1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspending service questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by anex80, Mar 18, 2013.

1. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    I'm thinking about suspending my account for 6 months every year. I'm a huge football fan and it's worth it to me to pay the programming cost and fee for Sunday Ticket but I could care less about TV during the offseason. I do have a few questions about this before I take the plunge, however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Can I do a 6 months on, 6 months off rotation every year?
    2. Will I still have access to my recorded programs during the "off" period?
    3. Can I still watch and/or record local channels?
    4. If the answer to #3 is no, would it matter if I had an AM21?
    5. How will this affect my contract commitment?
    6. Will this have any effect on Sunday Ticket pricing renewal or early bird specials?
    7. Are there any "unadvertised" packages that I could possibly change to for savings?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    1. I think so
    2. possibly. You would need to disconnect the sat feed before you suspend your account and then it may or may not last long enough to watch all your recordings.
    3. not with dtv equipment. You'd need a stand alone dvr of some sort.
    4. not one bit. All guide data and such is through the sat feed, which you wont be able to use if your suspended. plus, if your suspended then you aren't paying the dvr fee so you technically shouldn't be able to use the dvr from their perspective, I believe.
    5. the time your suspended will not count toward fulfilling your commitment.
    6. no clue
    7. sure. the cheapest package they have is some family plan for around $30. You still have to pay the dvr and hd fee, but its a lot less than if your paying for premiums or everything but premiums. You may be better calling and asking what you can do to lower your bill, package wise, than suspending.