1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch Between 2 Dishes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gmfryer, Sep 8, 2011.

1. gmfryer

gmfryer New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I am a full time RV'er and have a roof mounted dome SD dish and I also have a Slimline dish I use for HD reception when I spend several (+) weeks at the same campground. Both are dual LNB's.

The question: is there some sort of A/B switch where I could have the wires permanently connected and just push buttons to switch from one source to the other, instead of removing the receiver and swapping the input wires from one source to the other?

Thanks,

Greg

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You'll need to check the RF frequency range on such a switch.

Much of the equipment set up for switching TV antennas isn't rated for (or doesn't pass at all) DC power at the amperage required to power the LNB assembly.

3. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Bottom lineis, NO, there are no a/b/ switches available that will allow you to switch between Sat dish's, as you must send both a dc power componate and a rf componate to the lnb and must switches are made to block the dc and must will only pass up to about 600mhz, where you need to pass at lest 2.1gig herz.

4. gmfryer

gmfryer New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Guess I will just run some long pig-tales out the back so I don't have to remove the receiver each time.

Thanks for the reply's!

Greg

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    May be the best option as this: http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control-Satellite-Selector-Switcher/dp/B0042QCLQ4

Doesn't have any more information as to what it does and doesn't do.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nah VOS ... not even close I'm afraid. :)

I got one of those from Radio Shack as a Christmas gift back in the 90's :lol:

And it can't switch satellite dishes. The Amazon listing is not correct, it's electronically the same as any cheap mechanical A/B switch but with IR remote control. I used it at the time to switch between the ch. 3 output of an old DIRECTV receiver and an OTA antenna for a TV that had no direct A/V inputs.