1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch to Dish or not?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by galaxie428, Jan 28, 2011.

1. galaxie428

galaxie428 Mentor

Apr 28, 2007
    I have been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years now and I have no complaints other than my bill is too high. I have dropped our premium channels but I am still at $100. I got something in the mail the other day from Dish with free HD for life so maybe it is time to switch. It looks like Dish offers more HD anyway.

For those of you who have switched back and forth a few times, how do they compare? I think the quality of HD on Directv looks pretty awesome. How does Dish compare?

For the most part, we can get by with the 120 package but it does not include DIY, BIO, NFL Network and the Military channel which my wife and I like. If I have to pay for the 250 package, I am not much cheaper than what I have now. Is it possible to add these channels al-a-cart to the 120 package?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.

2. mrdctaylor

mrdctaylor Cool Member

May 26, 2007
    No, there are no a la carte options for those channels that I am aware of. I think the HD looks great, although I've never compared to DirecTV. I've been a Dish customer for about 10 years and have always been happy. For what I want it has always worked out cheaper than DirecTV or the local cable (Time Warner). Believe me, I'm cheap and I check every few years. FWIW, I'm on the Top 250 and it has just about everything I want to watch.

3. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Jason, I am in your situation as well. I am also a former DISH customer who was lured away by the promise of Sunday Ticket. Well, after anteing up the equivalent of car payments for the last five years, and seeing DISH add more HD, and having DirecTV tell me I'd need to spend $500 to upgrade to whole-home DVR, I was willing to take a deep breath, say goodbye to MLBEI and the specialized UEFA soccer channels and go back to DISH . . .

Until they raised their prices. I crunched the numbers and found that in the first year of getting comparable programming packages and service I'd save a whopping $13 per month, which would about make up for the $100 I'd need to spend on a second DVR. But in the second year, after the promotional price went away, I'd actually be paying $3 more per month! And I still wouldn't have MLBEI and the soccer channels.

:mad:

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Since you are primarily comparing on price, make sure you price out the upfront and monthly cost of your equipment too. Dish's equipment monthly cost is structured a bit differently.

5. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    I say that you stay with D* Call them and they may give you a bill deduction or some other goodies:)

6. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Many things to consider. Do you have or want a HD DVR? Do you want the whole house ability? Do you already have a EHD? How big a sports fan are you ("E" has no 24/7 HD RSN's)? How big a deal is Disney HD? Compare the HD channels that the two companies do not have in common because there are several. Compare lease payments for exactly what you want in equipment. I've had both and PQ seems equal to me.

7. galaxie428

galaxie428 Mentor

Apr 28, 2007
    We currently have 1 HD DVR. The MRV sounds nice but we don't have it, that is $3 more a month and we would lose out ability to record more than two shows at a time from what I understand.

I don't watch many sports, just the Colts.

Dish seems to offer more HD but I haven't really compared.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The HD is the best I've seen. My neighbor has DirecTV and I've seen it. It's not as Dish. Miltary Channel isn't on Dish yet.

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    What's on channel 195 then?

10. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    HD IS HD, no inbetween.

11. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Also, MOST HD Quality is related to the TV, not the provider. I have 3 HDTVs and all of them is better in their own way.

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Not exactly, compression and bitrate play a large role. 1080P from a bluray is not equal to 1080P via satellite.

13. ASAOG

ASAOG AllStar

Oct 7, 2008
    Made the jump to Dish from DTV about 2 months ago after being a 20 year DTV customer. I had been considering the move for a while because of the sluggish performance of my DTV HD-DVRs (HR20 and HR22). I was concerned about Dish picture quality because of reports I had read. What I learned: PQ is equal to or better than DTV IMHO. I got the top of the line Dish 922 DVR and it works great. I particularly like the TV everywhere feature made possible by the SlingBox in the system. I can even watch TV live or recordings via my smartphone. You can keep costs down with auto-billing and a 2year commitment. I have no major complaints about DTV, their programming, or their service. I just believe their hardware/software was getting overtaxed by all the bells and whistles. Since my home was pre-wired for DTV, the total install switchover took less than 2 hours including a new satellite dish and 3 receivers. My only problem so far is automatically punching in old DTV channel numbers on my new Dish receivers. After 20 years, old habits are hard to get rid of :lol:

14. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    If you are close to all your local channels antennas, I think Dish still has the option to not get locals and use your own antenna. This would save $5 a month. You just don't get a "guide" but the locals and sub channels will show and you can program recordings manually. I don't think Dish will give anything for Paperless and auto billing. I would not get it unless you get something for it. Save it for when they a promo. Also Dish is supposed to be giving Starz for free for 1 year for their 30th anniversary. Make sure you get it. Dish's DVR hold more hours of HD recording, 30.

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Nope, locals are mandatory on all packages now.

16. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I am a very long time Dish subscriber. So while I don't want to talk you into switching, I don't want to talk you out of it either!

My concern is, I don't think in the end you will save that much money. Dish can be less expensive, but not in every case. So if money is the real motivating factor, I would look at closely.

Now, I do think their receievers are overall better judging from my friend's against mine. I also think, if Sports is not your number 1 thing, but movies are, Dish is better structured for that.
    I do not know all the things DTV receivers can do, but one that I like alot with my Dish receiver is the ability to record three channels at once. Two from satellite, and one from an OTA.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you're a die-hard sports nut - you will probably want to stay with Direct TV. This isn't to say there aren't sports on E* - only that D* puts more emphasis on them.

18. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I have directv but my friend has dish sd forever. I just bought him a new hdtv and tried to upgrade his dish system matching the new customer deal. Comparing new deals for free complete new dish install with 1 hd dvr(612) and 1 hd receiver(211) and free hd for life with top 250 and free hbo and showtime for 3 months. The bill for 1 year is $65 per month with fees.

With directv the choice extra is $15 per month cheaper for 1 year. And we each get $100 for the buddy plan. And I can get him a good deal on sunday ticket next July for his beloved Packers! Everything else is very similar. Directv is clearly the better deal. Except he loves horse racing and directv doesn't have hrtv (horse racing tv) so I'm trying to keep him with dish.

This is what i've done to schedule an install for tomorrow, saturday when my friend is off work. Dish is installing that new hd deal for me in apartment A. Except there is no apartment connected to his house! And I want the feeds to go to his living room and bedroom. And I actually live 1000 miles away and won't be there.

Today I called in as him with account number and pin. I got notes written to get him free everything except hbo and showtime. I forgot to mention them and now they gave me "platinum" instead. Didn't even try for $200 buddy discount. Just want him to get hd tomorrow for good deal. They need credit card with his name/not mine so their upgrade isn't scheduled yet. Dish is just waiting for call from them to schedule upgrade with visa #. May have 2 dish installs coming saturday and only need 1. Any suggestion comments?

19. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I would recommend you go with the 722K. If you can draw in the locals with an outside antenna from say Indy then include the module for the outside antenna hookup ( I pick up all the locals in Phoenix with a $19 rabbit ear antenna from Wal-Mart). That way you can record on 4 different tuners. Go with the 200 package which gets you the RSN's as well as the NFL network. With the specials Dish is offering you should save considerable $$$ over the next two years. The 722K is fast, has a nice remote and you can add up to a 2TB external hard drive which will give you a total of .5TB with the 722K plus the size of TB of your EHD. The EHD is an awesome addition.

20. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Is anyone else's head spinnng?:confused: