1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching to FIOS... Deals to be had?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by jaybertx, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1 of 20
    jaybertx

jaybertx Mentor

Feb 18, 2007
    I'm switching to FIOS from DirecTV because of a move in early October. It's way too much of an eyesore and PITA to have a dish where I'll be living.

I'm looking at the Triple play option with 4 TVs. The cost on the surface seems cheaper but once I add in DVR fees the price just kills me. So much so that I'm looking at buying a Ceton device and using a single cable card for all of my TVs. The VMS1100 seems to be what would cure what ails me but that depends on cost and availability. As exciting as this was, there really hasn't been much news since CES.

Are there deals to be had if I call that I'm not seeing online?

2. Sep 2, 2013 #2 of 20
    Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    That's the only issue with Verizon is the DVR fees but if you go the ceton route they have a 6 tuner cable card that allows you to watch tv on any computer with WMC or Xbox 360 console in the house.

I have the Ceton infinity 4 but I really want the 6 now because you can plug it up straight to you network.

3. Sep 5, 2013 #3 of 20
    jaybertx

jaybertx Mentor

Feb 18, 2007
    Thanks for the response. I really think I'm going to sign a two year contract, get the $300 gift card and use that for the Ceton InfiniTV 6. I'm going to have to re-train my wife on how to use the TV anyway, I don't think she'll care that it runs through an Xbox.

4. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Just for yor info tivo has a new 6 tuner hd dvr that you can use with fios but that woud run about $15.00 a month extra or if you buy the lifetime service buts its $499.00. so the ceton is probably way cheaper for you .personally i prefer tivo but i just cant afford to keep paying For the lifetime service evrytime i buy a new tivo,which why i might switch to directv and the 5 tuner genie either that or verizons gonna have to offer me a super deal for their new 6 tuner dvr,if i'm still with them whens its released.

5. davidjplatt

davidjplatt Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    That is not a completely accurate statement. The Xbox360 console can only used to feed a TV if it's an extender for a PC running WMC. You can't just hang the Ceton InfiniTV 6ETH on the network and have an Xbox 360 run off of the Ceton - a PC has to use the Ceton that then feeds the Xbox 360.

I had gotten a deal for a multi room DVR and a set top box for free for 18 months - when that runs out I will probably use my 2 Xbox 360s as set top boxes to replace the MRDVR and set top box from Verizon. I already have 2 HTPCs running USB versions of the InfiniTV with 4 tuners each.

To be honest I would really like to get a TiVo Roamio Pro (the 3TB with 6 tuners) if the monthly service fee for the TiVo and the TiVo Mini's wasn't so damn expensive. The Roamio Pro is $600 (hey, I bought the first HD TiVo for DirecTV for $1000, $600 is a bargain) and the TiVo Mini's are only $99 each so for $900 I could buy the hardware - but the monthly fees would be horrendous - $15 + $6 + $6 + $6 + $5 = $39 for TiVo and a cable card. The boxes from Verizon are only $32 a month so it's $7 less.

I'll just have to see how the new Media Server is priced and what kind of deals they'll cut on it.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If you wanted 6 recording tuners on Verizon, you'd need 3 DVRs, at least one of them multiroom, so 19+16+16+7, or $58/month, no? That said, there's no $900 up front outlay required.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Right now in my area, the best new customer deal is $89 for 15/5 internet, unlimited phone and "prime" HD (70 HD channels). If you agree to a 2-year commitment, they'll give you a $300 debit card from Visa or Amazon.

For $20/month more, you can jump to "extreme" HD (110 HD channels), along with HBO and Showtime. I believe the Red Zone channel is included in the "extreme" package as well.

For $5 more you can bump up to 50/25 internet, which I doubt 99% of customers ever hit, so it's just $60/year extra revenue per customer for them, IMHO.

8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    It will be an interesting comparison once the VMS1100 enters the mix, but it is very worrisome with the length of time that it's taking to develop the FiOS Media Server. Originally targeted for 2012, the date now is somewhat unknown, and they usually do VHO by VHO, and the most recent "September" claim is about to be passed. Do have CEDIA Expo coming up this week but don't see any reference to Verizon or FiOS.

It will eventually be nice to compare contrast: Genie vs Roamio vs VMS.

9. Dec 4, 2013 #9 of 20
    gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much FIOS charges for fees and taxes in Suffolk County Long Island? I know the rsn fee is $3.48 but Cablevision says that FIOS charges taxes and fees on Internet and telephone as well as tv.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much FIOS charges for fees and taxes in Suffolk County Long Island? I know the rsn fee is $3.48 but Cablevision says that FIOS charges taxes and fees on Internet and telephone as well as tv.
    when I had their internet services, I was paying something close to $75.00. The internet was $69.99 a month. So I was paying four dollars and change in taxes and fees

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    note that TV services are not available everywhere in Suffolk County, and their internet service stops before Brookhaven township

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

12. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Thanks. I live in Huntington, and FIOS triple play is available in my neighborhood. If just the internet tax is $5, then Cablevision may be right in saying the triple play taxes run about $15 on FIOS.

13. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    I'm in NJ, but my entire triple play with FiOS has about $6.50 total in NJ state tax and a 911 fee. That's for the entire bundle, not per service. Don't know if they do things differently in LI though.

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    FWIW, my mom's in Westchester County in NY. She's a FiOS triple-play customer with two voice lines on the account. Here's the breakdown of taxes and surcharges from her latest bill:

15. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Thanks guys. Based on Steve's Westchester info, it appears that FIOS does slap on more fees and taxes than Cablevision. I'd still like to see a LI scenario, but for now there seems to be no financial benefit to switching.

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I "jumped" from DirecTV to FIos just about 1yr ago just for the $$$ savings. I dislike their DVR(s) immensley. I jumped for the LARGE savings over what I had, I have THREE DVR's (was so used to 12 tuners with 2 X Genies + 1 HR24 now down to 6 tuners which is fine 99.9% of the time). The software is soooo far behind DirecTV's it isn't even funny. I mean it works, but it's just like where DirecTV was probably 4 years ago and they RARELY update it,

I'm paying $160/month (inc $6.04 in taxes) for:
    3 DVR's (obviously MR)
    80/25 internet (90% of the time I get over 100 down)
    1 phone line (which I only use as a fax line but if I took "double play" it would cost more)
    Fios Extreme with SHO, HBO

Rate goes up $19 starting in Feb because the MR was free for a year so that $180.

I was paying (with discounts) around $220 for my "home brew" DirecTV triple play but without HBO/SHO and with 15/5 Fios internet.

I am saving over $500/yr but that aside their DVR's really are the pits. Just all the "little things" that are missing I really miss. What I don't miss is the rain & snow issues but that was just a minor annoyance.

I have lost ~100lbs since I left DirecTV so maybe that was another good thing I gained from leaving. :rolling:

17. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I went to 3 Roamio's and 4 Mini's. All is good.

1 person likes this.
  18. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I switched from DirecTV to FiOS just over two years ago but it DirecTV's slow HR20 and HR21 DVR's that prompted the switch. I also saved $40 per month the first year $20 per month the second year. At the time I switched DirecTV would not upgrade my DVR's to later models. I much prefer FiOS. There are only two of us and we don't need multiple tuners.

19. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    How did you manage to get 2 genies on your account a year ago?

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Probably testing. There's a few of us like that.