Switching to Directv - A Few Questions?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RobDMB, Jul 23, 2014.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    I am planning on switching from cable to Directv. Based upon my research it appears that the HR44 is the box to request from the installer and to reschedule if they do not have that box in stock. I was wondering what everyone's thought are on the wired or wireless genie mini boxes? I will have 4 tvs total and presume new cable would likely have to be run if wireless is not used. Should I insist on wired units or is the performance of the wireless models just as fast and with as good picture quality? Thoughts are appreciated. Also, are there different Genie Mini models - should I request a specific model number for the minis or are they all the same? Thank you.

2. RobDMB

RobDMB New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    I am switching to Directv from cable and had a few questions about the install. When Directv does the install will they run new cable if you request it? The existing cable in my home is likely over 20 years old and has been split multiple times. Thus I would prefer new cable More importantly, will the installer actually fish the cable through the wall versus just drilling holes everywhere? I would like as clean an install as possible. How is this handled and what would be the best way to address it with the installer?

Secondly, the front of my house faces south, however, I am hoping that the dish can be installed in the rear of the house on a covered patio (my roof is not too steep so hopefully it will have a line of sight). How would this be handled if the installer comes to the house and is unable to install the dish in the rear and I do not want the dish installed in the front? Would I be charged or would the install simply be cancelled?

Thanks.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The installation guide calls for a mounting that is as unobtrusive as possible but some of that is dependent on what it will take to get into the house, where the electrical service entrance is (for grounding) and what kind of surfaces are available to mount to. If there is not a suitable position in the back yard, you might be able to negotiate ($$) for a pole mount in the back yard. OTARD only guarantees what is required to receive signal, not what is required to meet aesthetic demands.

Make sure you discuss any observations and options with the installer before they start. You're acquisition and installation cost DIRECTV well upwards of $800 so they aren't actively looking for opportunities to spend more.

4. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    In addition, fishing cables from attic or basement through interior walls will cost extra and should be negotiated with the installer and understood before the install begins.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Wall fishes are not included as part of the free professional installation and as previous poster mentioned there is an additional charge. On top of this, installers are not allow to rip open drywall so difficult wall fishes must be handled by yourself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    When I got my Directv installed, I had a contractor come over when Directv installer came over. They both worked together at wiring my house. The contractor handled the drywall and the installer handled the install.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My personal preference is for wired everything. I avoid wireless (internet, tv, etc.). However, properly installed wireless clients appear to be working satisfactory for those that have them.

For all practical purposes, all HR44s are the same. The number after the dash indicates the manufacturer, but all are manufactured to DirecTV specifications and I've seen almost no comments on variances in HR44s. There have been isolated instances in the past where a particular manufacturer model had issues, but not with the 44.

8. BigJ

BigJ New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Southern...
    If you already have cable, then don't you already have coax going to the other TVs that DirecTV could re-purpose upon installation? That would eliminate the need to run new wire everywhere?

Wired always better than wireless. HR44 and 3 clients would work, but if the HR44 goes down, you have no useable TV in the house. Maybe consider an H25 in lieu of a mimi-client in a location or two as insurance against an HR44 total failure. Not sure if H25s are extra these days, though........

Good luck and welcome aboard!

9. RobDMB

RobDMB New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    I do have existing cable but I am concerned as its been split multiple times and I am not sure it is the R6 cable that appears preferred.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Threads merged

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    In certain circumstances, even RG59 can be used in a Genie & Genie mini installation. The only consideration is that the line carrying the PI must be SCC RG6

12. RobDMB

RobDMB New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    So if I order, and the installer comes and its determined that 1) the dish cannot be put on the back of the house as I suggested or 2) it is going to be cost prohibitive to run/fish new wires, would I be charged for him coming to my home? Or would I simply cancel at that time with no charge - I assume in that instance I could still cancel directv?

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My house faces South and my dish is on the back of the house on a North facing part of the roof and it has no problems.
    The further South that you live the more of an upward angle that the dish is aligned to and the roof gets to be less and less of a problem.

14. RobDMB

RobDMB New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Thanks. I'm confident the dish will work on the rear of the roof. Now my only dilemma is if I should go with wireless genies or insist on hardwired ones. My house is a ranch so maybe wireless would work ok as the range would not have to be that great. My thought is i'd probably have to pay at least $100 in extra installation costs if I have wires fished to each room (there will be 3 tvs total hooked up). My main concern is whether the wireless units introduce more lag/lower picture quality.

15. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    o would still go wired. There is a 99 fee for the wireless. So if possible just pay for the wall fishes if required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using DBSTalk mobile app

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Actually $147.00 plus tax to be exact if DirecTV® (for three outlets) does the wall fishing. And again this are attic down or basement up fishes, nothing too complicated.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Picture quality is the same with digital signals, is either there or is not. There is no middle way. The C41w are not speed demons but there are very decent speed wise

18. RobDMB

RobDMB New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Is the $147.00 for fishing 3 walls a standardized cost that a Directv installer would charge? Or could that vary per installer?

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That comes from the DirecTV® mandated custom rate sheet.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Any issues with wireless would manifest as stutters or pauses. It shouldn't materially impact controls or PQ.