Switched to Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 2, 2019 #1 of 43
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    With the pending demise of mobile dvr out of home viewing I had Dish installed yesterday. First impressions on the HD Quality I don’t really see a difference on any of my TV’s. Speed wise the hopper 3 definitely blows the HS17 and the HR54 out of the water. Another nice thing is everything worked out of the gate. Logos downloaded in about 20 min and didn’t have to wait 24 hours for on demand or anything else to work. Joey 3’s are about on par speed wise compared to my C61’s. Neither is Tivo Mini Vox fast. Dish Anywhere works great also. There are definitely difference quirks with the UI but suspect will get used to it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Feb 2, 2019 #2 of 43
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Mobile DVR going away? I missed that. I use mine almost daily.

3. Feb 2, 2019 #3 of 43
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yup. Has been removed from the latest CE software and release notes say it is not coming back

4. Feb 2, 2019 #4 of 43
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I bought the original nomad and then they killed it.

But the mobile DVR was released and although problematic at times, it has been functional. Netflix Downloads and Prime Video work with 100% reliability. Not sure why DIRECTV couldn't figure this out.

This will be the final nail in that proverbial coffin for me. But I'm not the deciding vote. And my wife doesn't use mobile DVR at all, so she won't miss it.

5. Feb 2, 2019 #5 of 43
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They are stumbling blocks. That Hallmark Channel...

Rich

6. Feb 2, 2019 #6 of 43
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Mobile dvr??

Watching DVR shows on the app??

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

7. Feb 2, 2019 #7 of 43
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes. Seems so far you can still watch everything inside your home and load shows onto it. But outside of the house you can’t watch your dvr or watch all of your Channels

8. Feb 2, 2019 #8 of 43
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Mobile DVR allows you to copy shows from your genie to a mobile device. I travel a lot for work and will watch my TV shows on my tablet while flying (without WiFi). Shows expire on your device after 30 days and you have to be connected to your home network to download shows. Very convenient feature.

dtv757 likes this.
  9. Feb 2, 2019 #9 of 43
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I thought after this change you could still copy shows to a mobile device, you just couldn't stream them off your Genie directly to your device?

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Correct. I said above you can still load shows onto your device

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So then post #3 was wrong....mobile DVR isn't going away, just the ability to watch from a device while at home.

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Which is HUGE......that cannot be understated. For my use.....that is the biggest part of Mobile DVR. "Loading shows" is a PITA. I'll see what the NFL does, but if ST opens up, I'm out and will go with someone else.

Edit: And for what it's worth, the engineers who couldn't make it work right and the managers who made the decision are dopes for doing this. They flat out don't get the paradigm shift and stuff like this will continue to cost them subscribers.

gio12 likes this.
  13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Oh I agree. TiVo is finally bringing cell streaming for IOS this year. Which means when this rolls out Directv will be the only one I can’t sit somewhere on LTE and either watch my DVR or stream all of my channels

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Oh agree. I mean come on. At some point hire the guys from TiVo or dish to make this work. To me the biggest issue is the way there software loads. Mobile Dvr on demand and such should be up and active on the initial software payload Not this it needs to download crap and then possibly restart but only does that when no one is watching tv or there is no recordings scheduled

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    How much does this really matter though? Can't you get most everything you record on-demand anyway? Does the Directv mobile app do on demand? If not, maybe they will add that, since on demand capability would cover the large majority of what people would be streaming off their DVR.

No one knows what Directv's plans are here, only that the capability has recently been removed in a version of firmware that is currently CE only. Presumably they will make some sort of announce before that firmware goes NR onto the boxes of unsuspecting customers, that might make their strategy more clear if it isn't just "we don't want to support this anymore".

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    As long as I can copy to a device and watch without WiFi, I'm good.

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Guess that depends. I travel a lot and can be on the road a lot. Now I can live stream my local RSN and watch the pens. Once this hits I won’t be able to. You can get most on demand but not all. CBS and NBC are very stingy with releasing any somewhat new episodes on demand It is not so much the streaming off the dvr. It is the you can’t live stream all of your channels or locals without it working. You can stream about 90% of the nationals but not all. For me here in Pittsburgh. When it is working I can live stream the major 4, ion mytv pbs and RSN. When it isn’t only nbc cbs.

Quite frankly they should have revealed there plans for this when they released the firmware to testers. Because if there was a planned alternative I would have stayed. Unfortunately though the two owners over there Carl and Stuart don’t go to bat for the testers at all. They are more interested in keeping there contacts happy then pressing them for questions Time to grow a set and ask questions instead of just taking whatever they give you

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  18. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That assumes the people writing the software know the plan, rather than being told "remove support for mobile DVR". If something else is intended to replace it, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the Genie.

Think about what Directv is doing in a few months - they are going to introduce a new delivery method for Directv that will use IP instead of satellite. There is no Genie in that IP version, so anything that relies the Genie needs to be done differently or go away. Makes sense they'd want to streamline things and have the same solution for both. They are going to want to tell people they have equivalent functionality, and probably that means if there's something you can only do with satellite if they have no other choice they'll remove it to preserve that equivalence.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They know. There isn’t anyway they don’t know. You honestly think they sat in a meeting being told to remove this without anyone asking what the replacement is or what the plan is. If the plan is related to the IP release and they plan to change the way your mobile device authenticates you to receive your locals then I am fine with that. As long as I can still receive them

If you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You mentioned it contained that information in the Release Notes. Aren't those notes available before you install the firmware?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.