1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Ticket HD availability?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by shenefie, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shenefie

shenefie Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    here's my question: i use specific examples here...last year the bears almost every week were on the fox network where i live. however, my backward hillbilly local fox network hasnt heard of digital broadcasting, let alone HD broadcasting yet via OTA. my question is since my local affiliate doesnt carry the bears in HD, therefore isnt on ST in standard definintion, will the bears game be offered on ST superfan? last year it was for me, but when sunday ticket first started, i got EVERY game regardless of what the local channels showed. we all know this has changed! i dont wanna fork over 99 bucks or whatever and find out i cant get my 2008 superbowl champ bears in HD this year (sorry had to throw that in!). customer service says this shouldnt be a problem, but i dont trust those guys very much. anyone's input would be appreciated!!

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Any game on your local station will be blacked out on Sunday Ticket. HD or SD doesn't matter. Been that way for a few years now.

BUT, sometimes it's not. Like last year my local Fox game was blacked out in SD but not in HD. Same for my local CBS until about halfway thru the season the HD was then blacked out. It happened the week my HD locals were made available on the sat. But Fox continued to be open.

So in other words it's supposed to be blacked out and I wouldn't count on it not being blacked out, but you might get lucky.

3. coota

coota Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Last year none of the games in HD were blacked out.

4. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    If your local channels were provided by DIRECTV in HD they were blacked out in HD on NFLST last year (at least here in the Pittsburgh DMA).

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The couple games that the Ravens had in HD on FOX and I think they had one on CBS last year I was able to get them with Sunday Ticket in Baltimore.

6. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    For you. Not everyone. For most they were blacked out.

7. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I got all Saints games in HD, Home or Away last year. :D

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I thought all NFLST/SF games that were shown in HD were not blacked out for local markets.

hhhmmmmmm........

9. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    +1 I had no blackouts either in HD even when a game was on locally.

10. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    The rules are pretty clear:

If your locals (LIL) offer you a game in both SD and HD, then SundayTicket/SuperfaN black out both their SD and HD feeds to you.

But if your locals (LIL) provide you a game in SD only [and DIRECTV does not offer you the LIL channel in HD]... then in that case SundayTicket blacks out the SD game, but SuperfaN is allowed to provide you the HD version.

The key is not what you subscribe to, but what is offered or could be available to you.

It explains the different posts about why the HD version is not always blacked out.

Yes, I've been there -- and I am most pleased now to have HD LIL channels even if it means more ST & SF blackouts.

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    But the fact that a game is blacked out means that it's on your local station. So you're really not losing anything.

12. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Right ... it's just a matter of who has the broadcast rights. As our CBS and Fox locals offer HD, I expect those games to be blacked out on Superfan.

:goodjob:

13. shenefie

shenefie Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    now you all see my confusion here...wish there was a definite statement from D* or maybe from earl on this one

14. Skooz

Skooz Legend

Jul 20, 2007
    Ditto. I was surprised bercause I had been conditioned in previous years to expect the blackout. I thought it was an oversight on D*'s part.

15. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    There really is no definate statement. Been this way for 2-3 years now.

Basically, if the game is on your local station then count on the Sunday Ticket channels, SD and HD, to be blacked out. If the HD version happens to not be blacked out then it's a bonus for you. But don't count on it.

That's as definate as you're ever going to get.

16. REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47 Legend

Sep 2, 2007
    Woodbine,MD
    last sunday nothing was blacked out on sunday ticket hd here in maryland,that i know of.

17. gusmahler

gusmahler Legend

Aug 1, 2006
    Same here in the SF Bay Area. No HD games were blacked out.

One poster pointed out that it's not really blacked out because it's still available on your local channel. True, but the convenience of being able to just go up and down the channels in the 700s is nice.

18. mtsz52784

mtsz52784 Legend

Jun 26, 2006
    Yeah I was jumping for joy here in Buffalo area... local CBS is owned by LIN TV which does not broadcast HD on D*, but does via OTA and via Time Warner cable. But to my surprise the game was on the local CBS and the HD Superfan Channel 719!!! Woo Hoo... to my knowledge since the local CBS does offer HD in my area it should have been blacked out... but shhh don't tell D* because I love having HD games.

19. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    But, and I could be applying this to the wrong situation, I thought that you could get a LIL for, say Houston, but be far enough away from said local that you don't get blacked out. Like me. I did not get blacked out this year, I did get the first half on first half off thing two years ago and the hd on, sd off last year. Who knows? I think that the rule is that there are no rules. Sort of like the phantom Offensive Pass interference last night (and I was pulling for the Bengals).

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No blackouts for me Week 1 of this year even though I get both CBS and Fox in HD off the satellite.

I did get blackouts last year on HD when the game was on the local station.

The rules are not clear. Or at least they are not enforced with any regularity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.