Suggestions With New Home Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Beerstalker, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm moving into a new (to me) home this month that has never had DirecTV. I'm trying to plan out ahead of time what I want to do before I set up the move with DirecTV and get an installer out. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me come up with a solution.

The new place has an outbuilding 100 feet North of the home. The outbuilding has power and water, but they did not run coax or ethernet to it when they built it. The home is currently wired for Comcast, so I'm probably going to need to redo some wiring in there as well.

In the home I will have a 4 way splitter going to 3 TVs (HR44, and 2 HR24) and a DECA to hook up to the internet.

I would like to have DirecTV in the outbuilding as well (HR21), and would love to be able to use a 2 way splitter and DECA adapter out there to set up internet as well.

What do you think my chances of getting this to work are? Would I need to use RG11? Would an installer have that available? I was thinking a pole mount dish in the yard between the house and building to help with distances, or no?

H1awatha likes this.
  2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    RG11 won't be necessary for only 100 feet. Just make sure you use a two way splitter to split the line between the four way splitter for the home, and the 100 foot line to the two way splitter in your outbuilding.

But as long as you are going to run coax to the outbuilding, you really should run some twisted pair also, and then you wouldn't need the DECA out there. I'd run more than one, you are only going to trench once so you might as well make sure it is the last time you do. You can run almost anything over twisted pair, like audio from your home theater, or HDMI or whatever. You could even use it for Directv, if you replaced the HR21 with a client...

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yeah, I originally was thinking about running both, but then I got lazy. I'm going to be busy enough moving, figured I could convince the DirecTV installer to do coax and call it good.

I still have part of a roll of Cat 6 from when I wired my current house. It's pretty similar to this (I guess they don't sell the same roll I bought anymore):
    Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550Mhz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 23AWG, 1000ft, Blue - Monoprice.com

I should still have some Perfect Vision quad shield RG-6 SCC as well.

Are they OK for direct burial or do I need to run them in conduit? I've heard of people buying the cheap electric chainsaw at Harbor Freight and just using that to dig the trench for wiring like this, is that good enough?

Running everything inside a house I'm comfortable with and have done a few times now, this is my first for messing with underground between buildings.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Why don't you set up a second dish out there ? Much easier solution.
    The only downside is it would not be in the Whole Home group ?

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes, a second dish would be the easiest if all I wanted was DirecTV service. I may end up doing that short term. I'd really like to have internet out there though, and it would be nice to have Whole Home work out there so I have access to my recordings. Not to mention it is a steel building with steel roof so I don't even think my phone works in the building right now if I would have the doors shut (all the doors have been open every time we've been there so far). I've got a friend who built a similar building and he had to put a cell phone repeater in it to get service. With my iPhone and WiFi calling I wouldn't need to do that if I can get internet service out there, my iPhone would just get the calls over WiFi.

It's a 36'x56' building, half of it is divided off and insulated and has heat/electricity/water. I'm planning on putting a bar, TV, poker table, dartboard, etc out there for a "man cave".

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Lots more than just a TV in an out building.

I would not bury the cable without putting it an the pvc pipe for protection. My son had a cable ran to an outbuilding. Decided to dig a hole for a flower. Shovel cut right thru the cable. Probably would not have happened if it was in a pvc pipe. The cable will need to be sealed on each end of the pcv or make a downturn bend in the entry and exit end to keep water out of there.