1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWIM SL3S4NR2-14 DTV LMB and an 18” round dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Bill.T, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bill.T

Bill.T New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Traveling...
    We live and travel on a Airstream Motorhome.
    When we are parked for an extended period of time we have our dish on a tripod. When we are traveling, we use the dish on the roof of the motor home.

We are parked for the summer in the Black Hills in South Dakota. DirecTV just updated our hardware to the SWIM SL3S4NR2-14 DTV LMB on a Slimline Dish with a H24-700 Receiver so we could get the local channels we were paying for but not receiving.

When we head south for the winter we will want to use the dish on the roof when we stop for the night.

The roof setup is the Winegard RM-DM61 Combo Eighteen inch digital satellite dish and off-air omnidirectional RoadStar™ antenna combined together.

[​IMG]

If I buy a second SWIM SL3S4NR2-14 DTV LMB and install it on the Winegard 18” round dish on the roof, will I get some of my DTV channels?

Thanks for any and all help with this.

Bill T

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The LNBs are NOT interchangeable by design.

If you figured out how to mount the LNB (a substantial project all by itself that has been "successfully" implemented), you would probably need to disconnect/disable the OTA antenna feature (I'm assuming it is diplexed). Another issue with this setup is the dish isn't nearly big enough to gather signal unless the weather is substantially clear between the dish and the satellites.

3. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    There is no need to do anything like this.
    Since you have an H24-700 it will work with non-SWM or a SWM system.

Just hook it up in your motor home, and repeat satellite setup (Menu->Settings & Help->Settings->Satellite->Repeat Satellite Setup) choosing your dish type of 01-Round 18" and a switch type of 02-Multiswitch. Then when you get back home change it back to 17-Slimline 3S and your switch type to 01-SWM.

4. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    NO.....you would need the newer dish. for Direct tv it would be the
    Winegard SK-3005

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    A SL-3 SWiM (or even non-SWiM) LNB will not fit the feed arm nor work with an 18" dish.

You would need to invest in an entirely new RV rooftop system with the Slimline dish such as the Winegard SK-SWM3

http://www.winegard.com/travler/travler-directv-slimline.php

Sorry, no cheap way around it I'm afraid ....

6. Bill.T

Bill.T New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Traveling...
    Harsh,

I am glad to hear the LMB has been "successfully" mounted. The OTA antenna is not multiplexed, it is a separate run. I figured the dish was small but I thought I might get the 101 sat.

JBv,

I like the sound of your solution. If the H24-700 it will work with non-SWM or a SWM system I think this would be a good solution.

supermod38,

That newer dish, the Winegard SK-3005, costs about $1817.99. I really don't need all the the automatic stuff. I am fine with turning the crank and manually pointing the dish. I also already have the power supply and the receiver.

HoTat2,

It sounds like JBv is saying the H24-700 receiver will work with the dish and LMB that is already on the roof...

Bill T

7. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh, also do NOT the power inserter when you're hooking it up to the roof-mounted 18" dish.

It's going to hook up the exact same way your D10/D11/D12/SD receiver would hook up (whatever you had before the H24) to your 18" dish. And it will get the same channels it could get (in other words, no HD, anything in SD that comes off of 101)

1 person likes this.
  8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    [and it's a LNBF, not 'lmb']

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It will, but for SD channels only as JBv states;

I just thought you wanted the HD channels from the rooftop dish as the tripod mounted one which is why I referred you to the RV Slimline dish model. Not that your current dish model would not work at all with the H24 receiver.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bill.T

Bill.T New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Traveling...
    You all are great!

So I will not use the power supply when I am using the roof dish and I will be able to get the "Locals" from the OTA antenna and the DTV stuff from 101.

That will be fine while we are traveling, then switch back to the other dish on the tripod with the power supply when we stop for the winter.

BTW, P Smith, what is the difference between LMB and LMBF?

Thanks again everyone!

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    "LNBF"

Low Noise Block Feedhorn;

The technical difference between LNB and LNBF is that the feedhorn, or the doorknob shaped part of the assembly covered by the white or "whit-ish" plastic cap is integrated together with the LNB which is actually just the electronics part (the rectangular shaped box portion) where the coax cables connect to, on the same overall assembly.

Though the terms are loosely used interchangeably most times.

1 person likes this.
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    'lmb' is out of the picture of sat dishes ... just a glitch in typing :)