1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superbowl on Distant Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tonypitt, Jan 25, 2009.

1. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm one of the "lucky" folks whose NBC affiliate is not carried by DirecTV in HD.

What are the odds that the distant network channel will be open for HD viewing during next week's Superbowl?

Is this ever anything that DirecTV would announce in advance, or are we at the whim of what happens that day?

I'm considering having a SuperBowl party, but am somewhat hesitant to do so if my signal is going to be poor.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you are saying you get SD distants from DirecTV now, then the chance is exactly ZERO that you'll get that channel in HD for the Superbowl. HD DNS is completely separate from SD, and it's against the law for DirecTV to give them to you unless you have qualified (read: gotten a waiver to receive them in HD from your local station).

Can you get your local station OTA?

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I would say we'll have to wait and see what happens next Sunday evening. Last year, there was national Superbowl feed in the 380s, but I don't recall what network had the game (CBS?). I don't know if it was also available on the HD national feed or not. I wouldn't count on it, but you may be surprised.

4. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    IIP, I'm familiar with the system and such. I get locals from DTV. Only local currently in HD on DTV is CBS. I cannot receive HDs OTA due to location issues and have had no success thus far with waivers.

During the season I have Sunday Ticket to see games in HD. During the playoffs all but 1 of the games was open for all on distant networks.

As I understand it DTV will open up the Distant Network (to those who don't normally get it) if a locale is having technical issues with their local transmission from DTV. Once they open it up in that fashion, it is open for all.

I was wondering if given the viewership of the SuperBowl if DTV would have it open by plan.

5. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Wasn't it Fox?

6. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Don't forget, the 380's are SD while the 390's are HD.

7. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
  8. Inches

Inches Godfather

Jan 5, 2005
    Instead of D* 701, why not the NFL channel with the NBC feed??

Any thoughts??

9. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yes it was

10. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    nope NFLN already does "the redzone" on the channel during the game which is constant updated stats from the game.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    He was talking about D* turning on the HD DNS channels to everyone like they have so many times in the past. There were lots of playoff games I saw in HD due to D* having the HD DNS channel up and I dont have any HD DNS channels.

12. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    Was there advance notice about the 701 HD feed last year? I hope there is some kind of advance notice this year. There were reports by many of open distant locals available for many of the playoff games but I never had success for any of them.

If I only had one tuner to use to take a stab at getting the game in HD is 701 the best one to bet on? I have to record my local SD broadcast just in case so that only leaves 1 tuner free. Of course if I can be present to look around during the day that makes it easy but I'm not sure that will be the case.

By the way, since all the commercials for the actual game are national ads I can't see that the locals have a case for blocking a national HD feed.

13. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    Really? I tried for several games and never saw an HD feed available. By the last round of playoffs I gave up because it never was available as far as I could tell.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yep. I checked all channels in the 80's and 380-399 every week and found lots of games on from the HD DNS stations and yes I know that the 380's are SD.

15. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    It was very discreet last year. There was no advertisement for it, but channel 700(SD) and 701(HD) briefly had a title that was something like "Super Bowl Recovery Pad". However, the title quickly vanished. I would guess that ch. 701 is your best bet.

Also, the commercials aren't all national ads. Local stations get a few ad spots during halftime (which also carry premium local rates), so they wouldn't be too happy if this was heavily advertised.

16. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    OK, fingers crossed and hoping 701 comes through again this year.

17. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    it was fox ny!

18. SF49ers

SF49ers Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    hey guys

with the Super bowl 4 hours away do u think Directv will open the distant NBC local or have the NFL game on the 700's ?

19. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I would be willing to bet that an HD Version of Super Bowl 43 will be on for the game. Probably channel 392 which is the New York NBC Local.

20. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    i'd keep an eye on channel 700