Suspend Service cost?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by evotz, Nov 29, 2019.

1. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Is there a cost to suspend your DirecTV service? If I suspend my DirecTV do I still have to pay DirecTV a small amount while it's suspended?

I'm kind of wanting to try some of these streaming services and just see how well I like them, but I'd like to be able to fall back on DirecTV if I have to.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Per DIRECTV website..."How to suspend DIRECTV service...To suspend your DIRECTV service call us at 1-800-288-2020. Keep in mind that we apply a fee of up to $7.00 per month for suspended accounts."

3. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    It used to be free. Now it’s $7 per month. Why, because they can. Same reason they charge $10.99 for 4k movie rentals while literally everyone else charges $5.99. Yet another reason why subscribers are sprinting for the exits...o_O And I’m sure the same folks that will tell you satellites cost next to nothing will claim it’s due to “administrative” costs...LOL

Rich and P Smith like this.
  4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They let you keep your equipment during suspension. That equipment has a cost associated with it - if you canceled you'd send it back and they could use it for someone else and have to build fewer new receivers.

Do cable companies let you "suspend" service? I know Mediacom does not. I think Dish does, but do they let you do it for free? I'm surprised Directv let people suspend for free for all those years, given how many customers with RVs or vacation homes there are who could take advantage of that.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    My local cable company does but there is a 20 dollar fee and a 20 dollar re activation fee. So only 2 dollars cheaper over 6 months then direct

6. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Those traditional service providers just love charging fees, of all kinds...LOL

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    And most likely it's just a matter of time before the non traditional providers (streaming services) start charging fees of all kinds.

Athlon646464 likes this.
  8. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Not likely. It’s one of their selling points that differentiates them from the traditional providers. But since none of us can know with any certainty what will happen sometime in the future only time will tell. Currently you can suspend your YTTV subscription for up to 6 months without charge and they retain all of your DVR subscriptions and data. Been that way since the service started.

9. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Streaming service providers are a business. In business the name of the game is profits. Always was, always will be. Right now the streaming service providers are in the "lure em in" stage and attract customers by feeding them molasses with great deals. But it's just a matter of time before they give their customers sulfur by hitting them with fees to increase profits. You can bet on it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  10. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Well..........Look at what Netfix had done over the years?...They are always changing and charging.

MysteryMan likes this.
  11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    With DIRECTV losing a quarter million subscribers per month they should have plenty of used equipment. (Does the subscriber count include suspended accounts? Does charging a monthly fee allow DIRECTV to continue to count the subscriber where a free suspension would not?)

Not recovering the equipment would make reinstatement easier for both DIRECTV and the customer. No recovery, refurbishment and reinstallation costs. Perhaps that is why the fee is $7 per account instead of $7 per receiver (sure, turn off the service but keep paying the equipment fees).

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Most people can understand paying a fee for a service. If cloud storage is part of a subscription and the subscription is cancelled one expects the cloud storage to end. Suspending instead of cancelling leaves the provider paying for the cloud storage ... a fee to maintain that storage during the suspension would be fair. Or a grace period of how long "free" storage would continue after the subscribed storage ends. It would probably be easier for the providers to simply say "if you stop paying for a subscription you lose your cloud content" ... but a grace period to allow subscribers to return to their content would be good marketing.

Most streaming is sold on the month by month cancel any time plan. And when the provider doesn't have a cloud DVR service or other personalized cloud content cancelling and reinstating doesn't harm the customer. Most streaming services don't offer equipment that would lead to monthly payments to pay off that equipment.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Many already do! It’s more for Hulu without commercials (not sure if they still offer that). More for more or better DVR. It’s only going to get worse. It’s also more for more TVs or better quality. You know who started that? Netflix almost from the start.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Oh please. All but one of the receivers on my account they quit building years ago. They’ve “sold” and “re-sold” the same junk over and over and over. Cry me a river over them having to build another shoddy, horribly coded DVR.

And they no longer “can” get away with it as others mentioned. They just apparently haven’t figured it out yet as they keep claiming it’s only the low rent customers leaving. Wall Street isn’t that stupid. They’ll be out of customers before long.

mjwagner likes this.
  15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree. ATT is doing everything they can to mitigate what they have to see as a disaster. It never occurred to me that the suspension fee was a way to bolster their numbers. That's a bit Machiavellian, but I would not be surprised if was a fact.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd love to see that question answered by someone at AT$T. Good thoughts.

Rich