1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Bowl via D* or OTA?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hbkbiggestfan, Feb 2, 2013.

Super Bowl via D* LiL or OTA Antenna?

1. DIRECTV LiL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. OTA Antenna

43 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Feb 2, 2013 #1 of 17
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Just wondering what you guys think. Should I watch the Big Game live via D* LiL of my local CBS (KEYE 42 IN AUSTIN) OR via OTA antenna (Same, KEYE 42.1 AUSTIN)? I don't plan on using trick play as I'm hosting a party for it but I will be recording the broadcast regardless in case something must be replayed. I feel as though watching via OTA is best because it's a "more live" feed with a shorter delay and because It's perhaps a cleaner feed because it's original and doesn't get transmitted an extra time to D*. What do you all think???

2. Feb 2, 2013 #2 of 17
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Good idea to DVR game, there might be some disputed calls, and some great commercials.

As for OTA or sat, there would be several variables.

Does your local channel broadcast HD lite because they have 3 subchannels burning up the data rate?

Does your OTA antenna have a good line of site and is in good repair?

AFAIK, DirecTV uplink equipment will be at one local station and presumably that channel would be hard wired into the DirecTV equipment, the other locals will be OTA'd at that location and then zipped up to DirecTV, it would be a few more links in the chain where something could go wrong.

(If I am out of date on how DirecTV gets digital locals, let me know. They did it that way in the analog era, and I am just assuming ATSC is set up the same way. Back in the analog era, we had one local on DirecTV with a nasty ghosting issue, it cleared in the digital upgrade. I believe in the Omaha DMA the Directv uplink gear is located at KETV (our ABC affiliate) building, but I might be out of date on that)

So for the game, choose whatever works best and hope nobody messes up!!

3. Feb 2, 2013 #3 of 17
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Thanks for the info and your input.

I'm not sure in exactly how D* gets digital locals now days either. Can anyone who may know, explain please?

4. Feb 2, 2013 #4 of 17
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Some are taken directly from Master Control with fiber to the D* site, and others are taken off the air with an antenna in the conventional way. Im not sure exactly how they get from the receive sites to the D* uplink sites, but Im guessing its fiber.

5. Feb 2, 2013 #5 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just checked rabbitears.info, the station has good HD feed in 1080i 13.5 Mbps and only one subchannel, SD version taking 5 Mbps. I would take HD OTA feed!

6. Feb 2, 2013 #6 of 17
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Cool! But what if I'm just using some standard rabbit ears? Will I be actually getting the full data, like 13.2 mbps? I don't have any issues or breakups when watching this channel presently via OTA (rabbit ears)... What about audio as well? The OTA is noticeably lower than the D* feed, but I'm still getting DD 5.1.

7. Feb 2, 2013 #7 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Don't worry about your "ears" :) - if you have good signal and no drops in its level, all data [video and audio] is there. Enjoy !

8. Feb 3, 2013 #8 of 17
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I still record all my locals OTA even though D* recently added ours in HD..PQ is slightly better and I dont have to worry about weather interfering with the picture.

9. Feb 3, 2013 #9 of 17
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I voted DirecTV. If you are watching via DVR, it is much easier to pause, backup and replay, etc. If you are watching OTA and want to catch something again you've got to switch inputs, etc.

As to picture quality - do a couple of back and forth comparisons during some of the pregame programming and see if you can notice any difference. If you can, then go with what you prefer. If not, go with the LIL feed.

10. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Only because of the party would I use OTA if available. You don’t want the buffer delay and sometimes depending on the broadcast station they could be 7 or 8 seconds ahead of D*. I have this happen to me before, where someone at the party is on the phone with someone at another location and the other party is relaying plays before people at my party get to see them. I have the ability to switch to the recorded broadcast on my D* DVR so we can replay on our own certain plays we may want to see again. But my main reason for the recording is in case I miss a commercial I can go back and see what the _ everyone else is talking about. Good Luck and enjoy the game and the food.

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    No difference. KYW has the same excellent PQ on D* as OTA

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am 32 miles from the signal tower and CBS is very iffy for a signal for me. I get NBC, ABC, FOX and others without any problems and all the towers are in the same basic place.
    It is something to do with the broadcast method, VHF or UHF and my antenna does not get whatever they are using very well.

I will definitely be using the DirecTV signal.

13. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Based on some of the feedback, I'm going with OTA. Thanks guys.

14. CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25 Mentor

Nov 4, 2007
    On a long...
    Need 3rd option for Watch Online at cbs.com

We're hoping that it is good quality and no connection issues, since something in our D* system got fried during storm last week...

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Need 3rd option as D* may open up the NYC feed of CBS as they have done at times in years past.....

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Carl, many of us have OTA channels available through our dvr's. That is what I meant, so I still have all the dvr conveniences with the OTA signal.

17. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd use OTA if I got a reliable signal via antenna. My local CBS isn't bad over D, just hope there are no weather warnings during the game.