1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Ticket GameMix question, why only two of the four games...?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by adam1115, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Oct 3, 2010 #1 of 19
    adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    How come on the gamemix channel they are only showing two games....?? :confused:

2. Oct 3, 2010 #2 of 19
    noahproblem

noahproblem Legend

Aug 19, 2009
    The other two are blacked out in their home markets (SD, OAK) - Game Mix doesn't show blacked out games (if you're not in the market you can still see either game on their respective ST channel).

3. Oct 3, 2010 #3 of 19
    adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    So that affects everyone even if you aren't in their home market?

4. Oct 3, 2010 #4 of 19
    noahproblem

noahproblem Legend

Aug 19, 2009
    Yes, unfortunately it does affect everyone. Presumably they have to do it to keep those in those markets from having the ability to "cheat" the blackout rule(albeit at less than 1/8 of the full screen size).

OTOH, any look-ins of those games done by their Red Zone channel are not restricted.

5. Oct 3, 2010 #5 of 19
    adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Ok, thanks for the answer.

I can't imagine it being that difficult to black out the little window on the mix channel just for those markets, but I guess it must be...

6. Oct 3, 2010 #6 of 19
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Then they would have to broadcast a custom mix channel to all markets. No bandwidth to do that obviously. The Mix channel is custom made and broadcast out to everyone, thus they have to not show any blacked out game so that the local markets don't see them. Dumb rule yes, but that's what the NFL dictates.

7. Oct 4, 2010 #7 of 19
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    DirecTV has two choices:

1. Don't show blacked out games on the Mix channel
    2. Black out the entire Mix channel in markets where there is a blacked out game

DirecTV chose the option they felt would be less painful.

8. Oct 4, 2010 #8 of 19
    sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    Actually there's another choice:

The NFL can drop its archaic rule of blackouts. Only 32,000 showed up to see the Raiders so obviously the blackout didn't spur in game attendance.

9. Oct 4, 2010 #9 of 19
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's not DirecTV's choice, although I do agree that the blackouts need to go.

10. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    The blackout rule has been in effect for close to 40 years at least. No problem w/the rule whatsoever.

11. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    Thus the definition of archaic. It took an act of Congress to force the NFL to show sold out home games in the late 70s, and it didn't affect the gate.
    This is the 21st Century and we are in a major recession. It would be nice if the NFL gave the economically unfortunate fans of the Raiders, Chargers, et al, a chance to see all of their games.

12. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    It's not.

No they wouldn't. They would just have to modify the software that runs on the mix channels so that on any given DVR they could selectively place a graphic overlay over any blacked out channels and (if required) also selectively prevent the audio from the blacked out channels from being selected.

By doing that, they wouldn't have to broadcast multiple mix channels.

13. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You live out of market, so of course you don't have any issue with the blackout rule.

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Oh, is that all?

:rolleyes:

15. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well it would take a fraction of the effort that they have put into a lot of other things such as some silly "TV apps" functionality that hardly anyone will ever use (even if they could ever make them so that they didn't run slower than road tar in the middle of winter).

Selectively blacking out parts of mix channels would be a slight extension of the type of things they already do with putting up graphic overlays on top of the live video on the mix channels and the other sports channels. If they can put up a yellow outline box around a mix picture that a user can move by remote command, or they can selectively pop up scoreguide graphics, it's not exactly going to take a Manhattan Project level of effort to put up a blocking graphic on top of a blacked out mix sub-channel.

But hey, far be it from me to try to say how they should allocate their software development resources... besides, I hear that virtually none of DIRECTV's subscribers watch or care about NFL football anyway, which might be why they only spend about a billion dollars or so a year catering to that that small group of subscribers.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Aside from the software development, which I agree wouldn't reach "Manhattan Project" levels, using the MediaHighway middleware to enforce the blackouts simply wouldn't work. All you have to do is press the Exit button on the remote, and the software is no longer running. Then you just switch the audio to your game manually, and you've defeated the system.

If the NFL is so concerned about having the game be unavailable that they won't let it be on the Mix channel in the first place, do you really think they'd allow such an easily defeated method to be used to enforce the blackout? It's simply unrealistic without major changes to how the receivers work.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Enough of the sarcasm. The real money (as stated many times over and over again) for Sunday Ticket is at the bars. I downloaded the iphone DirecTV Barfinder app. Wow, I was totally amazed at how many bars and restaurants have NFL Sunday Ticket. I would be willing to bet there are more Sunday Ticket bars within 10 miles of my house than there are individual customers.

18. cartrivision

Jul 25, 2007
    That's not a very compelling reason for why it can't be done. The exit button clears the overlayed yellow outline box graphic because by design they explicitly decided to make it to do that. If the mix channel software design were to include an overlayed graphic that blocks a blacked out channel, they simply would not clear that blocking graphic item as part of the processing of the exit command.

Also, I don't understand what you are saying when you refer to "switching the audio to your game manually". The only way to switch the audio on the mix channels is through the moving of the highlight box under control of the mix channel software.

19. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Incorrect. The Exit button exits the entire interactive "app" that's running. If it were just a function of the app, why would pressing Exit on channel 1 leave you with a blank screen? Because it's not a function of the app, it's a function of the receiver that completely exits the MediaHighway software.
    It's clear that you don't understand a lot of what I'm saying.
    Luckily, this one you can easily try and see for yourself. Go to channel 102 and wait for the yellow box to pop up. Press Exit, and the box disappears. Then you can switch the audio by using either the Green button to cycle through, or press the Yellow button and choose Audio options to jump directly to the one you want.