Super Bowl - Commercials Only

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has done the "reverse Auto-Hop" for the Super Bowl again this year.
    Skip the game, watch the commercials. :)

2. Feb 9, 2016 #2 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I want to put the puppy-monkey-baby one on an endless loop! :)

3. Feb 9, 2016 #3 of 10
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I found puppy-monkey-baby to be creepy.

4. Feb 9, 2016 #4 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that's awesome. That is exactly how I watched the game.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

5. Feb 9, 2016 #5 of 10
    scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    How do you do this? I recorded the game, is there a button or menu item?

6. Feb 9, 2016 #6 of 10
    bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Just start playing it. You will see a screen pop up that will allow you to skip the game and go to the commercials.

7. Feb 9, 2016 #7 of 10
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I wish AutoHop was just that simple, but unfortunately it's not. If AutoHop is available in My Recordings you should see a red mini-marsupial icon in the upper-right corner of any single tile or see red mini-marsupial icons next to titles with grouped recordings. If not, then AutoHop is currently not available. AutoHop is only available when PTA is enabled and even then it's possible for something odd to happen in which AutoHop is not available, when it should be, for a particular recording.

Since the AutoHop information is stored with the recording regardless of whether PTA is enabled or not, I would have thought PTA would not be necessary for AutoHop to work, but it is. So what you can do is temporarily enable PTA and disable it afterwards. PTA just needs to have any one of the days of the week selected, any one of the four Networks selected and one day to save for AutoHop to work regardless of which day of the week, which one of the four Networks or how many saved days the recording is from. Then, what user bmetelsky mentioned applies.

If you decide to keep PTA enabled, then there are network restrictions, these restrictions are:

ABC - 4th day after air date (only applies to ABC O&O stations).
    CBS - 8th day after air date.
    Fox - next day after air date.
    NBC - next day after air date.

Since PTA can only save shows for a maximum of 8 days and CBS has a 8 day restriction, CBS shows you intend to use AutoHop with should be manually saved out of PTA before they disappear. IIRC, this is because PTA supersedes regular timers. Once the recording is outside of PTA, AutoHop will be available for as long as the recording is available and PTA is enabled.

I'm guessing that DISH and/or CBS gave their blessings to allow the Super Bowl commercials to AutoHop prior to the 8th day restriction.

8. Feb 9, 2016 #8 of 10
    bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I assumed he had PTAT all set to go. That is why I did not provide more detailed instructions. Why have a Hopper if you're not going to "hop"? Thanks for providing the details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Normally AutoHop isn't available for sporting events, but in the case of the Super Bowl they do it for reverse purposes and it's specifically meant for watching the commercials... so I'm pretty sure Dish would have had no problems at all getting CBS to let them do that immediately because it actually helps the advertisers get more bang for their buck.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Probably only people in North Carolina will get this... but I made it and posted it on Facebook yesterday...

[​IMG]