Super Bowl I

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Groundhog45, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    The NFL network is broadcasting the first super bowl tonight at 7:00 central. No original tapes existed so they had to use video from many sources to put the complete game back together. Should be fun. SPOILER: The Packers win. :D

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I want to see the commercials, some of which are now illegal.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

4. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I would too....but I'm guessing they will be replaced by today's advertisers.....

My Packers ARWL already picked this one up....Can't wait.

Spoiler alert....Max McGee was hungover the day of the game, but got put in anyway and had a hell of a game!! :)

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Little known fact, the first Superbowl was the game between the Jets and Colts. The two previous games were officially called the AFL-NFL Championship game, but later were referred to as Superbowl I & II

6. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    And they will be using the radio play by play call of Jim Simpson who passed away earlier this week.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A disappointing presentation. The studio talk over is very annoying. The announcer cannot be heard for most of the "coverage".

The BRIEF player/coach interviews inserted in the game are good ... but the constant chatter from the "professional viewers" talking over the game coverage could be omitted completely.

8. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Yes, wasn't what I expected.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    :down: Very disappointing. :down:

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Saw it live, it was broadcast on both the NFL and the AFL channels.

1 person likes this.
  11. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, a HUGE disappointment. You can't hear most of the play-by-play because of the studio clowns talking over it. Unfortunately, that is typical of NFL network and a reason I avoid their highlight shows (and other programming, for that matter). I used to watch their "Gameday" show, but it's just too annoying. Three or 4 guys laughing, cutting up, singing, and talking over the highlight segments, like they think think people tuned in to listen to them. It's amateur hour and I won't waste my time watching it.

12. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Not sure why they wouldnt pony up the cash to pay the guy with the good copy of the game. Its NFL history.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If there is a "good copy" available then the NFL should pay a "recovery fee" to obtain it. But in 1967 very few people would have been in a position to make ANY copy of the game.

There are many shows and episodes that are simply gone because someone considered the tape to be more valuable than the content.

As for this production ... it is practically a waste of DVR space. If NFL Films releases the video and audio that the studio guys were talking over it will be worth watching. And if they want to interject participant interviews BETWEEN plays that could work. But the babble over the historic footage and audio ruined the presentation.

NFL Films should be praised for piecing together the game ... but it is faint praise from a studio team that did not give the work the respect that it deserved. LISTENING and WATCHING the historic content.

Can we have the DVD track "without commentary"?

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I read online a day or two ago that there was a guy with a good copy but that he wanted like 1 million bucks and they were only offering like $10K.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    A million bucks is about one to one and a half weeks pay to Roger Goodell. I think it was a fair asking price.

2 people like this.
  17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As long as it would be broadcast quality that is a fair recovery fee. The potential seller can't do anything else with it anyways. They might as well reward them for having the foresight not to delete the copy.

18. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    The existing tape in question is not even complete as there are key plays from the 3rd quarter that are missing.

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I think I read that as well. I'd rather have 75-85% of the first Super Bowl in good quality with the right broadcasters than 100% of the game not as it was seen.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They could have used the sources used for this week's presentation to fill in the gaps.