1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching out a standard receiver for an HD receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hikeraz, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hikeraz

hikeraz Cool Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm a newbie to DirecTV and had it recently installed (3 weeks ago). The forums here are great. I had a D12-100 receiver installed in the bedroom since we have an older CRT TV in there. Can I use a DirecTV HD receiver with the CRT TV? When I ordered DirecTV the CSR never mentioned whether this was possible and I assumed it was not possible. I've read on the forums about the potential for MRV capabilities coming up (We have an HR23-700 in the living room) as well as thinking about what happens in the future when the CRT TV dies.

If I contact a DirecTV CSR do you think they would allow me to swap the D12 SD receiver for an HD receiver without charging me for a new receiver?

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If your TV has more than just a coax input, I think you should be able to do this (like S-Video).

As for swapping, I'd be willing to bet since you just got installed that they would charge you $99 for the upgrade. Only way to know is to call and ask, but I wouldn't expect to swap for free.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To build on what JLP said, the H2x series doesn't have an RF modulator so if your TV doesn't have line level inputs, it won't work without an external modulator.

DIRECTV will NOT allow you to "swap" the D12 for an H2x at this point. They will offer you a $99 upgrade along with free installation and any other equipment that you might need. You will also be required to subscribe to the HD Access package for an additional fee.

Aside from giving you an opportunity to view channels that are only available in HD, going to an HD receiver won't buy you much.

4. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    If you contact a csr and they won't swap tell them to tranfer you to retention, you will stand a lot better chance with them

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    He just had it installed, there should be no free swap for this....I'm sure they will let him upgrade it for a fee, but it won't and shouldn't be free....

6. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    In almost all cases, the tech will not install a HD receiver without an HDTV to connect it to. However, if you have an HD receiver in your system already, you might qualify for having the new receiver drop-shipped as the tech will not have to install a Slimline dish.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You could always pick up a H21 at Best Buy for $99.

8. skidadesert79

skidadesert79 AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    Just a thought…

Costco usually has HR-22's on hand for a more reasonable fee that the $199 D* may charge. Of course you have to be a Costco member… but, D* may just do an upgrade fee of $99 as others have stated since you are so new.

Since you already have an HR-23 in the living room, the only extra monthly fee be will none since you want to swap the D-12 for a different receiver. Assuming you have the HD and DVR fees already included in your package. If you were keeping the D-12 in the system then remember that each additional receiver is a $5 mirror/lease fee per month.

Welcome by the way…
    :welcome_s

9. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    I just signed up and I got the HD/DVR for free, but when I tried to get a HD receiver for free also, they wouldn't do it. They wanted me to pay $99 for the HD receiver. I even emailed the VP of Customer Service asking for the $99 fee to be waved. I received a phone call today from DirecTV's Customer Advocate Team and they wouldn't even wave the $99 fee. After 5 minutes on the phone, the guy just told me there was no way to wave the the fee and asked if I had any other questions and when I said no, he hung up.

So doubt you get the receiver for free. Be prepared to pay $99.

10. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    Just go to Newegg and buy the R22 for $85.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=directv_reciever-_-82-250-007-_-Product

This receiver will automatically turn into a HR22 when hooked up to your current system and download the latest firmware upgrade, as you now have HD service on your other TV. Call D*, tell them what you did, and they will ask for the return of the other old receiver. Really very simple to do.....

Now if D* gives you a free standard Hxx receive as a swap than that's the better deal, but it is not a recorder.

All the above is based upon you having composite or S video inputs on your CRT TV.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Be advised though that DirecTV considers the R22 to be an SD-DVR even though you can get HD service on it. So, if the receiver goes bad and you have it replaced by DirecTV, they will replace it with a SD-DVR.

- Merg

12. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Why would he have an additional HD Access package fee? He already has an HR23-700. Maybe Dish Network charges HD for each receiver but Direct TV doesn't. Do you subscribe to Direct TV???

13. hikeraz

hikeraz Cool Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for your help on this. This info gives me something to go on.

14. gary900

gary900 Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    Last February I signed with D* and they installed two HR22-100's. One of the TV's the DVR's were connected to was an old CRT SD which had line inputs. The installer didn't question this at all, and I told him I was going to replace the CRT TV with a new HD TV in the near future, which I did.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only in the DIRECTV world is what receiver that replaces the one you have when it goes bad such a huge concern.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    How is that? If you have an SD receiver (e.g., D11, D12) it is replaced with an SD receiver. If you have an SD DVR (e.g., R15, R16, R22) it is replaced with an SD DVR. If you have an HD receiver (e.g, H20, H21, H23) it is replaced with an HD receiver. If you have an HD DVR (e.g., HR2x) it is replaced with an HD DVR. Simple.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Not true, the same issue can exist with cableco's as well. HD DVR from Comcast goes bad, box that failed had HDMI output, replacement did not, they claimed there was a shortage in the area of boxes with HDMI output on them, took over 6 months to get a "proper" box back out of them. Seems that if you accept the replacement box, they dont' own you "nothing"

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In this case, the caution came with respect to the possibility of an R22, which can do HD, getting replaced with a model that cannot.

For those who've "upgraded" themselves to SWM, getting a receiver that isn't SWM compatible is a very real possibility.

Replacing an R22, loss of VOD capability and AM-21 capability is almost certainly an issue.

Recently someone reported that they had lost Ethernet capability by having a hinky H21 replaced with an H20 and was henceforth unable to use a certain widely anticipated future feature that the poster was actively field testing on the H21.

The equivalence with which DIRECTV views the various models can clearly be a serious issue.

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    From a normal customer perspective, and ignoring "future features" which do not exist as far as the "normal customer" is concerned, there is no issue.

If someone wants HD service, they call DirecTV and order HD service and equipment, not an SD DVR that can be made to do tricks. DirecTV has not, and will not, send out an R22 to be an HD DVR and anyone who has one that just happens to have HD capability (myself included) realizes that it is an SD DVR and if it required replacement it would be replaced with another "R" (not "HR") unit. This is simply NOT an issue to Mr. or Mrs. Average Joe Customer.

For the very few "advanced" or more informed users who might frequent this or other forums, there is the possibility that the standardized DirecTV procedures (which serve to prevent just the sort of issues you claim exist) might result in an issue. In these isolated cases, the user should be sufficiently informed so as to know what the potential issues are.

The issues you specifically mention (R22, self installed SWM, future features) are not issues or even potential issues for the 16+ million regular DirecTV customers because DirecTV does have the policies in place (that have the potential to cause issue for an isolated few non "regular" subscribers).

Your type of "complaint" is the very reason most companies would not even consider doing some of the testing, or other benefit added operations, that DirecTV does. They offer us (DirecTV subscribers) a perk, a plus, a benefit then someone like you (who in this particular regard are simply trolling) comes along and bitches about it.

The day that one of these policies has an adverse effect on YOU is the day you have the right to complain about it. Until then, you are rapidly earning the right to become the very first person I put on my ignore list.

20. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    For the SWM, as long as they have you having SWM in their system... You should get a SWM compatible equipment. The only equipment really effected by that is some of the SD recievers/DVRs and legacy HD equipment.

As for getting a H20 when you had a H21, once that future feature gets turned on... I would expect them to quit installing H20s... The H20s might windup in a landfill :)