Sunday Ticket - distant problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FarNorth, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, here's my issue .... I live in western Alaska. Because of my location, I cannot get the Anchorage spot beam locals and I am responsible for my own installs and equipment. I have a buddy that used to be a DTV installer, now does IT work on the Slope but between the 2 of us, we can usually fix any problems.

When I first switched from Dish to DTV, I had 4 dishes: A 6 footer at 101, 2 4-footers at 119 and 110 and a 30" at 103, I think. About 5 years ago, I had to switch to the 48 inch AK/HI dish and a triple LNB aimed at 99/101/103. Signal strengths range from the high 60s into the low/mid 90s and I have very few issues. Because it is aimed so low, I never lose picture during snow, once in a while due to rain.

When I first became a DTV customer, I had distant locals from both east and west coast feeds but when they went to all HD, the east coast feeds went away and now I get the LA feeds. Bear in mind, I am so far west, I cannot get the Anchorage feeds.

I am a huge Seattle Seahawks fan and have ST for that reason. Here's the problem: Now that LA has two teams, the LA stations are going to carry the Rams and Chargers. BUT...because I am in Alaska, ST will not let me watch the Seahawks when they are on Anchorage networks even though I can't get those feeds. Since a lot of Alaskans are Seahawks fans, Anchorage stations will carry Seattle almost every week. I spent a lot of time in Seattle last year so I only missed one game on TV but that's not going to be the case this year.

I called DTV CS last year and was told their hands were tied by FCC. I called again a bit ago and got the same answer. Can that possibly be true?

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Yes, also NFL has rules in place that DirecTV MUST follow.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

HaterSlayer likes this.
  3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Try Fox Sports Go, they have live streaming of the game your local Fox affiliate airs, even if you don't get the local Fox station via DirecTV. That should take care of most of the Seahawks games.

For the rare CBS Seahawks game, CBS All Access also has live streaming of the NFL games your local affiliate airs, but that's a seperate subscription.

HaterSlayer likes this.
  4. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I have a 75" TV, rather not watch football on my phone.

5. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Hmmm. I have several Rokus. I wonder if I could access ST through that app and if it would be subject to the same geo/zip code restrictions.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Fox Sports Go and CBS All Access isn't only on phones (the mobile phone versions don't offer the NFL games anyway because of Verizon's exclusive rights). You can also get them on tablets and computers, and if you want it on your TV, other devices like Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and some smart TVs, as well as via a HDMI cable on your computer. If you have decent broadband the streams are 720p.

The Sunday Ticket app has the same restrictions. You only get the out of market games. If you want the in market games that your local CBS and Fox stations are airing on your Roku you have to use Fox Sports Go and CBS All Access

7. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, I DL'd the Fox Sports Go app on my Roku. I tried to activate and it says 'success!' on the phone but not on the Roku ... but what does this accomplish? It has to verify my access through my DTV account so it will be subject to the same restrictions as my DVR, right? It's only going to give me what the DVR gets.

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Fox Sports Go isn't tied down that way. It gets you what's available locally wherever you are. So for the NFL it gives you the games that the local stations where you are located are airing, it doesn't matter what games the LA DNS stations are airing.

(i.e. if you're in Miami on vacation and you access Fox Sports Go on your tablet, it will give you the NFL games the Miami Fox station is airing)

The verification is just so they know you subscribe to a participating provider and determining if your subscription is eligible for content from their pay channels FS1, FS2, Fox College Sports, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox owned RSNs, and/or Fox Deportes since that varies based on what package and any addons you have. (FS1 is in Entertainment and higher, FS2 is in Xtra and higher, FCS requires Sports pack or Premier, Fox Soccer Plus is a seperate premium, Fox Deportes requires the Spanish tiers or the Deportes or En Espanol addon)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Maybe that works. I know ST does not because I was in Hawaii on vacation last year and my Roku ST app would not give me the Seahawks game, I was still blacked out. Fortunately, Hawaii local picked up the Seahawks game and saved my bacon.

10. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Well, we shall see. I just installed Fox Sports Go on my Amazon Fire and it appears that it is going to let me watch sports on the Anchorage Fox affiliate. There's nothing on right now because the NASCAR race was rained out but it is showing upcoming programming next weekend. That's encouraging and worth some further testing.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, ST works based on your location when watching, not your home address.
    We were driving up I-95 several years ago and my son pops up from the backseat and asks if we were getting close to Baltimore? "Yes, but how did you know that?" "I was watching the Ravens on my iPod via the DIRECTV App, but it just stopped and said I couldn't watch it anymore because we were in their market."

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The Sunday Ticket app is also based on your current location. Since the Hawaii station was airing the Seahawks you couldn't watch it via the Sunday Ticket app while you were in Hawaii, but the Fox Sports Go app would have let you see it.

Basically it breaks down like this:
    Sunday Ticket App -> Games not airing on the CBS and Fox stations where you are currently located
    Fox Sports Go -> The games airing on the Fox station where you are currently located
    CBS All Access (seperate subscription) -> The games airing on the CBS station where you are currently located
    NBC Sports Live Extra -> Sunday Night Football games
    WatchESPN -> Monday Night Football games

13. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    That's why it didn't work. ST won't show any game that's on a local.

Sent from my LG K7 using Tapatalk