1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday ticket blacked out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by akraven, Sep 12, 2017.

1. akraven

akraven Cool Member

Jul 16, 2008
    so my local cable company blacked out my local channels(NBC,CBS). I was able to get DNS service(west coast feed). On Sunday I was not able to watch a game because it was on my old feed. It wasn't on the west coast feed either. I've tried to explain to Directv but they seem to not understand. Help.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Sunday Ticket only has the rights to air out of market games. So the blackouts are based on what your local stations air and not the DNS feeds, even if you don't get your locals.

If you want the games your local CBS station airs you'll either need an antenna or you can watch it online with a subscription to CBS All Access. The NBC games are available online with NBC Sports Live Extra after you login with your DirecTV account.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. akraven

akraven Cool Member

Jul 16, 2008
    So there's nothing Directv can do?

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    No, even if you don't get your locals, your local stations still have the rights to the games they air. Sunday Ticket can only show the games your locals aren't airing. DNS feeds do not play into this.

For CBS you'll either need an OTA antenna or a subscription to CBS All Access to stream the game. For Sunday Night football you can stream it online with NBC Sports Live Extra, while the Thursday night games are simulcasted on the NFL Network.

5. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Back when I had Directv and ST I learned the hard way. Only reason I got it was so I could watch in market team because we were always away from home on weekends at lake or mountains so would watch on handheld device. Surprise it's blacked out.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, went thru the same thing with MLB. And there's no way around it. I was in OC, MD for a couple weeks in late August and the Yankees were in the hunt for a playoff spot and I ended up listening to the games on the balcony of the condo we rented, only place I could pick up the AM broadcast.

Rich

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait, why are your local stations blacking out your your local games? Teams? Where are you.

8. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    With ST home market games get blacked out on devices. Only available on local broadcast IE antenna, local cable, satellite if watching from home market station.
    It's always been this way so trying to watch ST of local market team while at the beach can't be done with apps on tablet, phone or computer. You can watch out of market games just not local in market games.

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Things have changed in recent years. The NBC games are available on NBC Sports Live Extra, the ESPN games are available on WatchESPN, your local Fox games are available on Fox Sports Go, NFL Network games are available with Watch NFL Network, and your local CBS games are available on CBS All Access.

But the exclusion still applies for mobile phones due to Verizon Wireless having the exclusive NFL Mobile rights for in market games.

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    When I originally signed up for Directv, I was told that only your home market team was blacked out. Since I lived in NC at the time, I asked, "So only the Panthers will be blacked out and I will be able to watch all the other teams on my phone?" That is how I interpret the "out of market" fine print on the ads. "Yes" is what I was told. Ha. I should have known better. I didn't realize how much hostage the games are held by local channels, even if it's not your "local" team like it is with other sports.

I care less now because streaming it really isn't an option unless I am somewhere where there is wifi. The cell signal just doesn't cut it in most of VT.

11. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I was in Minnesota last weekend and I watched much of the first half of the GB-Seattle game on my phone. About halfway through the second quarter, it stopped working and there was an error message about, 'Due to NFL rules...' I then went to the DirecTV app to watch on the network affiliate but that wouldn't work, either. Fortunately, I have a Slingbox at home so I loaded that app up and watched the game on my phone until I got back to the hotel where I watched the second half.

The GB-Seattle game was showing in Minnesota and on my home network.

DTV should have given me the game either through ST or the DTV app but it did not. If I didn't have a Slingbox, I would have been screwed.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The NFL televises games differently. It's not like MLB, NHL or NBA where the locally televised games are your teams on RSNs or local OTA stations and anything else like ESPN, FS1, TNT etc is national televised. The NFL's definition of "locally televised" is the games your local Fox and CBS station airs, and each week CBS and Fox have one or two games depending on who has the doubleheader that week. Most of the time it's the AFC and/or NFC teams assigned to your area + the game of the week on the station that has the doubleheader, or if your locally assigned team isn't playing in the afternoon they give you a game involving a division rival or let the local affiliates choose what games they want to show. (i.e. here in NEPA the Eagles and Steelers are considered "local", but because of our proximity to NYC the stations always pick the Giants or Jets whenever possible if there's no conflict)

As for the phone thing, blame the NFL for having that exclusive deal with Verizon Wireless for NFL Mobile where Verizon Wireless gets the exclusive mobile phone rights to locally televised games as well as Sunday Night and Monday Night Football. It's not just a DirecTV thing, apps from other providers like Optimum, Xfinity, Dish, PS Vue and others have to blackout the games on mobile phones if they have live streams for CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN or NFL Network. If it wasn't for that deal, you could have just gotten the GB-Seattle game on Fox Sports Go the same way people with tablets can.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Since I have Verizon, how would I watch the local games? Just through the Fox Sports Go App (or similar) or somewhere else? I have never tried since I switched from AT&T.

14. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Which is why I still have a Slingbox even though the demand for them has fallen through the floor. SB stopped building new units for sale in January.

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The NFL Mobile app

I can't confirm first hand, but I think the mobile DVR function on Genies lets you do the same thing too. Since like the Slingbox it's using a tuner from your house and doing it over your own internet connection the restrictions don't apply like it would if the stream was originating from your provider or the station.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't believe that is correct. We were driving up I-95 several years ago and my son was watching a Baltimore game in the back seat. At one point he pulled off his head phones and asked if we were getting close to Baltimore because the app told him we were in that DMA and he couldn't watch the game anymore.

What I don't know is if you can set your DVR to record a game and then play that recording back via the App. You used to be able to do that with the nomad and GenieGo.

17. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    If you think NFL blackout rules are bad try watching MLB games in Nebraska. RSN is FoxSports Midwest and all Cardinal games are blacked out except on MLBEI which is only offered on satellite.

All games are completely blacked out for Royals even on MLBEI which makes zero sense because they don't even offer a Royals RSN so never could figure that out.

Then to top it off local networks are out of Sioux Falls South Dakota which carries none of these teams being blacked out either. Their team is the Twins but we don't get the RSN here so no games.
    Kids grow up here with no baseball team to follow with the only games the occasional national weekend game where teams vary. That's not how you grow fan base.
    This part of the country has no MLB, thanks to blackout rules.

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The Royals RSN is FS Kansas City, a subregion of FS Midwest. The games are available on channel 671-5 on DirecTV in most parts of Nebraska. (Prior to 2008 the games were on Royals Sports Television Network)

On cable the localized RSN feeds for subregions like FS Kansas City are created on the fly at the headend, while Dish and DirecTV have to stick to the main feeds + alternates. So on DirecTV when someone outside of Cardinals territory is blacked out on FS Midwest and has to tune to one of the alternate subchannels to get the Royals, on cable they get Royals games or filler national FSN programming until the Cardinals game is over and they're switch back to FS Midwest.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  19. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Like I said it's all blacked out here on Dish and Direct even subchannels. There are no options period when your DMA for service is actually in another state (South Dakota) but you don't get the RSN that normally comes with the DMA. We are completely shut out.

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Get an over-the-air antenna.