1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switched to VOIP service DVR won't dial out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gquiring, Nov 22, 2008.

1. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I have a HR22, it's trying several times a day now to dial out with no success. Are there any prefix codes I need to use to maybe get this working? My VOIP service is Voice Pulse.

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't know of any prefixes but I did a search on VOIP and the HR20 and here are the results.

http://www.dbstalk.com/search.php?searchid=4009250

I'm reading through them and throught you also might like to.

Sorry but I have regular phone, hopefully someone with VOIP can be more helpful.

Mike

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Is your HR22 network attached since I thought if they had a working internet connection that they'd use that vs. a phone line to call home.

4. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    It is network attached. I seem to get the impression that some things are dial up only. It's also annoying to see it dial out several times a day. If I pull the phone line I loose the caller id feature.

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I haven't had phone lines connected for about a year. All communication has been via the network connection.

True, I don't have CID but I'm pretty sure that's the only thing missing.

Mike

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    IIRC If you leave the phone unhooked for a few days it will switch to using network and then stay that way..

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Couldn't get mine to work last year either. Just unplugged the phone line.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have mine hooked to VOIP (Vonage). I don't know if it dials out, but I get no error messages like that and CID works.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    VOIP is kind of a coin toss with regard to analog modems such as the satellite receivers and DVRs use. The two technologies are inherently incompatible, but will sometimes work. If it doesn't work, there isn't much you can do to get it to work. You can call your VOIP provider and ask about using an analog modem (such as an alarm system, an old style computer modem, a fax machine, etc.) and see if they have any options to better support that.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I've got Vonage and it works fine with the receivers dialing out but as mentioned, VOIP in general is kinda a crap shoot with analog modems trying to dial out. I had various success with DirecTivo's dialing out over Vonage. Some would just fine, others not so much.

11. satjoe

satjoe AllStar

Oct 28, 2008
    Should be no problem, check your polarity and make sure that only the inside pins on the RJ11 fitting are used plugged into the modem. Vonage, comcast, TW and charter have all been working with analog for years now to work with alarms. some older fax machines will not work with incorrect polarity. Yes if you are networked you don't need phone line but who wants to give up caller ID, I know it is a great feature for myself.

Good Luck

12. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    Is this really true? Will it also start using the network if you leave the phone line connected but it fails to successfully connect after a few days?

I just switched to VOIP and started seeing this problem recently. The VOIP outgoing call logs show an endless attempt of one or both of my HD DVR's calling out every 90 minutes to 800-531-5602 with no success. There seems to be no way to stop this cycle short of pulling the phone plug. Both of my receivers are networked to the Internet, so I don't see a valid reason for the phone call in the first place. The software developers really need to change this procedure once a valid network connection is detected by the receiver. I love the caller ID feature and is the reason why the phone line is still connected. If I have to disconnect it for a few days just to stop it from dialing out, then I will do so.

13. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    How would you manual Dial this number from your phone?

I would Dial it 1-800-531-5602 , Not trying to insult you but just asking.

I don't have VOIP and one or more of my recivers dial out about once a month the only way I know it is the lite on my wireless hadset Flashes (on & Off) and when i pick up the call it is data tone (handshake)

The Set tops will tell on you (as in) what channels you watch and how long etc. and they do report in at times. I have the NFL ticket and it requires (fine print) that a landline phone connection be manitained (reason unknown)? except to report in that it's connected FOLKS that have NFL ST and don't (NEVER) have had a phone no need to bash that statement, Just repeating what the D* disclaimer states. :D

14. PersistenceOfVision

PersistenceOfVision Cool Member

Jun 5, 2008
    My HR10-250 lost it's phone connection when I changed over to Call Vantage. Call Vantage requires 10 digit dialing, and the HR10-250 by default used 7 digit dialing. Thus I lost my ability to record until the TIVO HR10-250 could connect.

I am not sure if this is what you are referring to but it is the only issue I have had with my VOIP switch (it's been several months now).

My HR20-100 is connected to both my network and phone lines w/o any issues. CID shows up just fine, and it does NOT use the phone line to dial out since I have all the VOIP call log data and I have monitored it.

I do see the HR10-250's outgoing calls in my call logs.

15. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    My VOIP service doesn't require "1" to be dialed.....just like dialing from a cell phone. It actually dials out and tries to connect, but VOIP typically can't handle the analog modem tones.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Why not try it and see what happens? Certainly nothing bad will happen. :) What I might do to kickstart it is unplug the phone line and then run the system test and it will fail the phone line test so it will know it's not connected.

17. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

IMO, just another flaw on the software side.

It should never dial out once it's network connected to the Internet.

18. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'm using VOIP through my cable ISP and it's working just fine with the HR2x boxes in the house.

19. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    Okay, I disconnected the phone line for 10 days. I even ran the "System Test" as suggested to get the phone line "failed" status. As soon as I re-connect the phone line back to my HR20-100, the endless cycle of phone call attempts to 800-531-5602 immediately began again. There's nothing wrong with my network connection to the Internet. "System Test" shows OK for network and Internet connectivity, VOD works good, so there's not a problem with my network connection.

What gives? Anyone else have a solution.

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Modem calls are a lot more critical of the condition of the 'line' then a normal voice call, so what may sound good to you may not sound good to the modem.