1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Bowl f-bomb may draw flag

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Hoosier205, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1 of 18
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    http://politi.co/14McBJx

After years of nonsense, I am ready for the Parents Television Council to take a long walk off a short pier.

2. Feb 4, 2013 #2 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can't expect much from anyone who chooses to ignore the context to make themselves appear marginally more worthy of donations.

Why should the network be taken to task for something that a player said?

Who is going to shield your family if you attend this (or any other) game?

3. Feb 4, 2013 #3 of 18
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    They alone lodge the vast majority of complaints each year.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #4 of 18
    boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    what time did that happen cause i think if it was past 10 eastern cbs will be fine but am not 100 percent sure on that one

5. Feb 4, 2013 #5 of 18
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I thought the NFL stood for No f-ing Lights... Its in their name.

Next years Super Bowl is being held at the Motel 6, cuz they will leave the lights on for ya.

6. Feb 4, 2013 #6 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The game ended somewhere around 11pm Eastern but I don't think that matters much.

The gubmint, for their part, probably doesn't care. Their definition has to do with anything that is likely to cause sexual arousal. They speak of "an average person applying contemporary community standards". What was being talked about was in no way a reference to a sexual act that is the trigger for prosecution.

It is the advertisers that may (or may not) be concerned. In the grand scheme, it is a donation grab as several of the advertisers probably aren't interested in the customer ostensibly "represented" by that PAC.

7. Feb 4, 2013 #7 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I heard it live ... but didn't hear an apology. When such a word makes it on air during a NASCAR broadcast the announcers usually apologize immediately (sometimes on NASCAR I hear the apology and not the word).

If the FCC follow precedent this will be labeled a fleeting expression. And while the word could be used to describe a sexual act, the word has also become a common emphasis word. At the end of all of the complaints I doubt a fine will be levied.

As far as responsibility ... the stations on the network AIRED that comment. In live broadcasting it is hard not to air unexpected fleeting expressions. Where such behavior is expected (award shows/etc) networks generally use a tape delay to avoid airing such comments.

And without making this thread political, there are people who complain when words are beeped out in prime time programming. The complaint is that even though the word was beeped that it was "obvious" what word was said. The FCC has declined to enforce penalties in those cases. I suggest those people find other television programs to watch.

8. Feb 4, 2013 #8 of 18
    Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    After 10pm is "Safe Harbor". Not sure if that applies to the time zone the feed originates from, or the destination time zone.

9. Feb 4, 2013 #9 of 18
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's a bit more complicated. I think Bono used a form of it on the Golden Globes, there were no fines.

There is a fine line. Kathy Griffin made even me uncomfortable with her New Years antics. If I was watching it though, I'd just change the channel. The only reason I did watch it online was to see what the hubbub was about.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There were no fines before there were fines and then there were not fines.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That's fine with me! :D

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I missed that live... I was probably tuned out by then.

I think those kinds of "violations" ought to be ignored. There was no malice, it was just live cameras capturing real life happening.

Anyone truly so offended in that moment probably shouldn't have been watching a violent sport like professional football.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sometimes I think Big Bang Theory or Mike & Molly are more explicit, just without using the word. If those are ok (to the FCC, not the PTC) ten this should be forgiven.

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It has been a long time since I worked a LIVE broadcast but I seem to recall that there was always a 5 or 10 second delay in order for such things to be bleeped.

15. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    All the news articles I have read about it seemed to state CBS was only operating (allegedly) on a two-second delay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2273249/Joe-Flacco-Ravens-quarterback-drops-F-bomb-leading-team-dramatic-Super-Bowl-win.html

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ravens-quarterback-drops-big-ol-f-bomb-on-live-tv-after-super-bowl-victory/

Some of the comments are hilarious on both of those sites above.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......Another molehill being turned into a mountain by a bunch of prudes.

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    If that is the case and CBS was operating with a 2-second delay then a fine would be justified. However, since just about every other word on George Carlin's 7 dirty word is now said on TV on a regular basis, I see no reason why this one should be left out..

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1