1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer 2012 Travel Plans

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, May 13, 2012.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    So, what are you travel plans for Summer, 2012 (between Memorial Day and Labor Day)?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    None.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    None.

Gas is too expensive to drive very far and I won't tolerate the games TSA plays.

4. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    BBQ University in June. If my wife has any conferences in interesting places I may tag along.

We normally take our real vacation in February or March.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Family reunion in the last week of June around Perryville MD. Not too sure about anything else.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    If it weren't for the gas prices, I'd be going to see my daughter and family in Putnam county, NY, then off to former home in Broome County. Unsure now

7. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    Wellfleet on old Cape Cod in Aug.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Washington DC in late June. Heading home July 3rd. Ain't catching me stuck in THAT traffic.

9. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Wellfleet? LOL! My wife's family rents a cottage there!

My plans, however, have all been cancelled at worst, put off at best. Squatters not paying rent at my wife's old house have cost us over $15,000 so no family reunion (Nashville) and no anniversary trip (August) for us. *Maybe* I can still swing a December trip with my airline points for air fare and credit card points for a rental car.

10. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Harrisburg, PA to visit sister and brother, eat some good food, and drink some good beer:)
    Memorial Day weekend, it's a family tradition.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    With Mrs. Fluffybear only getting "weekends" off this summer, I doubt we will do much of anything but hang around the house. Mrs. Fluffybear had suggested the family go out to Robin Beach at Callaway Gardens had her schedule not been modified but going out there on a weekend would be like going to Disneyland if they had a free admission day!

12. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    We just took a 4 day weekend mountain getaway and attended a wedding for one of my nephews.
    No plans for the summer.

13. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    None.

Working in the motorcycle industry means no time off April - July and I wait until September as all the families are back home and early Sept is usually beautiful riding weather

14. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I just finished a family history tour with my brother and two nephews. It took us to Elizabeth PA, Oliver and Laurely Beach MD and Davis WV. We found old houses my parents lived in, places my dad worked, and the cemetary where my grandparents and great grandparents are buried. We actually traced my mothers family back to the revolutionary war and found the graves of many from the 1700's in Fells Church PA. This was a once in a lifetime event and was great. My brother, who is 76, was so excited to see the first house he remembered as a kid still standing. My mom and dad moved from that house in the early 1940's. Many of the small towns in PA, MD and WV look like time has stood still and many are in decay. Davis and Thomas WV have no museum with any history of the towns. The library has many books and local restaurants have many photos but there is no organized collection. I was pointed to the local Dish network distributor who had the most historical photos in the town of Davis!

15. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Spending two lovely weeks on the beaches of Cozumel, Mexico in the beginning of July.

I can't wait. Need the break.

16. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Just this morning was a report that Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Henry Kissinger was pulled out of line by the TSA for a full body search and scan!

17. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We usually head up to California's Sierra Foothills for a week or so. Usually to Angel's Camp, made famous by Mark Twain's 'The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County'

There are MANY wineries and lots of interesting things to do.

18. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    IMHO, no issue here as you should not get a pass just because you may be famous.

19. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    My Father's family was from Wellfleet and used to own what is now the Eventides motel on route 6. Back then they rented to mostly fishermen and the cottages they owned were tiny and had only bare necessities. I still return with remaining family members every 2 or 3 years because of the beauty of that area.

20. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    It's not the 'famous' that's ironic. It's that he's a Nobel Peace Prize winner, yet he's treated and singled out (randomly) to check for terrorist stuff.