1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspending service ... recorded shows?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jediphish, Dec 20, 2010.

1. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    I'm planning to suspend my D* service for a few months. If I unplug the coax from the DVR before I have them suspend the service, will I be able to watch recorded shows from the DVR - it's an HR23.

I really only want to be able to watch the shows for a couple of weeks, in order to burn off what's on there.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A few hours yes, a few weeks...not even close. You'll be lucky to get 8 hours in before the box complains about no guide data followed by a forced reboot.

3. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    Is this a change in protocol? I seem to remember being able to do this a few years ago.

Thanks for your answer btw. I guess I'll need to watch everything before I switch the service into "suspension"

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It is indeed a change. I think it is tied to the HD DVR+ hardware. Not a limitation, but a new security measure so that folks can't get the service and load up for a month, then disconnect and watch for "free" for the next 6 months.

Yes, people actually used to do that. A guy at work today told me he found a quarter stuck in concrete and actually went back to his car to fetch a screwdriver with which to pry it out of the concrete. The quarter was from 1966 and judging by the heavy wear on the "Jefferson" side only, it probably survived in concrete almost since then; at least until this yokel shows up, that is. Took him about 20 minutes, but he's $0.25 richer.

How long do you have? The conventional wisdom was 13 hours when this originally came up in the forums a couple years ago. My single field experience with this is 4 days (and then I sent the dying DVR back, so it could have been longer).

I think DTV would like to balance out the practicality of being a free-loader against the convenience (for their phone ops) of how long a DVR may be without a signal, such as when a dish fails or a hurricane hits (if everyone's DVR times out in 13 hours and the power comes back on at 15 hours, thats a problem for them).

5. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    btw - not trying to be a freeloader. The occasion in the past was when I moved and didn't re-activate one of my DVRs because we had fewer rooms, but I wanted to "burn off" the shows on it.

In this instance, I'm test-driving "cord cutting" for several months, using a Tivo with 12 channels of OTA, plus Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, AppleTV, etc. I'm doing it primarily to see what I miss and what I don't, not necessarily to save money (although there will be some nominal savings).

Thus, just have to know when it's safe to "suspend" the D* service, which it sounds like it is only after I've watched everything I need to on the DVR (which, as you've alluded to, is really what's fair to D* since they allowed me to record it).

6. ncfoster

ncfoster Cool Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Did you ever try this out? I'm in a similar situation, although I actually just switched to Comcast, and I just want to be able to watch the remaining shows that we haven't gotten to before phasing the box out.

Also, what is the protocol when you leave DirecTV with one of these boxes? Can you resell it? I assume they don't ask for it back, even though they tell you that you don't own it somewhere in the fine print, if I recall.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    A number of variables determine if they want your receiver(s) back. If they do want them back, you must return them or you will be billed a significant non-return fee. They will send a recovery box with pre-paid shipping label for the return.

If they do not ask for the receiver to be returned, hang onto it for a few months just to be safe. After that you may be able to get rid of it, but you probably won't be able to sell it, as the buyer would not be able to activate it (because it appears as leased in DirecTV's database).

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Also, if the DVR is connected to the dish when you suspend service, it will immediately be shut off, and there will be no time period to watch any recordings. If you disconnect it from the dish before calling, then you will get some period of time before it complains about no signal and stops working.

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I tried it out recently but not by choice. My dish came down when my roof collapsed under the snow a few weeks ago and I got about 4 hours before the receiver rebooted itself. Once that happened everything was gone ..... and I was still paying for service.

The original DirecTiVo's I believe let you watch after it was disconnected from the dish. HR's all eventually stopped working.

10. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    I suspended service on Saturday and can still watch all of my recorded shows. I unplugged from the dish before suspending service temporarily. Even though the screen looks blank and the receiver is not happy after a reboot, you can press the menu button and my playing list is available as are the recorded shows.
    I'm talking about an HR-20, HR-21 and HR-22.

11. ncfoster

ncfoster Cool Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I know that this is only tangentially related to the topic, but I have a recording of a baseball game that my family attended. During the broadcast, my 1-year-old son was shown on TV prominently. I REALLY want to preserve this for him to see when he is older, but I know getting shows off of these units is not really an option. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best means of archiving this, even if the quality is reduced? I assume there is some way to do this through the "analog hole", but is this the only choice? Any considerations to take into account to maximize the quality of the transfer?

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    A couple of years ago I had an unplugged HR20 and watched my recordings for days.

Alas, that's not the case any more. It's just a matter of hours before it stops playing.

Mike

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    A DVD recorder would be SD quality, but is an easy way to save the recording. Just hook one of the SD outputs to the DVD recorder in, and then play the show.

14. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    I really don't see what problem you're having. My service has been in suspension for the last 5 days. I can still watch any previously recorded shows. I just pulled the plug on the HR22 and rebooted to see if that makes a difference. It goes through the motions and tells me it has a problem communicating with dish. Press SELECT on More Info (771A)-- I push menu and one of the limited choices is is My Playlist. This gives access to all of my previously recorded shows.

15. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You can't disconnect and watch for "free" but I wonder how many people upgrade to premier, load the HD, then drop to the cheapest package... If you add a huge external drive, you could probably load up six months or more of movies and shows!

16. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    I'm burning from my HR-24 to my DVD recorder as we speak. The old Time Warner software (and I believe the current Dish offerings) allowed you to send a show to VCR/DVD burner in the background while you watched live or recorded programming. With D* (and current TWC Navigator), you can record whatever you're playing back on screen.

17. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    WOW. Must be a fairly recent software download, b/c 2 years ago I disconnected my coax and phone line on the HR21-700 then put it on suspension and watched recorded shows for 3 months no problems.

18. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    In suspension for 16 days now -- plenty of reboots after power outages -- I can still watch the already recorded shows on a HR20, HR21, and HR22.