1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SW44 cascaded and power

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by kruser, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kruser

kruser Mentor

May 29, 2005
    I live in an apartment and had a 1000+ installed along with a SW44 for a 622 and a 722.
    All was good until a few weeks back when another person wanted Dish.
    The installer for the building added another 44 switch before my switch. This was fine until the people who just got the install decided to move things around! They removed the power from the power inserter which killed the first switch.
    Even though my switch was hooked into the pass-through connectors it would not work - I lost signal.
    So I moved my switch to the front as all my stuff is on a large UPS.
    Then I thought more about it and put my own 1000+ dish up as I wanted 61.5 anyhow.
    So now all is good but my question is, does Dish have a switch that can be cascaded like the 44 that does not rely on power being applied to the switches ahead of yours?

I can see what happened to me being a problem in an apartment complex.
    Apparently the pass-through’s on the 44 switch are not true pass-through’s.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    This is a DPP44 switch, correct?

If they removed your Power Inserter the switch no longer has power. Even trunking 2 or more DPP44's together, the DPP44's do not pass power to each other via the pass-thru's. I have tried, and I do have 2 DPP44's trunked together in my home.

[​IMG]

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    kruser, I believe that you're talking about a DPP44 switch, not an SW-44 switch (there is a big difference between the two). Each DPP44 switch has to be powered, and Dish does not make a switch that I'm aware of that doesn't need to be powered, unless there's something reasonably new out now that I haven't seen.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't know of a 4 satellite switch that doesn't require power.

4. kruser

kruser Mentor

May 29, 2005
    My bad, It is the DPP-44.

My problem is the neighbor would unplug his power inserter which of course would kill my signal as my DPP44 was after his!

I guess a better way would be for the installers to find a power source near the dish when installling at apartments or MDU's. This way the first switch in line would not take out everyone behind him when he unplugs as he would not be able to unplug the power supply.

5. MattDL

MattDL Cool Member

Aug 18, 2008
    A 34 switch does not require a power inserter but of course if you are pulling in 4 birds then that won't work. So you are going to have to stick to a 44 switch here to get all of those birds and no, there are no 44 switches that don't require power.

6. blooker68

blooker68 AllStar

May 11, 2008
    Very nice looking install, Jason Nipp.

7. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I don't know of an LNB that doesn't require power to return a signal. But if it is just a separate power inserter question, a 1000.2 switches between its three LNBs or to the 4th sat on the Input to the 1000.2 - just the receiver for power.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Even a DP34 needs power. When cascaded if the receivers on the first DP34 are removed all DP34s after that one will lose their signals. At least 1 receiver must be plugged into each DP34 in a cascade to power that DP34 and pass signal to the next.:)

9. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Just add a power inserter on your receiver leg prior to any DPP Separators, with the output facing the correct direction of course. I know a lot of people who place the inserter at the primary receiver.

10. dishguy77

dishguy77 AllStar

Oct 8, 2008
    I feel you 100% I always hated the way switches work. With any switch capable of cascading the voltage doesn't pass from the second switch through the first switch so if the first switch powers down it also powers down the LNBs.

I have often wondered if the following would work but I've never actually tried. DP Duals have 2 outputs per dual. In theory you could run cables from both outputs and feed each switch individually removing the need to cascade. If this actually works it would mean that up to 48 rooms could be connected and operate from a single dish. But again, I've never tried this so not sure if it would work.

11. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Thanks, but it's not that clean anymore. I replaced the Canopy transponder with a Westell DSL modem, there's a 3 channel modulator, and some distribution amps in there now.