1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Ticket screws up.. again.. Why?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ClubSteeler, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 #1 of 29
    ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    I am a huge Steelers fan. Every season, I miss a game or two, due to in correct blackout.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Last week was a perfect example. I live in Jacksonville's market. Jax played at 4:00 on CBS, and that game should have been blacked out. Rather, D* blacked out TWO 1:00 games: Balt/Pit and Cin/Cle.

As usual, I call to complain, and get all the same excuses that I get every year.

CSR: Sometimes when a local team .....
    ME: Let me stop you there. All opf my blacked out games are taking place thousands of miles outside my market and do not involve a local team.

CSR: Well when a team doesn't sell out ...
    ME: That only applies to the team's local TV area. Plus this game is in Pittsburgh and they've sold out every game since 1970.

CSR: Well, your local CBS affiliate and buy a game and blak it out..
    ME: That is false. You guys told me that last year and I personally contacted Henry Moldanato, Ganeral Manager of WKMG, CBS in Orlando. He said you are lying, he can not do that, and he would love to speak to you about this matter. I can forward you an email from him if you would like.

CSR: Let me call programminf and check on this..
    ME: Wow, I never got this far....

On hold for 15 minutes ...

CSR: I am sorry, but they are not returning my call ..
    ME: I'll wait ....

On hold another 15 minutes ....

Meanwhile I pay some European TV streamnig service to stream the game, and it's too choppy to watch. Currently fighting for a refund there...

CSR: Sorry but still no call returned..
    ME: Thanks for trying. I will hang up now and hope you figure out...

5:00 left IN THE 3RD QUARTER: Both blackouts lifted !!!

This happens every year. This is the first time I have gotten it lifted. It's really humiliating to have a house full of friends and no game. I had to resort to watching the game on a 6 inch corner of the screen on CH 702, the game preview channel.

How does this happen? Why does this happen? And is there any way to prevent it?

Thanks, for letting me went ......

2. Oct 5, 2010 #2 of 29
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Q: Were these 1pm games also blacked out on the JAX OTA stations?

I remember things like this OTA when I lived in Buffalo. Not selling out has consequences.

3. Oct 5, 2010 #3 of 29
    ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    No. Those games were never scheduled to be on local TV. Jax played at 4:00pm, and even that game ended up NOT being blacked out because they did sell out.

Why would I get SOME 1:00 CBS games, and not others? And by the way, both games that I had blacked out were indeed sell outs. That shouldn't even matter. Let's say fro example, the Steelers didn't sell out. Well then, only the people living in Pittsburgh's local market should be blacked out, as an incentive to buy tickets and go to the game.

Blackouts should only happen fopr 2 reasons:
    In the local area of a non sell out to promote ticket sales.

And

On a game that is televised on your local CBS/Fox, as an incentive to watch the game on the local channel with local advertisers to help the local channels raise revenue.

I had 2 blackouts, from games played a thousand miles away, both sell outs, and neither game on local TV anywhere in Florida.

4. Oct 5, 2010 #4 of 29
    pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    That's a weird one. I could see if the Jacksonville game wasn't a sell out until late, that maybe your local CBS station had a different game originally scheduled and then changed it when the blackout was lifted - DirecTV has gotten much better at dealing with those late changes , but those situations still sometimes screw stuff up - It doesn't explain why 2 games were blacked out... Are you in some area that could be covered by two different CBS stations?

5. Oct 5, 2010 #5 of 29
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And it was a different time. Even if Jax sold out at the last minute, they were a 4 o'clock game, the Steelers and Cle/Cin played at 1.

6. Oct 5, 2010 #6 of 29
    pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    I missed that- Was it a CBS doubleheader? Same thing *could* have happened if the morning game selection was switched at some point during the week. I know the OP says 'those games were never scheduled', but a lot of stuff can change that we do not see. The weird thing is that two games were blacked out. It just seems like he may be in some area that's could be claimed by two affiliates.....

7. Oct 5, 2010 #7 of 29
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    If the home 4 o'clock game does not sellout, CBS cannot put a game on locally during that game. They would put one on at 1. It could have been Ravens Steelers.

Yesterday was Fox doubleheader, right?

8. Oct 5, 2010 #8 of 29
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would think they'd have plenty of time to get things set though. I don't believe Jacksonville needed an extension, they announced they weren't going to be blacked out on Thursday.

9. Oct 5, 2010 #9 of 29
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    If you look at the NFL maps on the506.com a couple times during the week, you'll see that 99% of the time, it goes the other way: local stations will schedule the game involving the local team assuming there won't be a blackout, but then will have to change their schedule Thursday or Friday if a blackout gets imposed.

10. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    yes, doubleheader for Oct 3 was FOX (NFC visiting team)

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Don't disagree. There was a miscommunication. I was just trying to clear up how it may have played out.

12. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    By the way, I am NOT in an area covered by 2 affiliates. I only get one of each network, and CBS is WKMG Orlando.

CBS did have a single game, FOX had the double header.

We are in Jacksonville's market, and they played at 4:00. So I don't believe ANY CBS 1:00 should have been blacked out. I had TWO of them blacked out.

Jax was facing a potential Blackout at 4:00, but did end up selling out to lift the black out.

THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON!! Like I said, one to two games a year this happens.

13. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    The real problem... You're a Squeeler fan! ;) Just Joking!

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Game has to sell out 72 hours before kickoff or its blacked out.
    Doesnt matter even if it sells out 1 hour before kickoff then as its still blacked out.

Now a team can get a 24 hour extension which means 99% of the time it will sellout since a deal is already in place to buy any remaining tix.
    + a 2nd 24 hour extension is rare but also possible.

15. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    All I can you is that Jax was WKMG at 4:00, and Balt/Pit, and Cle/Cin were blacked out at 1:00. I don't get it.

16. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    I think it's AFC North discrimination.

I am gong to file this as a hate crime.

17. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I would have been really po'd if it happened to me. So far, so good here. Go Steelers!!

18. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    This is why I detest the "if the game is on local tv it is blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket" rule. You pay over $300 for it, and all this rule does is invite trouble. You have issues like this There's also my personal favorite, you live out of the market of your favorite team which on a particular week is scheduled for a late game on your markets local affiliate, but the first game OR a game they cut to at the end of the first game runs long and the blackout of the game you want to see, from the team you PAY to insure you always see remains blacked out.

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Let me try again.

If the Jags were not sold out, CBS could not show the Jags game locally. Further, they could not show ANY game on the local CBS affiliate during the 4pm window. That is a window saved for the Jags game and only the Jags game.

So, CBS would pick a 1 pm game to show on the local affiliate. THAT game would be blacked out locally on Sunday Ticket because it would be on CBS locally.

So, what sounds like what happened was that at some point, DirecTV thought the Ravens/Steelers game was going to be on locally in Jacksonville because of a Jags blackout. The blackout never happened (and maybe was cleared early enough to get fixed) but the right switches weren't set. Where the thought came from? Who knows. People make mistakes.

I am willing to bet if the Jags didn't have so many non-sellouts or the NFL got rid of that stupid rule, you would not have this happen.

20. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    This makes a lot of sense to me. I've had trouble with NFLST before, but never of the sort described by the OP. And since I live in Birmingham, AL we have no issues with blacked out games in our area. Still, my sympathies to the OP. It sucks to miss a Steelers game!