada that prevents anyone from watching non-CRTC approved stations, but that kind of law in the States would violate the 1st amendment.

14. RJS1111111

Mar 23, 2002
    Lurker cites an FCC rule that lists the approved satellites for ground station licensees, and makes the assertion that every home satellite dish is subject to the same rule. He also makes the argument (more valid in my view) that to get a grey/gray market subscription, you have to lie about your residential address, which is a violation of the subscriber agreement. This is not so much illegal as it is immoral, at least in Lurker's view. My view is that going out of your way to pay the subscriber fees is a whole lot better than piracy/signal theft. But, in any case, it's only TV, so is it really worth getting prosecuted over?

15. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Nothing criminal to be prosecuted over. Using an incorrect address does not result in a loss to Bell or Starchoice, therefore they can't sue you for damages. At most, they can just cut your service (which Bell sometimes does, and Starchoice generally doesn't) when they find out you're really in the states.

16. RJS1111111

Mar 23, 2002
    When I said "prosecuted", I was thinking more along the lines of the original poster moving to Canada, where the law is "different".

17. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I would never categorically tell anyone that they can't get sued for something. That's because anyone with sufficient resources can sue anyone over anything.

In this case, I keep wondering if the NFL or HBO will ever get interested in US subscribers to Canadian DBS. (I hope not!) Somebody watching an out-of-market football game or HBO original programming on a Canadian network isn't as likely to pay for Sunday Ticket or an HBO subscription.

Second, I don't want to whack a hornet's nest, but one could argue that a US resident who somehow descrambles Canadian DBS without paying for it also "does not result in a loss to Bell or Starchoice". The idea that piracy does not necessarily cause a direct loss to the program provider -- that idea does not make piracy right, and it doesn't create immunity for paying customers either.

Finally, breaking a contract without permission is unlawful, which is different than illegal. You can be liable for damages because if you do something unlawful; you can get thrown in jail for illegal acts.

18. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Rop,

FYI, from experience, there is absolutely no problem importing US DBS receivers and dishes. Just declare them at the border and pay the taxes.

It is still legal to import US equipment. However, if you watch "unauthorized" encrypted foreign programming in Canada, you are subject to a $5,000 fine. No one has ever been charged though.

The current Liberal government attempted to ban importation of all US DBS equipment and increase the penalty for watching US satellite programming to $25,000 and 1 year in jail. That law died when Prime Minister Paul Martin called an election.

It was the first Bill introduced under Martin's leadership ahead of Bills concerning child abuse and violent crimes. Just so you know what kind of government you can look forward to.

19. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    They still get paid through the canada channel

20. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Actually that is illegal. The DCMA specifically outlaws piracy of satellite signals.

For the original poster, while it is not illegal in the states to get foreign service, it IS illegal to do that in Canada. So I'd be wary about having Dish Network up there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.