Superbowl Audio

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Blowgun, Feb 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Feb 2, 2015 #1 of 23
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    With the exception of DISH premiums, for the most part there is a lack of complete 5.1 audio on DISH. And, I suppose this is normal for most shows. However, I would have thought that the Superbowl, perhaps during the musical Half-time event, some sound would radiate from the back speakers. There was none and I turned the back speakers all the way up. Not even low background audience noise.

Did anyone with a 5.1+ setup notice any sound from their back speakers?

2. Feb 2, 2015 #2 of 23
    John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Yes although we were watching NBC OTA but through a VIP211. We hear audio from the back all the time on Dish satellite channels. Did discover when we first received this Samsung unit we had to set it to ProLogic II to hear anything from the back.

3. Feb 2, 2015 #3 of 23
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ProLogic II is synthesizer, is not the same as DD 5.1. Basically you are "faking" true surround sound.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #4 of 23
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So there is no DD5.1 with Dish even when is included in the broadcast signal?

5. Feb 2, 2015 #5 of 23
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    As peds48 mentioned, Dolby ProLogic II is fake surround, where Dolby Digital is real surround.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 signal is always present, regardless of the channel. For example, I have the Hopper connected via a HDMI cable to a Denon 7.2 AVR, of which I'm only utilizing 5.1. The front display of the AVR shows that it is constantly receiving a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal from the Hopper -- whether or not the source actually includes true 5.1 material.

The Superbowl was basically a 3.1 broadcast. Nothing was coming out of the rear speakers. Which I found odd considering all the equipment that was brought in to produce the Superbowl. I would have thought that NBC would have taken advantage of the rear speakers.

Provided that the Superbowl was broadcasted to use all 5.1 channels, then maybe my local NBC affiliate was the culprit, I don't know. But, if no one else here heard anything out of their 4th and 5th speakers in their area, then that would rule out a local issue and move it more upstream.

6. Feb 3, 2015 #6 of 23
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Dolby digital can be broadcast in 2.0 and is sometimes as well.

7. Feb 3, 2015 #7 of 23
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    On the other side, the Super Bowl was broadcasted in sweet 5.1 with audio coming through my rears speakers. Perhaps a funny compression hack done by Dish?

8. Feb 3, 2015 #8 of 23
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    You are right, my mistake. I should have said that on DISH our local NBC is constantly broadcasted in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. There are other channels on DISH that are presented in Dolby Digital 2.0, which in those instances, the AVR converts to Dolby ProLogic II.

I take that to mean that you heard the rear speakers with OTA, right?

I'll reconnect the TOSLINK to the TV and check the prime-time audio for a difference between OTA NBC and DISH NBC.

9. Feb 3, 2015 #9 of 23
    david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I watched the game at a friends house but had to leave early so I watched the last 3 minutes when I got home from the recording. The channel was our local NBC from Dish and I thought the surround sound was quite good. I also have a 7.1 Denon setup via HDMI, paradigm speakers and a Hsu sub. I heard quite a bit of surround. Do you possibly have a setting wrong? Is it just Dish source that you see this? Could be your sat box or something amiss with the settings.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, not OTA, but the "other" satellite company

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are you speaking for every affiliate in every market? Or just your personal experience with one carrier in one market?

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    What's your NBC affiliate? There are a few out there who put another network on a subchannel in HD and to squeeze as much as they can out of it they did some things like only deliver stereo audio and in some cases convert the NBC feed from 1080i to 720p.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Personal with my local affiliate

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Hmm, I get NBC from NY

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If it was broadcast in one market that way then it was available to all channels in all markets. But after that there's several variables including if the actual local channel broadcast it in 5.1 and then if any and or all providers for that channel broadcast it themselves in 5.1. Many variables.

And He is obviously stating his provider in his market since he said his system.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Right ... DISH and DirecTV both have their hands tied when it comes to local affiliates. If the local affiliate provides garbage the satellite carrier has to retransmit garbage. They cannot willy-nilly pick feeds from other markets.

An O&O flagship station of the network is probably going to do the best job in putting out a good signal that can be received and transmitted. Other markets will vary. It is the nature of the beast.

17. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Well, that nails it, the issue almost certainly has to be our local NBC. It seems GIGO.

I am no fan of the Denon's UI, but I poured over the settings last night and I do not see anything out of place. In the Audio Input Signal screen for DISH NBC it shows the following:

Surround Mode Dolby Digital
    Signal Dolby Digital
    FS 48 KHz
    Format 3/2/.1
    Offset -7 dB

Because the TV's input has to be switched away from the Denon to see OTA, I used the "Status" button on the front of the Denon to get the NBC OTA information. The values above are the same for NBC OTA.

Last night I compared the sound of various NBC shows between DISH and OTA. I focused mainly on the opening music credits. I figured if anywhere during the show there was going to be sound radiating out of the rear speakers it would be at the beginning. The ~5 second delay between DISH and OTA made it easy to hear the same sound a second time. I also balanced out the sound levels between the DISH and OTA inputs on the Denon. In addition I raised the volume level of the rear speakers to make it easier to hear anything from them.

From what I heard, there was no difference or very little, between DISH and OTA. Both in terms of sound quality and the lack of anything coming out of the rear speakers. So, based on others hearing complete surround on other NBC affiliates and my funky test, IMO the issue is with my local NBC station starving the rear speakers.

As to other sources; I hear the rear speakers fine when I'm watching a movie on a premium channel or watching a Blu-ray or DVD.

I doubt it's the Hopper or the Hopper settings. The only setting that seems to have anything to do with the audio output is the "Decoder" settings, which is set to "Dolby Digital/PCM". The other Audio settings are the "Volume Leveling", which is set to "Enable". Then there is a "Mode" setting, which I have no idea what that does, but it's ghosted out and only available when the Leveler is disabled.

Despite how far away I am from them, I receive NBC from KRNV, Reno.

That doesn't seem to be the case with KRNV. The primary channel is in 1080i and their secondary channel is "This TV" which is in 480i.

18. caam1

caam1 Mentor

Dec 7, 2004
    There were not any problems with the surround sound from the local NBC station in the DFW market (it is a NBC O&O station). I always use the Hoper OTA tuner for live sports because the picture is slightly better, but I have never noticed any sound differences between the OTA and satellite delivered channels.

19. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Perhaps that's one difference between a 5th ranked market and a 107th ranked market[¹], better surround. :)

I have considered getting the USB OTA tuner for the Hopper. But, in this instance I believe it would not have made any difference since the OTA NBC also lacks surround.

One reason I have not purchased the OTA tuner is because I have a general dislike for most of the local stations. The graphics are over the top, especially the local NBC which recently moved their BUG to the left near-middle of the screen, idiotic, and they all seem to intentionally pot-down their audio far too much. The only reason I'm still considering the OTA tuner is for the secondary channels (Antenna TV (Classic TV), This TV, Retro Television Network and Me TV).

[¹] Source

20. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006