1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Ticket Max app - Blackout rules

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Bill Broderick, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If you have Sunday Ticket Max, are the blackout rules based on where you live or where you are at the time that the game is played (using the GPS on your phone for location). I live in the NY market. So, typically the Jets & Giants games are blacked out. If I were on vacation at Disney World, would the same Jets & Giants game be blacked out or would the games that are being broadcast in Orlando be blacked out?

2. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    It's based on your phone's location, so it'll change based on where you are.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I'm in the Cincinnati market and my Ipad ST app wouldn't show me the Bengals at Bears game. The app displayed an error message about NFL blackout rules. I was in Cincy, but the Bengals were playing in Chicago. Not sure why I got that message.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    itzme -- was the game available locally? Could you watch it at home on the ST channels?

ST is an out-of-market package and so if your game is available on a local channel or locally blacked out, you won't be able to watch it on the ST channels or devices (although IIRC those games can be 'watched' on the Mix channel).

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1

From the NFL ST fine print:

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Hmmm, Not sure. how about for laptops that do not have GPS?

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    IP address?

8. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    It was on a local channel, yes. But I wanted to see it on my iPad also. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like I can never watch a local game on my iPad with ST, is that right?

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    ST is an out of market package. So as long as your local team is being carried by a local station, then no, you won't be able to watch via ST on your iPad.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Thanks guys.

11. tbolt

tbolt Legend

Aug 22, 2009
    There are other ways to find out where you are.

For Laptops/Computers that don't have true GPS, there is a method for determining your
    general location.

It is using IP geolocation technology.

You can enter you IP address here to test it out.

http://www.ip2location.com/demo.aspx

Here is how IP Geolocation technology works:
    There are subnets to every network. Known subnets are assigned to specific locations in the world based
    off the owner of that subnet. Databases across the globe house these information and when looking for a
    specific host on a subnet, you will be able to "generally" know the location of that host.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When it comes to blackouts, I think that being "fairly" close should be something very important. the link you posted, places my location 45 miles away. this can make a difference

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Personally, I think that enforcing blackouts on Sunday Ticket Max is stupid. If you need to watch a game on a PC or handheld device, it's pretty likely that you don't have access to a TV where you can watch the local games, otherwise that's most likely where you would watch the game. IMO, the NFL / TV networks should waive the blackout rules for the Max addon to Sunday Ticket.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    but the NFL is NOT for local games, it is and out of market NFL package.