1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from DishNetwork - Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by EW800, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 #1 of 15
    EW800

EW800 AllStar

Oct 1, 2010
    Hello, All --

I am very seriously considering switching from DishNetowrk to Direct TV. I am a bit overwhelmed about what I will need in the way of DVR's... I am hoping that I can get some advice here.

We currently have four TV's. One is HD and the other three are not. We currently have one HD DVR that controls two of the TV's and one receiver that controls the other two TV's. If I switch to Direct TV, do I understand correctly that one HD DVR will control all four TV's? Would that be the case with only one of the TV's being HD or do they all need to be HD? If one HD DVR is not possible, what would I need for the four TV's?

Thank you very much!

EW

2. Oct 1, 2010 #2 of 15
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Welcome to the forum and to answer your question, D has whole home DVR in which you can watch shows on different tvs throughout the house heres the link http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/wholehome also pm me if you consider joining direct as I have a refer a friend deal in which you and me can save 100 bucks on our bills 10 dollars a month for 10 months.

3. Oct 1, 2010 #3 of 15
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    With MRV and a HD DVR you can watch recorded content in other rooms but only if they have HD receivers hooked to the TV's. They dont have to be HD TV's and there are more things to consider as well. If you are in a MPEG 4 only market then you would get HD equipment anyway. I would start making a list of questions and call D* to ask. I am sure others will post with more insight. Hope if you make the switch its what you are looking for. D* works great for me.

4. Oct 1, 2010 #4 of 15
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No. DirecTV DVRs can only output one stream at a time (either live TV or recorded) so you can only support multiple TVs through split wiring and watch the same on all the TVs.

If you want different programming on each TV (or any of them), you will need a receiver or DVR for each TV you want independent.

For MRV to work (sharing programming around your house), you want them to all be HD, whether they are receivers or DVRs. The monthly cost is the same in either case, it is only the up front cost that can differ and depends on the deal you can get.

I would recommend for 4 TVs at least 2 DVRs and have them hooked up with the DECA setup for MRV. That way you will have at least 4 tuners (2 on each DVR) to record. Plenty of disk space and you can watch programming at all 4 TVs.

5. Oct 1, 2010 #5 of 15
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep, that's what I would do as well. Get two HR24s on 2 of the TVs, that will net you the 4 tuners as described by Tony. Then get H24s on the other 2 TVs (these are non DVR units). Then get yourself the MRV/DECA "Internet connection kit" install.

You can then watch live TV on all 4 TVs and all 4 TVs can access any of the recorded programs on the DVRs as if it where a "whole home" setup.

6. Oct 1, 2010 #6 of 15
    EW800

EW800 AllStar

Oct 1, 2010
    Wholly smokes, you guys are VERY helpful. Thank you!

> Then get yourself the MRV/DECA "Internet connection kit" install.

Would this need to be hard wired to my router or can it be done wireless?

Also, am I correct that a phone line is no longer required, or is not required even if they say that it is? We almost never use our landline anymore and are considering dropping it.

Thanks again, everyone!

7. Oct 1, 2010 #7 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hardwired is always preferable; especially if you're going to tinker with DIRECTV2PC.

8. Oct 2, 2010 #8 of 15
    EW800

EW800 AllStar

Oct 1, 2010
    And another question, if I may...

I believe I have read some messages indicating that there is no guarantee what model of HD DVR's folks will get. Is there any chance that if I switch to DTV from DishNetwork that I would not get the HR24's or is it a fairly safe bet that I would get the HR24?

Thanks again!

9. Oct 2, 2010 #9 of 15
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Guaranteed you would get a HR24 *IF* you order your DTV service from solidsignal.com and not DTV.
    Order from DirecTv, and you could get anything.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would recommend you read posts of those ppl who already did the switch - you'll find a lot of experience.

11. EW800

EW800 AllStar

Oct 1, 2010
    Can anyone else confirm that it is a good idea to go through solidsignal.com to ensure getting a HR24? I went to their website and see that it looks mostly like ordering of devices. Do they do full packages and installs? Would they offer the same equipment prices and discounts as compared to going directly through Direct TV?

Thanks again!

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, yes, and yes.

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You do *not* want to do wireless. But you don't need wireless anyway because the MRV runs over the coax between your receivers. The Internet connection kit basically sits somewhere on your coax and then runs Cat 5 to your router so it can be anywhere in the house. Basically you won't need any new wires, it will run on the coax that will already be installed for your receivers.

Haven't needed a phone llne for years, the Internet connection takes care of the duties that a phone line was needed for.

And yes, Solid Signal is a good way to go. There was a thread just a couple weeks ago about a guy getting an install thru them. Having said that, if you get the full on MRV and Internet connection kit install from DirecTV odds are very good you'll get HR24's...but still not 100%. Solid Signal can ensure HR24s.

14. Radpower

Radpower New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Good choice Ew, DTV is better [​IMG] :)

15. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    OP, I made this switch a month ago. I've been very happy with it, surprisingly (surprisingly because I liked my VIP722 and E* overall, and switched just because of sports coverage).

Overall, I like the D* DVR much better than the VIP series. Its just more modern and has some of the features I felt like I gave up when I moved from TIVO.

The only thing I prefer about the Dish setup was the remote (which is much nicer - D*'s is clunky). But, everything else is an improvement with D* - especially picture quality.

I do think you should do a bit of reading here about MRV, DECA, and ICK before you order though. D*'s system is more complex than E*'s.

Oh, and I think if you order MRV and ask for multiple DVRs, you'll probably wind up with HR24s. I know I did.