Switching from DTV to Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Dean Thompson, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Dean Thompson

Dean Thompson New Member

Feb 20, 2021
    I am going to switch from DTV to Dish and I have a few questions. I have cable at most locations in my home, but not all. I assume you have to go fully wired or wireless. In other words, you cannot mix wired and wireless? Second question, if I were to go fully wireless how well does the wireless system do on range? My DTV has struggled to reach some locations sporadically. Final question, buy or lease equipment? I heard Dish changed there lease structure recently that makes it more of an advantage to own. Thanks in advance.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can mix and match. The wired Joey units can also run on Ethernet only (no coax). How many TVs are you planning on connecting?

DISH is now charging a lower receiver fee for owned receivers than leased receivers but it is not a huge savings.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Buy or lease - you're paying for the priviledge of having extra receivers

You can mix wired and wireless, but personally, if it is at all possible to go wired - I would - the farther away the more I'd go wired. If you want to take advantage of a Hopper3 and 4K video away from the Hopper - that location ( Joey 4) will have to be wired. You also need to have internet access for the Hopper for PPV , receiver communications etc.

Your wiring will need to be in a star configuration, and all the wired Joeys will be connected via splitters unless you use ethernet (I'd have the Hopper on ethernet for this as well - Dish only does 100 Mb ethernet).

4. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The H3 is 1Gbs.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Ok - I only know about the Hopper w/Sling (and by inference, the original Hopper).