1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching premiums online?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Tezzel, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Tezzel

Tezzel Cool Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Is there a way to switch premium channels online? I can add a new one but cannot cancel the old one.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not online. You need to call DirecTV.

3. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    Just like any other service co. every time you are taking away they want to talk to you. If you are adding they just let you do it all by your self.

4. badhabit2112

badhabit2112 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    You CAN cancel a premium channel on line. Follow these steps:

Log onto your D* account online.
    From the "My Setup" drop down menu, select "Current Setup".
    The premium channels appear down the screen, and you will see a very small gray "remove" box. Click the box.
    A splash screen will ask you if you'd like to exchange that channel with something else - at the bottom right hand corner you'll see a button saying, "no thanks, please remove". click that button.

I've switched premiums many times like this.

5. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

Ditto to what badhabit 2112 said.

You have to have one of the premiums (doesn't matter which one/combination) for at least 30 days before they'll let you switch online.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you have a grandfathered package (Total Choice, etc.) you cannot make changes online unless you change to a current package. You need to do it by telephone in order to keep the old package.

7. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    Of course you can change them online! See the responses for removing and adding.

8. Tezzel

Tezzel Cool Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Thanks everyone

9. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    Not as of now. I just went online to drop the sports pack and when I check the box it says I have to call.

What a PIA.

10. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    So far we have answers of:

a) yes
    b) no
    c) only if u had a premium 30 days
    d) if grandfathered package u cant add premium
    e) not as of now

anyone wanna add more to the mix ?

11. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    only between 2am and 3am (pacific time of course) on the third Thursday after the second full moon in july but only in even numbered years.

12. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    and only when the planets and the sun are all in line

13. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    Ask Diane, Directv's online assistant.

14. Maui

Maui Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    I had to call thursday to cancel HBO. The website wouldn't let me cancel. They wanted to tell me how good of a deal it was at 50 cents a day. The only shows I watch on HBO are gone for the time being so I'll save my 50 cents.

15. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I never used the capability but the "old" DirecTV (pre-2004, pre-Murdoch) let you add and cancel services self-service style on the web.

Hmmmm - i just logged on to see and I find out that I cannot remove On Demand (not that I want to) or my anniversary free Showtime, but I can remove the HD Extra Pack. I wonder why they let you remove the extra pack but not the other.

I might would consider adding the Sports Pack if i knew I could easily remove it myself if I wanted to.

16. nitty316

nitty316 Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    They changed their policy. I used to be able to add and remove channels all the time, now when I click remove it tells me to call DirecTV. Not sure why they changed it, maybe certain people can do it and others can't.

17. mpar1

mpar1 AllStar

Mar 20, 2008
    I also had to call late last week, which was a first.

18. DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    They changed it for 2 reasons:
    1) so they can try and talk you out of it.​
    2) calling to cancel is harder so you just might not do it.​

19. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    & it took them all these years to finally figure that out ?

20. moob

moob Legend

Nov 19, 2008
    Yep. You used to be able to do it but now you have to call.

If you do cancel, keep an eye on your bill. HBO was the last premium I was subscribed to (had it for a year and canceled all the others over the same period), and I called and canceled it a couple weeks ago. Then my bill arrived and they charged me $10 for canceling it...which they obviously shouldn't have. Shot them an email and they credited my account for the $10 the same day, but looks like they were trying to pull a fast one.