Sunday's Padres-Rangers game will be blacked out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Eksynyt, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    For those outside of the media markets, you will be SOL for this game because, for some stupid reason, the MLB is allowing the game to be played at 8ET against the ESPN exclusive window, which is of course showing the Yankees, like they do every week at least once. This should not be allowed...I don't care how hot it is in Texas, they need to have a day game so this can be available to fans of the team who are paying good money to see the games. Completely bush league.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That does suck. At 7pm in Arlington, it's still hot. Starting late won't do much good.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    This is nothing new. For the past few years now, the Texas Rangers have been granted to play Sunday Night Home Games in the evening because it starts getting very hot at this time of the season down in Texas. This is not like the first year this is happening. Texas has been doing this for the last few seasons now. I Can't blame The Rangers for wanting to play there games at night because of the extreme heat down in Texas. Temperatures can climb well over 100 and sometimes as high as 110 and even at night it can still be very steamy down there.

4. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    They started doing this with ESPN and MLB backing them because the network wanted baseball to make a back-up game available in case of rain-outs or technical issues with the main game. It's the same reason ESPN used to have "regional" weeknight games where one game was only available in the home markets of the teams playing in the other.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Although I don't have MLBEI, I think that all MLBEI subscribers should send a signal by canceling their subscription. IMHO, MLBEI should carry EVERY game.

6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Old guy mode on.

Prior to the first ESPN contract with MLB in 1990, all teams played on Sunday afternoons and generally traveled on Sunday nights. The sole exception was the Rangers in the summer months at home, due to the high heat in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex area. The Rangers had, since moving from Washington, been playing all night games, including Sundays. These games were often televised in Texas and sometime by the visiting team as well.

It was agreed that the Rangers could continue this practice (and that the games would act as a rain out backup for ESPN) when ESPN started playing games on Sunday night.

Its been this way for 19 years, and the games have always been outside the MLBEI package.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Hot in Texas in the summer? Who knew...

8. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    They really need a retractable roof.

I hear people argue that it is hot in Atlanta too, but the heat in Texas is much worse.

9. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    I don't care how hot it gets, it's hot in Phoenix too and lots of other places...the fact is the game is not available to fans that want to see the team and we are paying money to see the team.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Phoenix has an enclosed (retractable roof) stadium with air conditioning. Same in Houston.

I'm a bit south of Arlington and it was 105 in my garage yesterday. That's in the shade with the windows and door open.

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003

Actually, you are not paying money to see the team. MLBEI specifically states that both Fox and ESPN have exclusive periods. From its founding, the Sunday night slot for Rangers home games has been a part of that.

12. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    They really need their stadium to function properly as well.

During the Dodgers and Rangers game, it was delayed for about 2 hours because the lights went out.

13. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006

Exactly.

Amazing the number of people that expect to see out of market games during the Fox Saturday period or ESPN Sunday period.

Not going to happen, not changing at any time during the duration of the contracts TIIRC are signed through 2012.

MLBEI, does not entitle you to see every game of every team. Nor is it presented as such.